Question re: Surgery After Pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re: Surgery After Pregnancy

I’m depressed and wanted to vent. I finally made the difficult decision to have surgery, and it was scheduled for May 18th at the Crystal Clinic. I’m 35 and have curves of 65 thoracic and 58 lumbar. I was happy to finally be getting it taken care of, and I have terrific insurance and short- and long-term disability. I was stunned to take a pregnancy test in early April and it was positive. I guess I’m the 1/10 of 1% (1 in 1000) whom the pill has failed when taken correctly. I was told surgery could not be done until 2 years after having the baby or nursing. I want to nurse and did so for 2 years with my first child, so that means it could be nearly 5 years until I can have surgery (1 yr pregnant, 2 yrs nursing & 2 yrs after that)! My curves progressed 8 degrees each per year in the past 2 years! I’m worried they’ll be over 80 degrees by the time I’m done nursing & 100 by the time I can have surgery! My other children are 7 and 9 and I didn’t plan on more, but of course, what’s done is done and we are happy. If I got pregnant despite being on the pill, we feel it must have been meant to be. Does anyone know if this “2 years after pregnancy or breast-feeding” is a standard rule, or can surgery be done sooner? I’m depressed because I have hyperemesis gravidarum, and had it the entire 9-1/2 months both prior pregnancies. I already had to go to the hospital for IV treatment since I cannot drink any liquids. I love babies but can’t stand being pregnant

P.S. I'm going to have to quit my job because I can't work with the miserable hyperemesis. So bye-bye good insurance & disability. I'll be working at home in the future (already do it PT) but no ins or benefits.
    Last edited by Hmuica; 05-03-2004, 03:21 PM.

Hi,

WOW.....Look how we can't plan our lives....It's amazing how you took a preg test and it came out postitive...congrats on this....but try to focus on one thing at a time..I know you wanted to get the surgery over and done with...but now just concentrate on you and the baby....maybe your spine will not shift...my started shifting after I had my kids.....maybe you'll nurse for one year...everthing changes...as you can see....good luck...vent anytime U want.
    CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
    fused T4 -L3
    Hip graft
    Grown 1 1/2 inches
    25/o upper T 15/o
    53/o T 15/o
    37/o L 6/o
    Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
    New York City

August 6, 2004
    Pulmonary Embolism
    complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
    increasing pain at the T4/5
    point irratation heardwear

Comment

thanks

thanks...I am going to have to forget about my back for awhile...the dr said that even if the curves progress during pregnancy they might correct a little after I have the baby when my organs tighten up again.

Comment

reply about progressive curves

Hi there, and congratulations!! on your pregnancy. I'm so sorry to hear about your curves though and that you'll have to delay the surgery... I know what it's like to have plans shot down, it has been happening to me all year

I just wanted to mention this treatment I've been reading about, and which I started having a few weeks ago. It's a kind of physical therapy which works on strengthening and straightening out the muscles alongside the spine while you are in traction. It was devised by the Pneumex company (www.pneumex.com) and seems to be having good results in all ages and all curve sizes so far. I was just thinking it might be something you could consider trying after your baby is born, perhaps it would help prevent the curves increasing until you can have the surgery...

Hope this helps in some small way...
        Laura

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into that. Sounds promising.

Comment

Hmuica, Congrats!

If you dont mind, does the pregnancy gives your back more pain? I am sorry if i get to personal.

I am a 34 yr old and because of scoliosis, i never think i could have kids ... with a bad back and the curve and all. Your post gives me some hope of having my own family one day.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Mish,

This is Theresa again. I had 4 pregnancies with my scoliosis. My first pregnancy was in 1978 when I had my daughter at the age of 22. (As you can see in my other posts, she is now getting married in 2 months and just finished law school) My second pregnancy was 5 years later and it was twin boys. That was not a happy outcome. I lost them at 261/2 weeks. It didn't have anything to do with my scoliosis. The babies were producing to much amniotic fluid and I'm very short waisted so my body thought it was time to have them. The autopies showed they were perfectly healthy, just to early. Next was a miscarriage 6 months later. Possibly to soon. Then two months later I was pregnant with my son. (he is now 19 and starting his second year at college) He was born 2 weeks late at 10 lbs 3 oz. and 23 inches. I had no problems becaue of my scoliosis. I even had an epidural with the twins. Hope this helps. Theresa
              Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
              Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
              Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
              Fused T2 to sacrum
              June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
              MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Mich,

I had 6 pregnency, and 5 kids and again no problem with the scoliosis, just some back aches in the last trimenster,,,the hardest was putting the babies in and out of the car seat..it would make my back ache forever...
                CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
                fused T4 -L3
                Hip graft
                Grown 1 1/2 inches
                25/o upper T 15/o
                53/o T 15/o
                37/o L 6/o
                Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
                New York City

August 6, 2004
                Pulmonary Embolism
                complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
                increasing pain at the T4/5
                point irratation heardwear

Comment

Mish,

I had 3 pregnancies with no complications from the scoliosis. Delivered 3 healthy babies who now have families of their own.
                  The scoliosis was no issue at all at that time.

Lily

Comment

Thank you Lily. I hope someday to have a child of my own.

Comment

Working...
                    X