Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coming back and asking for help

Hi ,
    I haven't been here for a long time so I would like to say hello to everyone that remebers me and has helped me in the passed. I have had an remarkable recovery from surgery until now...I was taking weight lifting classes at the gym and experienced sharp pain in my upper back that traveled to shoulder. I thought I pulled something in my shoulder so i went for PT and that didn't really help. took am mri and it showed a clean shoulder,,,,All the while the pain in my mid back was hurting...It hurts the most when my head is in a down position and my arms are forward...that pretty much happens all day long...its a common position to be in...bending or washing dishes....anyway.. I went for trigger point injections twice and ct scans....the Dr. said its irratation from the hard wear....how can that happen all of a sudden????the pain does not go away...The scan also showed a screw towards the left...could that mean a screw has broken off????He told me the hardwear is intact...so what is this sudden pain in back from??? any guess?? I'll take any info ???I'm starting to take pain meds again and I don't want to take that route ....Does anyone know about scar tissue from surgery and what does that feel like????any help would be great!!!!thanks!!!!
    CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
    fused T4 -L3
    Hip graft
    Grown 1 1/2 inches
    25/o upper T 15/o
    53/o T 15/o
    37/o L 6/o
    Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
    New York City

August 6, 2004
    Pulmonary Embolism
    complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
    increasing pain at the T4/5
    point irratation heardwear

Hi Connie!!

Haven't heard from you in a loooonnngggg while!!! Apparently you are doing great.....except for this new pain from weight lifting. How much were you lifting? Could you have possibly twisted while you were lifting? What about a torn ligament or a tear in your muscle? I'm not even sure that the last one can happen (I think it does) I'm just trying to throw ideas out to you. Have you tried a few days with ice?

I hope your daughter is doing fine with her brace. Take care of yourself and try not to hurt yourself anymore!
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Theresa,...

WOOOWOOO How R u ???? So much has happened since the last I spoke 2 u...Married 2 kids...my daughter nina 25 and my son Abie 23....both R great....I just came back from vacation and I scaled the rock wall 13 times...I excercise like a machine...everything was great untill this pain came and it won't go away....it makes me cry and very DP if u know what i mean...
      My daughter took off her brace and she looks so far so good...I xrayed my 11 year old son and he has it to,,,,so thats 4 out of 5 kids with crooked backs....things could be worse...!!
      Do U have any idea what could be wrong with me? I was lifting maybe 40 lb. presses...maybe less....I stopped weights but I still continue to work out....There is some crepidus around the area of pain and the sight injections did not do a thhing.....any guess???
      Tell me about you? How has life been treating you??? Have you taken any vacations?? Your back?? Health?? Husband?? write be a private email....
      CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
      fused T4 -L3
      Hip graft
      Grown 1 1/2 inches
      25/o upper T 15/o
      53/o T 15/o
      37/o L 6/o
      Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
      New York City

August 6, 2004
      Pulmonary Embolism
      complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
      increasing pain at the T4/5
      point irratation heardwear

Comment

pain after weight lifting???

I thought there was a max weight we are allowed to lift dictated by the surgeon.

If Dr.Neuwirth checked you out and found nothing it could be you tore some soft tissue or scar near the hardware. I've had odd types of pain after some new exercises and activities. They take some time to heal. I've been helped by soft tissue/myofascial release therapy. 'Ive never resorted to opiods though--just Alleve or Tylenol Arthritis and some "icy hot" salve.

Last fall I fell partway down a carpeted stairway, on my back, bouncing all the way . I was actually black and blue and quite sore for awhile---but nothing happened to the hardware. It was sore for many weeks.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi,
          I've been pain free untill now. Its a stabbing pain on the upper back. Its hard to have to go thru so much with surgery and than to have back pain again that won't let up. I guess what ever is causing this pain will either go away(hopefully) or get worse . If it gets worse I have good doctors to take care of me...Its tender and muscle movement causes pain, I feel something not right. I'll play the wait and see game and what ever happens happens. I wasn't instructed on weight limiation by my doctor. I just assumed to excercise at a normal level. Icing my back when its 15 degrees outside is sucide..lol...I'm in New Jersey...I'll do whatever it takes...to get my self on the mend....Karen thanks for being there for me now and in the past...and be careful not to bounce on any more stairs!!!!
          CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
          fused T4 -L3
          Hip graft
          Grown 1 1/2 inches
          25/o upper T 15/o
          53/o T 15/o
          37/o L 6/o
          Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
          New York City

August 6, 2004
          Pulmonary Embolism