Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My back feels like its on fire

Hi All,
    I'm about 5 weeks out of surgery and my upper back and left breast feel as if they are on fire. Similar to a horrible sunburn. These are the areas that were most numb coming out of surgery. Does this burning sensation mean that the feeling in those areas is starting to come back? Ouch!!
    28 years old
    Wore brace for 3 years as a teen
    Successful surgery with Dr. Lenke on January 12, 2007

Hi

I will be 4 weeks post op on Thursday and am experiencing the same sort of pain, mostly around the right hand side of my stomach. I have been and still am very numb in this area. It is a hard feeling to describe, but I think it's normal.

Karen x

EDIT - I meant right hand side lol
    Last edited by kazyn; 02-13-2007, 03:39 PM.
    Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
    Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
    Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
    Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
    No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
    Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Comment

Hi,
      I am six weeks post op tomorrow. Don't worry, that feeling goes away.... Mine was mostly on my lower back and right side of my back (where they took ribs) and also under my right breast (again, because of the rib removal). It did feel like sunburn... I think your skin just gets its sensations back slowly. But, the burning did go away..
      Lesly

Comment

Metal Allergy??

I just read that, if you are allergic to Nickel (like they use in costume jewelry), you will be allergic to the stainless steel implants and should use titanium. Are you sensitive to costume jeslery? Just a thought...

HS
        44 year old female
        Surgery on Nov. 1, 2010
        Dr. Darrell Hanson, Methodist Hospital
        Posterior Only, 9 hours
        Presurgical: T 61 Degrees, L 58 degrees, with 15 degrees of thoracolumbar rotation
        Postsurgical: T 26, L 25

Comment

I had this burning sensation postop in various places. It would come and go from one spot to another. It is a healing pain; changing according to what is healing and what you are moving. The areas of scar tissue have this burning feeling when you start moving that area again; especially after getting out of the brace.

Tell your surgeon if it continues; if your x rays are ok, he will probably tell you it's normal.

Deb
          posterior surgery 7/24/06

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Glad to know I'm not alone in feeling this. Today isn't quite as painful thankfully.

Houston Curves - Interesting take on the sensation. Thankfully though I went to an allergist prior to surgery just to make sure what I was and wasn;t allergic to and nickel I'm A-Ok with.

Deb - Have my first post-op appt with surgeon in a couple of weeks. I'm curious what the x-rays will show. I'm so paranoid!
            28 years old
            Wore brace for 3 years as a teen
            Successful surgery with Dr. Lenke on January 12, 2007

Comment

Working...
            X