First time posting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time posting

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on this forum though I read the posts everyday. Firstly, let me state that I am sorry to hear about what happened to Trudy and my condolences go out to her family. I had surgery for scoliosis when I was 13 ( and living in the West Indies) I just turned 28 and recently learned that I have also develeped a 90 degree kyphosis due to the rod (only one was inserted for my first surgery???) being improperly placed. I could go on and on about my experiences, but what I am facing now is the prospect of having to undergo surgery again and I am scared. I am especially scared of having the anterior procedure done. I have not set a date for surgery as of yet. The past couple of months have been very depressing for me and I don't know what to do or think to take myself out of it. I am glad that this group exists, for reading posts everyday about different experiences helps me alot to cope with my situation. I know may of you have done the anterior surgery, can anyone enlighten me a bit on what to expect ?

hey littlemiss

i havent had the anterior but had the posterior 6 months ago. i know this is no use to you but just wanted to welcome you onboard-im a newish member aswell.

You lucky thing....i wish i was in the West Indies

Sai

Comment

Hi

I have just had an anterior surgery done, and whilst it's not exactly a walk in the park, it is probably not as bad as the posterior alternative.

I had to have two ribs removed and a chest drain, which I think are the worst bits. Once the chest drain is removed it gets a lot easier.

To begin with I had a lot of pain from my ribs, but this has drastically reduced four weeks on.

I am sure that you will be fine. I have been told before that you will look back three months on and not really remember the pain.

Just remember to focus on the long term out come and you will be fine.

Good luck and best wishes. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Karen x
      Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
      Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
      Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
      Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
      No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
      Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Comment

Thank you for your feedback Kazyn and Sai. I am now living in New York and I am going to see my doctor in March. I guess at that visit he will go over the details of what will be done to me. Until then I will try not to drive myself crazy by worrying about surgery. Again, thank you for responding to me so quickly.

Comment

Hi Littlemiss,

Welcome!!! This forum is a great place for finding comfort in times of despair. And as you have seen there are many of us feeling that right now.

But it's much more than that. You will find a lot of knowledge and support here as well.

I think most of here were/are scared. I know I was!!! I, of course, don't know what your ant. surgery entails, but I remember hoping the doctor was going to tell me that I would only need the anterior. I was under the impression that it would be less invasive.

It's hard not to drive yourself crazy with all the thoughts that go through your head. Just know that you're not alone!!!

Shari

Comment

Working...
          X