Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing for surgery in 4 months

Hi everybody,

Now that I know that I'll be having surgery in June for sure, I was wondering if there's anything I should be doing now to prepare my body for it. I've got 4 months to worry about the surgery and I know I'm going to be thinking about it in the back of my head every step of the way. I just want to make sure that my body is in good condition to take on that kind of trauma. So I was wondering if I should be doing exercises to strengthen my back muscles or if there are any kinds of exercise that are better to be doing? Also, should I be taking any more vitamins or anything? At the moment I take a multi vitamin and vitamin C everyday, so I was wondering if I should take anything else?

Any suggestions as to what I should do to prepare would be appreciated.Thanks!
    Nadia
    I'm 19
    Diagnosed with Scoliosis at age 16
    Curves as of June 2006: 48T & 40L
    Curves as of June 2007: 52T & 43L
    Surgery date: June 18, 2007
    "A smile is a curve that can straighten out anything"

Hi Nadia...

At your age, you're probably already in great shape. I'm guessing that most medical professionals would tell you that the best way to prepare yourself would be to eat a well balanced diet.

Building up your back muscles is probably a waste of time, as those muscles will all be injured if you're having posterior surgery. If you want to spend some time on building muscles, try building your thigh muscles. You'll be doing a lot of knee bends after surgery.

Good luck.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Nadia,

I have to agree with Linda 100%!!! Your legs are going to be the most important issue regarding you recovery. Especially if you have posterior surgery.

Take her advice, she's is very wise, and has lots of knowledge regarding this surgery!!!

Shari

Comment

Working...
      X