Surgical plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgical plans

Okay, I was doing pretty well with all this lately -- then I got Dr. Boachie's surgical plans in the mail today (GULP). What exactly is a cement cage (listed as a prosthetic device)? And: what is the difference between a rib allograft and a structual allograft? I know he's grafting bone from my ribs but does "structural" mean he's taking it from somewhere else too?

I know I could ask him but I have a feeling I'll get an answer from you guys faster....

Deep breaths.....deep breaths.......

Thanks
    Chris
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Hi Chris,
    He took one rib and also took bone from my hips-maybe that is what it means. I think alot of it he does not know til he gets in there. He put T2- Sacrum on mine and then did T4- Sacrum. He also put thoracoplasty on my write up and did not do that. I think they just cover themselves-
    Cathie

Comment

Don't go there!!

All that stuff is the pre-authorization for insurance. I have: pedicle screws, Isola rods, laminar wires, a pelvic screw, and a cage. I am as happy as a clam with all that stuff because I got my life back. I had bone from my hump reduction (autograft) and bone from a bone bank(allograft) used in the fusion.

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT; HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING.
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Chris,

Right before my revision surgery in 2005 I got the papers addressed to me from the doctor explaining everything that was going to be done in the surgery. I just about came unglued!!!!! Now, remember this is the second surgery, only a year out from my original surgery where we had just done all of that and then some. The difference this time was that my name was up there in bold print making it more personal! I think the first surgery it was all so quick and a big surprise to us that it didn't really get real until it started. Within a few days I was fine and was able to talk about what was going to be done like a pro! Take a deep breathe........hold it.............hold it...........and breathe again! You'll do fine!
        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
        Fused T2 to sacrum
        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Thanks guys -- okay -- it's once again time for me to go live life and stay off the Forum for a while.

See you all in a few weeks......!
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
          X