length of hospital stay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• length of hospital stay

My 14 year old daughter is scheduled for anterior and posterior surgery February 28th with Dr Betz. It is thoracic and she will have a chest tube. They predict that she will be discharged on March 5th (early am) with a flight scheduled from Phily to Atlanta on the 5th. That means she will be discharged on post-op day 5 (barely). Does this seem "do-able" to those of you who have been through this? I know kids bouce back quickly - and they have recovery down to a science at Shriner's .... But????
    Thanks,
    Gayle
    Mom to Chelsea - 13yo with 60 degrees kyphosis due to Sheuremann's Disease. T8-T12 have fused together (on their own) anteriorly.
    Dr. Betz (Shriner's Philladelphia) states that she needs anterior release and posterior fusion

Hi Gayle,

First let me say Dr. Betz is an awesome surgeon! Your daughter is in good hands.

I don't know your daughter, but if she were my daughter, I think I would try to stay in a Ronald McDonald House or hotel for a day or two after discharge. My daughter had a long fusion (T3-L2) and her surgery was only posterior and she wasn't discharged until 6 days post-op. At about day 3 post-op, we were told she would be going home at day 5, but when day 5 came around it was obvious she wasn't going home.

I would suggest calling Shriner's and asking their opinion about your plans. Who knows, she may be ready for the flight home at day 5. Trust your instincts --you know your daughter better than anyone else. Good luck and dress warm! It's really cold and snow covered in PA!

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I'm 18 years old and had a posterior spinal fusion on January 5th. I was discharged from hospital on the fifth day. I was more than ready to return home. I'm feeling perfectly fine now, so I'm sure your daughter will recover fantastically. I wish her the best of luck with the surgery.

Comment

Actually, now I'm more concerned about her surgeon. Dr. Betz had surgery and will be out 6mo to a year. We just found out today (2/17) and we leave in 5 days. Anyone know about Dr. Samdani?
        Mom to Chelsea - 13yo with 60 degrees kyphosis due to Sheuremann's Disease. T8-T12 have fused together (on their own) anteriorly.
        Dr. Betz (Shriner's Philladelphia) states that she needs anterior release and posterior fusion

Comment

Working...
        X