A sad post about Gayle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A sad post about Gayle

Most of you have known Gayle thru this web site. Her name is really Trudy. She had her surgery on Thurs and things went terribly wrong. She was losing a lot of blood and the anethesiologist(sp) made a mistake. The blood was being pumped into her lungs. By the time it was discovered and fixed her heart had suffered too much damage and caused her to have a stroke. She was pronounced brain dead and the family removed life support last night. I had kept in touch with her quite a lot since my surgery and tried to encourage her. Her husband called this morning to let me know what had happened. They will be doing an autopsy tomorrow. I have asked him to let me know when arrangements have been made. For anyone interested in sending a sympathy card please email me at LGGROVES@AOL.COM. Give me a couple of days to get this info. I don't want to publicly post their address. She was a young woman in her thirties. She has left behind 3 children ages 6,7 and 9. Please pray for her family.
    Linda G.

My goodness... I'm so terribly sorry to hear that. I don't really know what to say. I was just thinking about her today, and wondering how her surgery went when I remembered I had read her post, "this is it...", a couple of days ago. That post was the only way I 'knew' her, but she seemed a very nice person. I'm not religious, but I certainly will keep her in my thoughts. My best wishes go out to her family in what must be a truly difficult time for them.

Comment

Oh my goodness!! What a terribly sad thing! I feel that i have lost a friend, even though i only knew her from this forum. Her poor family.... They will all certainly be in my prayers.

Comment

I don't know what to say either... that must be terrible for her children and family. I will pray for her and her family. That is truely an unexpected outcome... I've never heard of anything like that happening.

Thank you linda for letting us know... I do not know her well but many people on here do and I'm sure would like to send prayers out also.
        aBbiE
        22 yr old F,KU college student
        Kyphoscoliosis...
        Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
        Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
        I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
        Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
        all smiles!

Comment

Linda,
          I can't believe what I just read. I'm overwhelmed with grief for her family. I have never heard of such a catastrophe with this surgery. I will be praying for all her loved ones-
          Cathie

Comment

I just re-read her last post the day before her surgery and it feels surreal knowing she's no longer alive. Her poor family and especially the kids knowing their mom isn't coming back. What a awful tragedy! My sympathies go out to the family and I'm sure the grief stricken doctor.

Canadian eh
            Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Oh my goodness! That is just so sad! I feel for her whole family. I hope they are able to find out exactly how something like this happened...
              Heather
              Surgery date: April 20, 2004
              Anterior/posterior surgery
              Fused T-11 to L-5
              Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
              Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
              Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
              Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Linda-I am totally in shock. I just read your post..I can't believe it. I am so sad..Ly

Comment

Hi Linda...

Thanks very much for letting me know. How sad.

I've never heard of such a preventable complication in scoliosis surgery. It makes me so sad to know that it could so easily have been prevented.

Regards,
                  Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Oh Linda,

I don't know what to say. I will keep her family in my thoughts and prayers.

When you feel the time is right, please print our responses or invite Trudy's family to read our posts. Hopefully they will find some comfort in knowing that she wasn't alone in her journey with Scoliosis and that we were all here for her.

Mary Lou
                    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I've been an anesthetist for 34 years, a large portion in a trauma center, and never heard of such a thing.
                      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Oh my gosh! I'm at loss for words, my thoughts go out to her familiy.

I'm not quite sure how it's even possible to pump blood into one's lungs
                        30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                        2005 - T50, L31
                        bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                        2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                        Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Linda

Please pass my deepest sympathies to her family. Im am really shocked and upset to read what i just have.

I hope anybody that has not yet had the surgery is not too affected by this as it is not a common thing to happen...that i know of.

Sadly...sai

Comment

I can't believe she is gone. I know how worried she was throughout the time she was waiting to have surgery, and I wish I could have done more for her. I could tell in her postings that she fretted a lot about the surgery. This is soooooooo sad. I feel for her husband, children and her other family members. No one can prepare for this. This just seems unreal.

Comment

How horrific that Gayle should have died from something that was caused by incompitance (sp). It is very sad for her husband and children
                              SandyC

Comment

Working...
                              X