Re-Post: Surgery of Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Post: Surgery of Video

I was searching the past post archives, and I happened across the following post from LindaRacine. The video is still on the site and is acessible by clicking the link in her message before and searching for "scoliosis," just as she says below. I watched it and it actually made me feel better to know what they will do and how. If you have the stomach for it, I recommend a look:

Akron Children's Hospital to Air Internet Broadcast of Spinal Fusion Live From the OR

AKRON, Ohio, Aug. 23 /PRNewswire/ -- On Friday, Sept. 8, from noon to 1 p.m., doctors, parents and patients from across the globe can watch a live surgery to correct scoliosis - from the convenience and comfort of their own homes or offices. The one-hour live webcast will show Akron Children's Hospital's Musculoskeletal Health Center Director William Schrader, M.D., and Patrick Riley, M.D., surgically correcting a scoliosis spinal deformity.

For most patients, scoliosis requires only observation and repeated examination in the growing years. However, a small number of cases need medical intervention, such as bracing or surgery.

Bracing is often prescribed for children who are still growing and have a spinal curvature between 25 and 45 degrees. Surgery is generally recommended for curves greater than 45 degrees. Surgical treatment is specific to each patient's situation.

During the webcast, the pediatric orthopedic surgeons will use a series of rods, hooks and screws to straighten the spine, including the latest pedicle screws, which eliminate the need for postoperative bracing or casting and increase the overall rate of correction and healing.

"Pedicle screws provide very stable purchase to the vertebra," Dr. Schrader said. "In fact, they've been shown to improve correction of the spine by as much as 30 to 50 percent over previous systems."

If left untreated, scoliosis exceeding 50 degrees can lead to long-term issues, such as diminished lung capacity and the development of restrictive lung disease.

To watch the preview video or to tune in to the live webcast, go to www.akronchildrens.org/story/ and type "scoliosis" for the keyword.
    Last edited by Houston Curves; 02-18-2007, 03:34 PM.
    44 year old female
    Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
    Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
    Posterior Only, 9 hours
    Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
    Postsurgical: T 26, L 25
Working...
X