Types of braces after surgery??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Types of braces after surgery??

After much searching, I have finally decided to go ahead with surgery this spring. (Scared to death!) I will have T-4 to L-3 fused, more than I would have liked; but it is what it is!! Anyway, I am wondering about the different types of braces that are out there for post-op recovery. My doctor does not recommend or generally use them, but is willing to provided me with one. It might be crazy asking for one, but I have three young active kids, so I thought it would be a good visual for them (don't jump on mommy etc..) if I had one. I have had two doctors talk about two different kinds - one being hard shell (like boston brace) and the other one has some hard parts the velcro. I am interested in hearing from anyone - looking for input as to the different types (pros/cons) etc..

Thanks -
    57 degree throasic curve

Hi Kari
    I will have to wear a brace for 3 months afer surgery, according to my surgeon (planned T4 - L5). I did'nt like the idea, and told my surgeon so. He said 'imagine you broke your foot - you'd where a cast for protection'. He said it's to reassure him, not me! To stop me doing stuff I shouldn't. I now thinks it's a good idea. Agree with you Re: kids as visual warning...another good reason.
    My op is next Wednesday. I don't know yet which type of brace I will get, but hope to be back on the forum to give you an update!
    48 yr old female. 80° thoracolumber curve. Surgery Feb 14 2007. Fused T3 - L5. Correction to 23°. Happy!

Comment

I had the turtle shell type. The back and front are hard plastic pieces that are measured to fit your body. It fits under your arms (like a strapless dress). The front has the soft velcro strips glued on it while the back has the hard velcro straps that wrap around and attach to the front piece. I didn't need to wear mine all of the time, just when I left the house. It was mostly there to remind me to be careful and for protection should someone bump into me.

Comment

Hi Kari,

I wore the turtle shell brace also. It was explained to me that it was to keep from from bending and twisting. I was told I could take it off at night to sleep and I did for the first 2 nights at home, but I got no sleep because I was afraid of moving the wrong way and undoing what I had just gone through. I then wore it to sleep in.
        Being scared to death was how I felt, so don't feel like you're alone!!! I am still convinced that this surgery is both a physical and mental strain on us.

For me, the anticipation of it was very mental and the surgery was very physical. I just want you to know that whatever feelings you are having, before or after your surgery, that there are many people out here that have gone through it and are more than willing to help you in any way they can to get through it.

You have children, but I had the same fear of my dogs jumping on me or knocking me down.

Even though we're all different, it seems we're still the same!!! We're here for you!

Shari

Comment

hi

My brace was solid on thback and corset type velcro straps at the front with padded arms. It sounds very uncomfortable but it isnt at all-you get used to it very quickly indeed. It isnt very heavy either-i think 1 lb.

Might be worth finding out exactly which one you will be getting-i did need help to put mine on and take it off initially.

hope this helps...if not just ignore

sai

Comment

Originally posted by mouna
            Hi Kari
            I will have to wear a brace for 3 months afer surgery, according to my surgeon (planned T4 - L5). I did'nt like the idea, and told my surgeon so. He said 'imagine you broke your foot - you'd where a cast for protection'. He said it's to reassure him, not me! To stop me doing stuff I shouldn't. I now thinks it's a good idea. Agree with you Re: kids as visual warning...another good reason.
            My op is next Wednesday. I don't know yet which type of brace I will get, but hope to be back on the forum to give you an update!
            Thanks! Best of luck, I will say a prayer for you. Also, would love to hear from you when you are strong enough to return to the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by HGD24
              I had the turtle shell type. The back and front are hard plastic pieces that are measured to fit your body. It fits under your arms (like a strapless dress). The front has the soft velcro strips glued on it while the back has the hard velcro straps that wrap around and attach to the front piece. I didn't need to wear mine all of the time, just when I left the house. It was mostly there to remind me to be careful and for protection should someone bump into me.
              Question??? Do you wear the brace under or over your clothes?

Kari

Comment

Hi Kari,

I wore mine over a thin T-shirt.

Shari

Comment

Working...
                X