Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member, lots of questions!

Hi

I'm new here, but I have been reading the posts since early January.

A little (alot) info about me...I was diagnosed with scoliosis when i was about 13 and wore a milwake brace for 4 years.I am now 42. When i was taken out of the brace, I was told there was no need for any more follow up as curves do not increase after you stop growing and they are less than 40 degrees. Nor does scoliosis cause any pain. In my early 20s I asked my Dr. to x-ray my back and was told no need, any back pain would not be from scoliosis and was most likely from taking care of two small children. When I hit 37, I could not stand the pain any longer and asked again to have my back x-rayed. At this time the curves were at 48 degrees, but felt to be balanced and I was still told scoliosis does not cause pain. I did go for pain management and tried many things for a couple of years before a Dr. finally said that they are finding scoliosis does cause considerable pain in some people. My back has been x-rayed yearly for the last 3 years and depending on who reads the x-rays, you get a different degree. In April 2006 I had to have cervical spine fusion from C4 - C6 and the surgeon noticed I did not sit straight and told me to have the scoliosis followed up as soon as I recovered from that surgery. In August 2006 I had a complete set of x-rays including bending and the curves were now at 54 degrees with a severe side shift. In the bending x-rays, the bottom curve completely straightened, but there was no change in the top curve. At the appt with that surgeon, he told my husband and I that he felt it was to late for surgery and I would most likely be in a wheelchair in 5 years. He also said he was going to a scoliosis conference that weekend and he would bring my charts and x-rays with him and see what information he could find.This is the same surgeion who did my cervical surgery, and is a wonderful surgon, but does not specialize in scoliosis. When I went back in Jan. 2007 he said good news, He found a surgeon covered by our insurance who said he could do the surgery and give me a good correction. He happened to be the surgeon who corrected my nieces curves a couple of years ago.

I saw Dr. Bains Jan. 14 and he gave us a lot of hope, I agreed to the surgery, but I told him I wanted to wait until May 2007.

Now for my first question, I thought he told me the rods would run from T4 - L4 but he would only be fusing the bottom three disks, that the rods would hold the rest of the spine in place. Has anyone ever heard of this?or did I not understand what he was saying? I will be seeing him again before the surgery, as I called and asked for another consoltation because I have so many questions.

Thanks,
    Patty
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Glad you're seeing him again...

I am very glad you made a follow up appointment. I may not be one to advise you as I am also still contemplating sugery, but I've done a lot of online research. What I've read indicates that you have to fuse from the top of the curve (first vertebra not involved in the curve) to the bottom (first lower vertebra not involved in the curve).

For those with actual first hand knowledge, please feel free to correct me if this isn't correct. Thanks.

HC
    44 year old female
    Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
    Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
    Posterior Only, 9 hours
    Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
    Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I can't answer your specific question, but I just wanted to welcome you.

Also, isn't it frustrating when doctors say scoliosis doesn't cause pain? My sister-in-law is in med school and I was reading one of her texts that talked about scoliosis and that text also said that scoliosis does not cause pain. Needless to say, I corrected her with LOTS of examples.

Good luck with your decision. I am making my decision about surgery in 2 weeks and will probably be having it in June 2007.

Best,
      Anya
      "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
      Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
      19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

First of all welcome. I hope you will find this to be a place of help and support. It has helped me in more ways than I can say.

Clearly, that doctor does not have scoliosis. Otherwise, he would know better than to say "scoliosis doesn't cause pain". No two people are alike, so to encompass the symptoms of all of us with scoliosis is ridiculous. I am glad he referred you to another surgeon. Does this new surgeon specialize in scoliosis? If not, I would seriously recommend that you continue to look for one who does. It's a big operation and you definitely want someone who performs this type of surgery frequently.

Best of luck to you.
        Brandi
        Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
        Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
        L1-S1
        Dr. William Lauerman
        Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
        Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
        http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Patty-I agree with Brandi. You should research the scoliosis surgeons in your area & further if need be. I would definitely recommend having a ppo ins plan too. Even if you have to change it to that. Do lots of research...
          where do you live?

Comment

Originally posted by abhbarry
            My sister-in-law is in med school and I was reading one of her texts that talked about scoliosis and that text also said that scoliosis does not cause pain.
            I can't believe what I am reading here! Scoliosis does not cause pain? And this is actually being taught to med students? It is only by the grace of God (I pray daily) that I am still able to work. Beyond that, I can do nothing...no more shopping, cooking, heavy housework, socializing after work, etc. By the time I come home from work, my back has had it. If I try to fix myself something to eat, I can barely stand and it feels like I'm carrying 20 extra pounds on my shoulders. I start to feel the compression of my ribs against my pelvis and have to lay down in bed where I spend the rest of my evening. This is my life.

I've just visited the website of Dr. Lawrence Lenke where there are before and after pictures of adult scoliosis patients. No one can tell me that these people were not in terrible pain prior to being treated.

Chris

Comment

I'm with you Chris. I can't believe they are teaching that in med school. I think we all need to call the local med schools in our own areas and be a guest speaker in the classrooms. No pain my #ss! I was able to function for a max of 3 hours per day before my surgery. It was totally due to my pain!

Comment

Yeah, I'm not kidding about the textbook. I hope that my experience will help her become a better doctor when it comes to having patients with scoliosis! It is just so ridiculous as the majority of us have surgery BECAUSE of pain. Unbelievable, huh?
                "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

To follow up what Anya said, the pain that many of us are hoping to alleviate by having surgery isn't just limited to our backs. Often times, nerves are compressed by progressive curvatures causing pain in the extremities as well. I know that's why I had surgery.
                  Brandi
                  L1-S1
                  Dr. William Lauerman
                  Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback

Comment

pain in extremities

Dr. Hanson said the pain and numbness in my arm didn;t have anything to do with my curves. But then again, he didn't really look at by cervical issues (which is where I think it originates). I guess when you see curves like ours, you might not look at smaller things. Anyway, despite his observation, I remain convinced that the the issues I have with my small cervical curve are causing the pain/tingling/numbness in my left arm extending down to my little and ring fingers. Anyone else experience this? Thanks.
                    44 year old female
                    Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
                    Posterior Only, 9 hours
                    Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation

Comment

I remain convinced that the the issues I have with my small cervical curve are causing the pain/tingling/numbness in my left arm extending down to my little and ring fingers. Anyone else experience this?
                      I have experienced that many times and was told it is nerve related. I used to get a very sharp pain in my arm which felt like someone was stabbing me while I was being electrocuted. Not fun. My Dr. prescribed a Medrol dose pack for me and it did work, but only for a short period of time.
                      Brandi
                      L1-S1
                      Dr. William Lauerman

Comment

I also have the numbness & tingling on left arm from elbow down to fingers. I also notice that the middle, ring and pinky fingers often feel colder than the other fingers.

Renee

Comment

Omg!

Me too!!!! My left hand usually feels colder to me than my right, though apparently not to the doctors. They said that was in my HEAD!
                          44 year old female
                          Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
                          Posterior Only, 9 hours

Comment

thanks

HI All,

Thanks for the replies, I am currently out of town and limited on computer access, so I will save the I return next week.
                            Patty 51 years old
                            Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
                            Posterior T3- L4
                            Pre surgery curves
                            T-53degrees
                            L-38degrees
                            and a severe side shift to the right.
                            Post surgery curves
                            Less than 10 degrees
                            Surgery April, 2006
                            C4 - C6

Comment

Hi Patty,

Welcome, from me too!!! Brandi hit the nail on the head for me!!!

Is your Dr. Bains in WV?

Shari

Comment

Working...
                              X