Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping

Hi
    Ijust got home - not feeling to well. How are you dealing with finding places to sleep?.

Susie

Hi Suzy

I am glad you're home, but sorry that you are feeling unwell. I found it difficult to slepp to begin with too, but believe me, it will get easier. A comfortable recliner was good for me.

Karen x
    Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
    Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
    Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
    Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
    No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
    Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Comment

Welcome home. It is so difficult to find a comfy position to sleep at first. Unfortunately, no one thing really worked for me. It helps to have a firm mattress like the ones they have in the hospital. If you have a recliner, it may help to try and use that for a few days. I am a side sleeper, so it sometimes helped for me to prop pillows behind me so that I was supported enough to lie on my side. It may not feel like it at first, but it really does get a little better with each passing day.
      Brandi
      Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
      Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
      L1-S1
      Dr. William Lauerman
      Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
      Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
      http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

welcome home susie....it is real difficult to sleep for a while. The aches plus the pain killers don't allow you to sleep to much! I found my bed was good & that's where I stayed for most of the time-- the first several weeks...
        sitting up killed me for quite a while..so I was best in bed...I even had my dinners there for many a evening..Ly
        it will get better...week by week...

Comment

The only place I could sleep was in bed. I could not use a recliner or the couch at all whether sitting or lying down. When out of bed, I sat in our office chair or high back wooden kitchen chair with a pillow behind me.

Comment

Susie,
            My surgery was 2 months ago- I find that my bed is the most comfortable. At night I take Ambien (a very small amount) and believe me that makes all the difference in the world. Remember it will get better-
            Cathie

Comment

Originally I thought I would need to rent a hospital bed for sleeping, but it turns out I was able to sleep in my own bed. I never slept well in the beginning b/c I was so afraid of moving the wrong way during the night. Also, because of the nerves, etc, my back was so hypersensitive, it was uncomfortable to move much and it bothered me when my husband moved. At times, I slept in a guest room instead. I remember sleeping on my back and right side b/c one of my scars was on my left side, rib area. Trust me, sleeping will get better!
              Heather
              Surgery date: April 20, 2004
              Anterior/posterior surgery
              Fused T-11 to L-5
              Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
              Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
              Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
              Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Hi Susie,

Welcome home!!! I wasn't a good sleeper before or after my surgery. But after my surgery, when I found a comfortable spot, no matter where it was, I tried to sleep. I did more napping.

Sleep as much as you can whenever you can. I found that through the different stages of my recovery, whether it was sitting or lying down, places that I felt comfortable in, changed.

Shari

Comment

Working...
                X