Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siblings with Scoliosis

Hi,
    Just wondered how many of you out there have more than one sibling in the family with scoliosis? My daughter's surgeon saw my 7 year old for the first time during her sister's hospital stay. He immediately looked at me and said, "Keep an eye on her spine." My daughter's other surgeon said the same thing to my husband. I know it runs in families. I have a slight 10 degree curve and I am 43. My oldest daughter is 20 and doesn't have it. Scares me horribly to think of going through this a second time. Just curious to see the odds.

Peggy,

I myself have 53 curve...my daughter has a 25 plus we haven't checked in a while and my son 20 has a very slight one 12....
    so for me it runs in the family.

I have appointments this month to check my 14 year old son and my 12 year old daughter..........

my 9 year old son is to young and I don't see anything yet..in case your counting thats 5 kids.LOL.
    CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
    fused T4 -L3
    Hip graft
    Grown 1 1/2 inches
    25/o upper T 15/o
    53/o T 15/o
    37/o L 6/o
    Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
    New York City

August 6, 2004
    Pulmonary Embolism
    complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
    increasing pain at the T4/5
    point irratation heardwear

Comment

Hi,
      I have five daughters. It will be easier if I just gave you a brief family history then list details about my kids.
      My mother's mother has scoliosis and had sugery but I am not sure what as it was a long time ago. My mother's sister has a curve as well. My mother has a very slight curve. I have a slight curve and slight rotation, but at 33 I have no progression. My husband (father of my eldest 4) (deceased) had twisted hips that gave him a great deal of problems and pain. One of his brothers ( he had 6) had a spinal fusion in the 70's and he still has a big hunch. Now to my children.
      Amber 14 ; 2 60+ curves. surgery next week.
      Jordan 13 ; has a 15 deg. curve with a twist her hips also tip forward and she has a "loose ligament" problem.
      Gabrielle 12 ; slight rotation.
      Isabel 10 ; no problem detected as yet.
      Shayleigh 3 ; (different father) no problem.
      I am worried that I may have to go through this again.
      Cheryl

Comment

Thanks for the info. I wish you both the best of luck. I hope the check ups are great and their are no signs of scoliosis for the remaining children. Guess all we can do is keep a close eye and pray.

Comment

Peggy,
          I am so far the only one in my family history (that I know of) that have scoliosis.

Comment

Mom: Severe scoliosis - under went surgery back in the dark ages (hehe) when they used bone from your leg and put it in your back. Shes jealous of the much simpler surgery I went through.
            Sister: Slight curves but not too bad.
            Dad: No curve or history of scoliosis
            also...
            Mom's Brother: Mild scoliosis, wishes he had surgery to add height.

Scoliosis definately runs in families...follow your doctor's advice and keep an eye on the younger daughter.
            Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
            L2 to T4
            Braced for 4 years
            Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

I have a 20 year old with scoliosis and his younger brother has kyphosis. My brother also had scoliosis, so definately a genetic trait in my family
              Sue Fred

Comment

scoliosis in family

I had a 100 deg curve at age 14- recently had a revision.

My mother had mild scoliosis when young; I have seen it worsen over the years-she is 87.

My sister has scoliosis but mild and hardly noticable.

My brother has scoliosis needs to alter some of his clothes and also spondilolithesis.

My maternal cousin has lumbar scoliosis which is causing her pain-she is 59.

My paternal cousin has a daughter that needed surgery in her teens. She is in her 30's.
                I think I got the gene from both sides/
                K
                Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

hey everyone...heres all that i kno of in my family that has scoliosis...
                  me-15- had surgery in oct
                  lauren-16yr old sister has a curve n the upper teens
                  emily-15*twin*- tiny curve not even classified as scoliosis
                  sarah- 7yr old cousin- was just diagnosed with a 21 dregree curve
                  and i think my grandma has scoliois...b.c her shoulders are uneven and shes startin to become huntchback...just like my great grandma was...
                  keep a close eye on all of your little ones...scoliosis can develop at any age**i think** lol email me if anybody has any questions about anything.... lilcutipie_07@yahoo.com
                  ~*ellen*
                  much <3
                  ~*ellen*

curves before and after surgery*oct6 03*
                  before--51 and 21
                  after--15 and 14

Comment

Hello . I am a 38 yr old 'young' lady who is ever so grateful to have found this forum.
                    I have a lower curve of about 14 degrees.
                    My sister has upper and lower, both in the 50s. She wore a Milwaukee Brace for 4 yrs in the early 80s. She did not have surgery, and fairs very well.
                    Our 13 yr old has an upper curve of around 13 degrees.
                    Our almost 15 yr old daughter has an upper curve of 53. It's progressing rapidly even with the use of a brace for the past 2 yrs.
                    We are hopeful that our younger daughter's will stay where it is.
                    Daughter, Lacey has an upper curve of about 55 degrees. She will have posterior surgery in June.

Comment

siblings with scoliosis

I have scoliosis, wore a brace as teen, do not know what the degree is but my spine looks very straight so i am assuming that it is mild. Daughter 14 - 50 degree curve
                      son 10 - so far so good
                      daughter 7 - so far so good too, but too soon to tell for both of them yet. My older daugther was fine at their ages too. Keeping our fingers crossed, do not want to have to go through this again with them

Jennifer

Comment

in my family history i kno of only my granpa on my dads side having slight scoliosis and never needed or got checked 2 need surgery. i just got surgery and my dad may have a slight curve but nothing 2 b worried about or nething.
                        ~Zach

Comment

siblings with scoliosis

zach
                          how long ago did you have surgery? we just set a date for our daughters surgery for november 3rd
                          jennifer

Comment

Hi...

I'm one of eight siblings, and the only one with scoliosis.

If you have at least 4 family members with scoliosis and haven't already done so, I'd like to urge you to contact Carol Wise at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital. She's conducting research into the genetics of scoliosis, and was specifically looking for families where at least 4 members are affected. I don't know if she's still looking, but it might be worthwhile for you to make contact. I have 2 phone numbers for her: (214)559-7881 and (214)648-1677.

Regards,
                            Linda
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

here: female, 16, 60+ when diagnosed at 13, surgery Aug20,2001;
                              I have three brothers, none of them have it as far as we know two haven't hit puberty yet.
                              My family history isn't much. My mother has a slight curve of like 12, that hardly counts. My mother's sisters though one has it very slight like her, the other has it major, but never had surgery for reason of having lots of other back defects, so surgery would have caused paralysis. Watching her two children closly.
                              I can not go any farther back because my grandparents are my mothers step parents.
                              No sign of it on my fathers' side

Comment

Working...
                              X