PDA

View Full Version : A sad post about Gayle

Linda G
02-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Most of you have known Gayle thru this web site. Her name is really Trudy. She had her surgery on Thurs and things went terribly wrong. She was losing a lot of blood and the anethesiologist(sp) made a mistake. The blood was being pumped into her lungs. By the time it was discovered and fixed her heart had suffered too much damage and caused her to have a stroke. She was pronounced brain dead and the family removed life support last night. I had kept in touch with her quite a lot since my surgery and tried to encourage her. Her husband called this morning to let me know what had happened. They will be doing an autopsy tomorrow. I have asked him to let me know when arrangements have been made. For anyone interested in sending a sympathy card please email me at LGGROVES@AOL.COM. Give me a couple of days to get this info. I don't want to publicly post their address. She was a young woman in her thirties. She has left behind 3 children ages 6,7 and 9. Please pray for her family.
Linda G.

Robbie
02-11-2007, 11:52 AM
My goodness... I'm so terribly sorry to hear that. I don't really know what to say. I was just thinking about her today, and wondering how her surgery went when I remembered I had read her post, "this is it...", a couple of days ago. That post was the only way I 'knew' her, but she seemed a very nice person. I'm not religious, but I certainly will keep her in my thoughts. My best wishes go out to her family in what must be a truly difficult time for them.

JoAnn5
02-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Oh my goodness!! What a terribly sad thing! I feel that i have lost a friend, even though i only knew her from this forum. Her poor family.... They will all certainly be in my prayers.

amae28
02-11-2007, 12:56 PM
I don't know what to say either... that must be terrible for her children and family. I will pray for her and her family. That is truely an unexpected outcome... I've never heard of anything like that happening.

Thank you linda for letting us know... I do not know her well but many people on here do and I'm sure would like to send prayers out also.

bsprings
02-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Linda,
I can't believe what I just read. I'm overwhelmed with grief for her family. I have never heard of such a catastrophe with this surgery. I will be praying for all her loved ones-
Cathie

Celia
02-11-2007, 01:20 PM
I just re-read her last post the day before her surgery and it feels surreal knowing she's no longer alive. Her poor family and especially the kids knowing their mom isn't coming back. What a awful tragedy! My sympathies go out to the family and I'm sure the grief stricken doctor.

Heathmoose
02-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Oh my goodness! That is just so sad! I feel for her whole family. I hope they are able to find out exactly how something like this happened...

lelc2002@yahoo
02-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Linda-I am totally in shock. I just read your post..I can't believe it. I am so sad..Ly

LindaRacine
02-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Hi Linda...

Thanks very much for letting me know. How sad.

I've never heard of such a preventable complication in scoliosis surgery. It makes me so sad to know that it could so easily have been prevented.

Regards,
Linda

Snoopy
02-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Oh Linda,

I don't know what to say. I will keep her family in my thoughts and prayers.

When you feel the time is right, please print our responses or invite Trudy's family to read our posts. Hopefully they will find some comfort in knowing that she wasn't alone in her journey with Scoliosis and that we were all here for her.

Mary Lou

Karen Ocker
02-11-2007, 02:29 PM
I've been an anesthetist for 34 years, a large portion in a trauma center, and never heard of such a thing.

green m&m
02-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Oh my gosh! I'm at loss for words, my thoughts go out to her familiy.

I'm not quite sure how it's even possible to pump blood into one's lungs

sai
02-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Linda

Please pass my deepest sympathies to her family. Im am really shocked and upset to read what i just have.

I hope anybody that has not yet had the surgery is not too affected by this as it is not a common thing to happen...that i know of.

Sadly...sai :confused:

judyk
02-11-2007, 03:59 PM
I can't believe she is gone. I know how worried she was throughout the time she was waiting to have surgery, and I wish I could have done more for her. I could tell in her postings that she fretted a lot about the surgery. This is soooooooo sad. I feel for her husband, children and her other family members. No one can prepare for this. This just seems unreal.

SandyC
02-11-2007, 04:59 PM
How horrific that Gayle should have died from something that was caused by incompitance (sp). It is very sad for her husband and children

Sherie
02-11-2007, 05:57 PM
What a terrible tragedy, she sounded so hopeful. Her poor husband and children, they were expecting this to improve their quality of life together, how sad. My daughter needs surgery and we are in the process of interviewing surgeons, this really scares me. Does anyone know who her surgeon was (we live in Texas too)?

bsprings
02-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Sherie,
I just read through her old posts and I think it was Dr. Shelokov. I think we are all just in shock over this horrible tragedy-all we can do now is pray for her family.
Cathie

Sherie
02-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Thanks for replying Cathie. I had actually considered Dr. Shelekov but decided against it. It's really a shock when someone was alive and well just a few days ago and is now gone. I guess it's best to keep this in perspective, that this is a very rare occurence.

sam_newyork
02-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Dear Linda-

I am stunned and deeply saddened to hear about Gayle. I will be praying for her family.

Sam

abhbarry
02-11-2007, 08:01 PM
I am so saddened by this news, and in shock like everyone else. When the time is appropriate, I too, hope that her family can read these posts. Prayers to her family.

Lesly
02-11-2007, 08:58 PM
I am in shock and don't know what to say. I can't believe just a few days ago I was telling Trudy to keep her head up and that she'd be fine. I'm devastated... I feel like I've made friends on this forum and we don't even know each other... It's because the support and encouragement is just amazing... I will be praying for her family. I can't imagine what they are going through. Linda, please let us know if you hear anything else.

Lesly

Theresa
02-11-2007, 09:25 PM
I hope Trudy's family will be able to read these messages one day and see how close we all are on this forum. We are all linked together because of scoliosis. We give each other encouragement, hope, support (like only we can give) to each other, and prayers all the time. I know Trudy is in "Heaven" and will be watching out for the rest of us. I feel like Trudy will be there for all of us when it is our turn to go for surgery. She will be our "GUARDIAN ANGEL"! I hope and prayer that her kids will not have scoliosis as they get older. I will be sending lots of prayers their way and also to Trudy's husband for strength to continue on without her. Rest in Peace Trudy and I know that you are scoliosis free now!

spincon58
02-11-2007, 09:41 PM
To Trudy's Family
My hearthfelt condolences. At such a sad time in your life may these post bring some warmth to her memory. Since I read about what happened I haven't stopped thinking about her and how fragil life can be. How we trust and put our lives in the medical profession hands. This was god's will and I pray that her children and her family in time will find peace.

VincySweety
02-11-2007, 09:41 PM
I am in complete and utter shock. I really can't believe this has happened and I'm deeply saddened by this news. This is the most unexpected outcome and I just can't comprehend that it even happened. I'm so sorry to hear this and I want to express my sincere sympathies to Trudy's family because I can only imagine what they are going through. I'm praying for Trudy's husband and children to be strong and make it through this.

macky
02-11-2007, 10:02 PM
"May god bless you and keep you, may his light shine upon you and give you peace."

I am so terribly shocked about what has happened. Her family and friends must be in shock and so completely devastated. My sympathy to all who knew her and to all on here like myself, who followed her progress.

"Sleep peacefully my sweet lady, until we meet again".

Macky.

Shari
02-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Linda G.,

Thank you for letting us all know!!! I read you post 3 times, I guess in disbelief. :( Tears are streaming and the hair on my arms are raised.

I am totally speechless!!! It is amazing that even though we only know each other through this forum, how much it hurts. I can only imagine what you, her friends and family are going through right now.

I just don't know what to say. I will pray for the strenght for you all to get through this terrible ordeal!!!

Shari

RoundTheTwist
02-12-2007, 04:29 AM
I am so shocked and saddened by this news.

I did not know Trudy, I had only read her posts, but as with all the 'Scoli' people that are brought together by this forum, she was still a friend.

My heart goes out to her Husband and Children especially, having children of my own the same age as hers, I know how scared she would have been of something 'going wrong', I will be thinking of Trudy and her family today.

Kat

bonjour
02-12-2007, 06:54 AM
Thank you for giving the terrible news,just been throw this op with children at home .tears and tears .no sleep....lots of prayers for the familly.
How can this have happened today ?
i feel for our scoliosis familly,for Tudy,for Trudies family and for all off us who don't have the choice and are going for the surgery.
love to you all

Spencer's Dad
02-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Trudy never posted on my threads and I never posted on hers, but I read everyone she wrote, and she may have read some of mine. So even though we never "met", I feel as if a piece of my heart is missing. An already overcast day seems a little darker all of a sudden. Truly, we have lost one of our own.

My thoughts and prayers go to her family. Please let us know if we can help them in any way!!

flowerpower
02-12-2007, 09:32 AM
This is truly unexpected and devastating news. It's true, we do not really know each other that well, yet we are all connected and this forum does feel like "family". My heart and prayers go out to her family....her poor husband and children :( I am so sad for her :( Rest in Peace Trudy...

Renee

Cakedec
02-12-2007, 10:43 AM
I am also so sorry to hear the sad news about Trudy as I had also been following her posts and journey to surgery. With so many of us here having had this surgery in our 40's, 50's, and 60's, it is just unimaginable that this was the outcome in a young mother in her 30's.

This is only the second death I have read about on this forum; the first earlier this year in a 14 year old girl with multiple health concerns after surgery succombed to pneumonia because of a weak, damaged heart. Going back to Gayle's old posts, I noticed that she had a heart condition repaired at age 21, so she had already survived one major surgery in her lifetime.

God, please bless these children and husband and keep them in the palm of your hand through this time of grief and give them your peace and assurance of your love.

Deb
age 48
posterior surgery 7/24/06
for s curve T72,L77
50% correction

rachael
02-12-2007, 11:35 AM
I am terribly saddened by this tragedy. I ask God to give Trudy's family strength to get through this dark time. Let her children know that she is now with them all the time, what she seemed to want most.
Please keep us posted on what the autopsy reveals. Thank you for sharing this with me.

JamieAnn
02-12-2007, 12:14 PM
I am also saddened by this news. This was the last thing any of us expected to read when opening this site today.

I hope Gayle's family reads this, to see how amazing this extended "family" of hers really was. I think this forum is really wonderful, especially after reading all of the responses to this post. We're all very lucky to have such amazing support. I wish we could do more for Gayle's family.

:(

Carmell
02-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Our sincerest heartfelt sympathies to Trudy's family. Words can't express how sad we feel. Shock is an appropriate emotion right now. I can't even imagine.

MATJESNIC
02-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Linda G.

Please tell us where we can send flowers or donations in her name.

Leslie7
02-12-2007, 01:33 PM
I am very saddened to hear this terrible news. My thoughts and prayers are with Trudy's family. May they have peace in knowing that she loved them very much.

Leslie

mariaf
02-12-2007, 02:00 PM
I can only reiterate the emotions that have been stated by everyone else - utter shock and a deep, deep sadness - for her husband and especially for her children. For them to lose their mother like this is unbelievably sad. I think I was so shocked by what I read that I could not even find the words to post until now.

My deepest sympathies and prayers are with the family.

CHRIS WBS
02-12-2007, 03:30 PM
My heart is broken for this grief-stricken family. I have been shedding tears on and off all day.

God has a precious angel in Heaven by the name of Trudy.

Chris

LEELEE85
02-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Deepest sympathy to Trudy's husband, kids and family. I came on here today to find out if theres any updates on Gayle and when i read Lindas' post i was really sad for someone i hardly knew, but in a way it felt like i did.

Rest in Peace Trudy....

Luv Lee

misspaula
02-12-2007, 07:06 PM
I have just joined this forum but have been reading the posts for a while. I am from Sydney Australia and I am in tears writing for the very first time.

I am so sorry to hear the devastating news about Trudy. My heart goes out to her husband and children.

HGD24
02-12-2007, 08:09 PM
I am just heartbroken to hear this news about Trudy (Gayle). Please let her family know that she and they are all in my thoughts.

Singer
02-12-2007, 09:07 PM
This is just heartbreaking. I am so sorry for Trudy's husband and children. I pray that they find strength and comfort in each other.

Chris

mish
02-12-2007, 10:08 PM
I am very sad to hear, my heart goes out to Trudy's family.

dawney
02-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Such sad news. It is heartbreaking for her family especially her children. I know before my surgery my biggest fear was for my child. I wish her family my condolences.

JanM
02-12-2007, 10:44 PM
I'm so very sorry to hear this sad news. Our hearts go out to her family.

malka22
02-12-2007, 11:19 PM
I am so very very sorry to hear of Trudy's passing. Please let her family know that we are all praying for strength for her children, husband, & all family members to get through this most difficult time. May the fond memories of all the wonderful times they shared bring them comfort & help ease their sorrow.

kazyn
02-13-2007, 08:19 AM
I am shocked and so sorry to hear of Trudy passing. I want to let her family know that I am thinking of them and praying for them.

Karen x

dorigirl
02-13-2007, 09:23 AM
I of course only knew Trudy through this forum, but I feel as though I have lost a friend. This family we have created is unique to so many of us and knowing that we lost someone is devastating.

I hope her family can someday find peace and know that all of us loved our "scoliosis friend", we admired her strength and we will miss her.

Trudy will never be forgotton....

bbest
02-13-2007, 10:59 AM
This is awful. Tears are streaming down my face as I type this. I am stunned. Stunned. My heart goes out to her family and to her precious children.

I haven't read all of the posts in this thread yet. I sure as hell hope that doctor is held accountable for his actions. We all know going in that it's a big deal, not without risks. But this sounds like it was so preventable. I am speechless.

Jen-jen
02-13-2007, 11:28 AM
She has been like a friend to us all; its such a terrible thing to have happened. Heaven has gained another Angel. Her and her family will be in my prayers tonight. x x

littlemiss
02-13-2007, 11:46 AM
I am shocked to hear about Trudy. My condolences go out to her family and close friends.

n2starz
02-13-2007, 02:07 PM
I have been reading Trudy's posts for quite some time as we were having surgery just within a month of one another. The news of her passing saddens me and my heart goes out to her husband, children, and other family members.

katblack
02-13-2007, 09:14 PM
I just heard about this tonight. I am so sorry and saddened to hear this. My thoughts are with her husband and children. :(

Houston Curves
02-14-2007, 08:14 AM
I have been following these posts. I read Trudy's posts just before her surgery, and they touched me deeply as I too am facing this for a first time. I was astonished by her passing, and very saddened and depressed. I haven't slept well for the past two days thinking about her and her family. Please, pass on my sympathies, and I will continue to pray that God gives them the strength and courage they need to make it throught this horrible time.

HC (Ann) :(

Pips
02-14-2007, 09:17 AM
Like everyone else I followed Trudy's posts. Her surgery was exactly 1 year after mine and so I felt some kind of a connection to her, just as we all did in our own way.

I was so sad to hear news of this tragedy which possibly could have been prevented. Many people will mourn the loss of such a young wife and mother and I want to join with everyone else in sending my warmest thoughts and deepest sympathy to her family and friends.

makaylasmom
02-14-2007, 11:42 AM
My thoughts and prayers go out to her family... I am in complete shock... how terrible! I would like to make a donation in her name... Linda- how do I do that?

All my prayers,
Angela

zuma
02-15-2007, 08:13 AM
I'm absolutely stunned, i still can not believe what has happened to Trudy, as many others have i sit at my computer with tears literally running down my face reading these posts.

Love and peace to Trudy's family, i only hope that some comfort can be found in the love that Trudy gave to others on this site.

Jacque's Mom
02-15-2007, 11:27 AM
OMG how awful! I just got back from being away for a week and I'm in shock. Her last post was the day before I left and I remember it "this is it" she was going to stay with her mom the night before. My prayers go out to everyone. I'm in disbelief. If anyone knows where I can make a donation in memory of her, please post it. God bless you all. LYNN

Marcia
02-24-2007, 01:36 PM
I haven't been checking in here much as I am not confortable for long on the computer.

What a huge shock to learn of Trudy's death. She called me before my surgery to wish me well as we were both going to Dr. Shelokov. Then she called me after I got home. I know she was very concerned about having the surgery and I tried to re-assure her but be honest at the same time about how difficult it is to go through. However.....never, ever, would I dream that anything but success would be the result.

Please pass on to her family that they are in my prayers. I haven't been able to get Trudy and her family off my mind since I read about her death and the fact that it was so tragic because of a huge mistake by the anesthesiast. I know that Dr. Shelokov and staff are just devastated, but it should never have happened.

Love and prayers and more prayers to all who loved Trudy. May you be surrounded by people who will help you through this time of such loss.
Marcia