Dr. Betz out with injury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Betz out with injury

My daughter was scheduled with Dr. Betz on 2/28. We acutally leave on 2/21 for a pre-op appointment on 2/23. I got a call today to rescedule pre-op to the 27th (day before surgery!!) with Dr. Samdandi. When I asked why we couldn't see our surgeon - they told me it would be Samdani and Greywall. After crying for an hour I am now in search of info on Samdani. Anyone out there have any/advise.
    Thanks,
    Gayle
    Mom to Chelsea - 13yo with 60 degrees kyphosis due to Sheuremann's Disease. T8-T12 have fused together (on their own) anteriorly.
    Dr. Betz (Shriner's Philladelphia) states that she needs anterior release and posterior fusion

Gayle,

Hopefully Maria will send you a message regarding this. She probably knows the most about all of the doctors at Shriner's in Phila. Wow, you are traveling so far away from Georgia. That is amazing. Please let me know if I can help in any way. We only live 45 minutes from Phila.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

It is a long way - but we searched and searched for 2 years for a diagnosis. My Ped. recomended Shriner's. When I was in a panic, I found this site and read so many great things about Dr. Betz. There are other Shriner's closer to us but Phily seems to be the star of spinal surgeries. That is one reason I was so upset about the change - we could have gotten a good surgeon closer to home but I wanted the best!! Thank you for the offer - we are open for a tour guide to New York lol We will have a lot of time on our hands.

Gayle
      Mom to Chelsea - 13yo with 60 degrees kyphosis due to Sheuremann's Disease. T8-T12 have fused together (on their own) anteriorly.
      Dr. Betz (Shriner's Philladelphia) states that she needs anterior release and posterior fusion

Comment

Will this be your first time in Phila. and N.Y.? In Phila, we will have to go out for Pat's cheesesteaks. Maria knows a lot more about N.Y. and I am sure can give you a lot of tips. My daughter is about the same age as yours. How long did they say you would stay here?
        Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Hi Gayle,

I just answered your PM.

Just in case anyone else is in the same boat and reads this, Dr. Samdani is incredible. I actually ASKED to see him once (long story, but my son had another issue that Dr. Samdani had background in). I was very impressed. He is extremely knowledgeable (his credentials are impeccable) and he is an absolute doll - very caring - treats the kids like they are his own.

From what I had heard a while back, Dr. Betz had taken him under his wing - someone even called Dr. Samdani "Dr. Betz's protege".....another said that they would not be surprised if, down the line, when Dr. Betz retires, that it might very well be Dr. Samdani who fills his shoes.

In addition, there are four other docs besides Samdani who are available while Dr. Betz is recovering from shoulder surgery.

One is Dr. Clements. Someone at Shriners told me they sent their own husband to him (he treats both adults and kids) - speaks volumes.

Dr. D'Andrea, who performed my son's surgery, is another. Obviously, if I let her operate on my son, that too speaks volumes.

There are two others - don't have their names right now - but I think one is the asst. chief of staff under Dr. Betz (not 100% sure on this).

Bottom line, Gayle, you are still getting THE BEST care and I agree with what you said that - while all Shriners Hospitals offer great care, the one in Philadelphia is the shining star when it comes to spinal surgery - Dr. Betz would not have anyone on his staff that did not live up to this.

Are you staying/visiting NY? If so, please let me know and I'll be happy to show you around.

best of luck,
          mariaf305@yahoo.com
          Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
          Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Gayle, my daughter was scheduled with Dr. Betz for Fri. Feb 23rd, but NOT for surgery. It was for a 2nd opinion. I received a call on Friday from Shriner's & had to reschedule as well.

I live in New Jersey, a half hour from Phila, so you can feel free to contact me also, for anything while you're here. Where are you staying? I know it's very scary to have your surgeon switched on you like that but I'm sure you will be just fine w/ Dr. Sandami since he's Dr. Betz's protege.
            Martha
            Mother of Laura, Age 19
            Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
            Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
            Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
            Fused T2-L2
            Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
            Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
            Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
            OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

Comment

While we were in Phila. in August we did see a lot of the historical sites there. Chelsea wants to go to Hershey (of course). We will be staying at the Ronald McDonald house the 21st - 27th. We have to go to Shriner's on the 23rd and the 27th. Nothing like meeting your surgeon the day prior to surgery for the very first time Oh well, I guess he will get to know Chelsea very well on the 28th when they have 10-12 hours of quality time together .

I don't know where my husband will stay on the 28th - 3rd - (one item that has slipped my mind till now). I know I am staying right beside Chelsea's bed the entire time so he is on his own . He wil fly home on the 3rd and Chelsea is due to be discharged on the 5th around 7a and we fly to ATL around 9a.

How is the weather up there? I'm trying to find a coat among all the swimwear that is already out - It just doesn't get THAT cold here and stay cold. We may have a cold snap but nothing you can't shiver through while running in and out of car/store. Do you have any snow? Chelsea is very excited about the posibility of snow!! We are renting a car for my husbands time there - LOOK OUT the Georgians are coming and they can't drive in that mess!!! It's bad enough to park there. We have a suburban - I think I saw ONE large suv when we were there in August. We never parallel park here. We are trying to study the map a little this time - I can't tell you how many times we got lost

We have never been to New York. Chelsea and I really want to go but Daddy is freaking out about $$$ - I'm thinking charge it and pay it off later but he is not of that mind set. Of course, he is the one working so much and I stay home with the 4 kids.

Thank you all so much for your encouraging words and helping to calm my fears.

I am a religious person and I have decided that if I had know that Dr. Betz would not be able to operate back in Jan. I would have tried to change it. As it stands now the only available surgeon is Samdani. I feel like God had such a hand in getting us to Dr. Betz and Shriner's. Maybe I was putting too much faith in Betz and not God? The way this has all turned out I sincerely feel that Dr. Samdani is God's man and this was His will. Sometimes I like to control things and not put too much on the Man upstairs Okay - I'm stepping down from the pulpit.

Sorry so long - this is really therapeutic!!!

Comment

Gayle,

Everything will be okay. It's not like Dr. Betz is an amazing surgeon and the others are just mediocre. Maria's post about the surgeons makes a lot of sense. You will be in the right place. We will all be praying for you. Have you talked to Amanda in Texas at all? Her daughter had the stapling done. But she can give you some insight into hotels and all.

How old are your other 3 kids? Please ask Chelsea if she would like us to visit before or at some point after the surgery. How long will you be staying in Phila?

Yes, there is snow on the grass out here in the suburbs. Our yard is pure white. Not sure how much of it is left in the city. Probably not much that is still pure white.

Let me know if you would like my phone number so that you can feel that you "know" someone here in the Phila area. I would be happy to help.

Have a good trip. You really will be in good hands there.

Melissa
                Melissa

Comment

Hi Gayle,

You said you would be staying in the Ronald McDonald House. Will you be staying in Philly or Hershey? Either way, it's my turn to offer assistance. I only live about 20 minutes from Hershey and in fact, my daughter had her surgery done in Hershey! So, let me know if you'd like to get together or if you'd like my phone number. I have two daughters, Jamie is 15 and the one who had surgery, and Tracy will be 14 in April.

As for snow, well, let me just say my kids haven't been to school since Tuesday! We have about six inches of ice/snow on the ground. As for coats, we've only been wearing hooded sweatshirts, but of course we are use to the cold weather.

I'm not sure about Shriner's but at the hospital where Jamie had her surgery, they had a "family room" which had a bunch of couches that turned into beds for parents. Maybe that would be an option for your husband for a few days.

Good luck with everything. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Mary Lou
                  Last edited by Snoopy; 02-18-2007, 01:20 PM.
                  Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Gayle,

You stated:

"The way this has all turned out I sincerely feel that Dr. Samdani is God's man and this was His will."

As you know, I've met Dr. Samdani and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if what you said is true

I am so confident that you will really like him - so far it's been unanimous - everyone that has dealt with him thinks he's wonderful.

Best of luck and let me know if there is anything I can do.

p.s. Maybe someone can explain to me how to do the "quotation" thing - LOL!!
                    mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Gayle,

Just wanted to update you on the weather conditions near Hershey. For the most part, the roads are in good condition. There are still some roads (mainly side streets) that have patches of ice and some parking lots haven't even been plowed open yet. Be aware, especially at night, that there could still be some icy spots and you will be fine.

As for the temperatures, well, they are looking good for later this week. We might actually get to the low 40's! Yeah! For us that's great since the temps were only in the 20's at the beginning of the month!

Mary Lou
                      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hi Gayle,

Sorry I didn't post sooner, I have not been on NSF in a few weeks.

Not sure if you'll read this prior to Chelsea's surgery; but I hope you do. Like Maria said Dr. Samdani is wonderful and Dr. Grewal is like the best of the best in thoracic surgery and your daughter is GREAT hands. Dr. D'Andrea and Dr. Grewal perfomed my daughters surgery and we met Dr. Samdani during her hospital stay as well as at her 6 month post op along with Dr. Betz. They are all very careful about everything they do and they all only have your daughters best intrests at heart, I know this is easier said than done but try not to worry. Also during her surgery they will come out every few hours to give you updates on how everything is going and there is also a phone right there in the waiting room that you can use to call in if want to check in. Lorena's surgery lasted about 8 hours and we were kept abreast of everything that was going on with her. The actual OR is literally right next door to the waiting room so you won't be far away from your baby. The day of surgery they will help to keep her calm and relaxed. I know this is a little late but take an extra empty duffle bag with you because she will receive so many gifts from so many different people you'll need the extra bag to take everything home.

Everyone at Shriners is great and the after care Chelsea receives will all be wonderful. Everyone there will treat your daughter like she is the only patient they have. Please do not be afraid to ask for assistance and if she is in ANY pain whatsoever let them know. They will do everything to make her comfortable.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Amanda
                        Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
                        Diagnosed 8/2005 ~ 26 Degree Curve
                        Progressed to 42 Degrees by Dec 05
                        Milwakee Brace 1/16/06 - 6/26/06
                        Vertebral Stapling on 6/26/06 @ Shriners in Philadelphia
                        26 Degree Post Op Curve
                        Last X-Rays December 07 ~ 26 Degree Curve
                        Email: domingo_amandapompa@msn.com
                        YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GmX3K7FIs

Comment

How did Chelsea's surgery go?

Gayle, Please let us know how it went with Dr. Samdani at Shriners. Can't wait to hear!!! I pray that all is AOK!!!!
                          Martha
                          Mother of Laura, Age 19
                          Diagnosed with S curve at Age 13 (49*T/32*L)
                          Wore brace for one year (Wilmington Jacket)
                          Posterior spinal fusion on April 17, '08 with Dr. Flynn at CHOP (Age 16)
                          Fused T2-L2
                          Pre-op curves: 41*UT/66*T/34*L
                          Post-op curves: 14*UT/19*T/19*L
                          Note: At 1 yr. post-op appt, UNFUSED lumbar curve improved to 14*!!
                          OK to email me at: malka22@comcast.net

Comment

Hi Gayle,

I sent you a private message on Sunday asking the same thing. We are all hoping to hear some good news so please post when you can!
                            mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Gail,

I'll just add my agreement with what has been said about Dr. Samdani. He was part of the team, along with Dr. Gille, that operated on our son last July. The results literally could not have been better and he is very approachable and open.

I will also echo the statement that there isn't a better place to go than Shriner's in Philly and if a surgeon isn't top of the line, they don't get an offer to work there.

Best of luck. I know how stressful it is but our son is now tall and straight and active to the point where we have to reign him in until he can get his one year checkup in.

Steve

Dad to 15 year old son
                              Kyphosis surgery July 2006, Shriner's Philly
                              99 degree curvature corrected to 45 degrees (back to normal range for kyphotic curve)

Comment

Working...
                              X