Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston Curves (Ann), experience w/ Hanson

Hi Ann,
    I saw you are having surgery with Dr. Hanson soon. I'm taking my 14 yr old daughter to him this friday for a surgical consult. I just wanted to see what your opinion was of him and who else have you seen. I would have sent a PM but wasn't sure if you would notice it. Thanks for any info.

Dr. Hanson

Actually, I saw him on a consult. I have another appointment for a 3rd opinion with Dr. Rex Marco on 3/1, and then I have another appointment with Dr. Alexis Shelokov in Plano, Texas, on 3/13. If all agree, then I will likely schedule with Dr. S.

Dr. Hanson struck me as knowledgable, but lacked much in the was of empathy and/or sympathy. For instance, I explained that I am (and REALLY was then) in a lot of pain lately and, while he agreed that I do need the surgery, he never advised me what to do about the pain - exercise, aspirin, motrin, Rx, etc. He did offer to answer questions, but I was in a lot of pain and really did not get feed back from him. We didn't click. I really spent a lot more time with his PA.

Anyway, that is just a one time observation and you really have to judge for yourself on something. Please, don't take any preconceived ideas and give him a shot. After all, its a personality thing, which varies from person to person. Also, he did strike me as extremely smart and probably a very good surgeon.

Ann
    44 year old female
    Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
    Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
    Posterior Only, 9 hours
    Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
    Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

Hi Guys,

I also am in Houston, I see Dr. Charles Reitman. He's at the main campus of Kelsey Seybold and also part of the same group that Dr. Hanson is with. He has always been sympathatic to my pain and has sent me to theraphy, given pain meds, and even written prescriptions for massages.
      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
      Fused T2 to sacrum
      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

I will keep an open mind about it. But if my daughter were in pain and she wasn't taken seriously, I would be very upset. We've been seeing Dr. Marco for about 9 months now, I really like him a lot. He takes a lot of time to explain things and I just like his mannerism. I hope you have a good experience with him too. Dr. Marco said Hanson is a very good doctor, he also recommended Chris Meyer in Houston for another opinion, I haven't checked into him yet. I will check out Dr. Reitman also, thanks Theresa.

Just wondering, Ann. Have you figured out how your going to handle the post surgery period after your operation? Are you staying on in Dallas (Plano?) for a week or two after you're discharged and have you made any arrangements in Houston in case of an emergency, complications or post op care? Those would be the only things I would worry about going out of town.

Comment

Post Surgery

Yes, I would be staying in Plano after surgery. Dr. S always discharges out of town patients to rehab, unless they object. You stay in the hospital for 5-7 days, then you stay in rehab for another 5-7 days. I have asked my relatives from out of town, and two have offered to "take shifts" for a couple of weeks each after that. My in-laws also live about 2 hours from Dallas, and Ican go there if I can't handle the 4 1/2 hour trip to Houston.

Ann
          44 year old female
          Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
          Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
          Posterior Only, 9 hours
          Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
          Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

Working...
          X