things for hospital...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• things for hospital...

do i need to being a bag for the hospital or should i just have my husband bring stuff when i go to a regular room? also what kind of clothes do i need when i come home since i cant raise my arms over head?
    Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Hi Gayle. I believe I pre-packed a bag for the hospital (lotion, toothbrush, toothpaste, walkman and music and some clothes) and my husband brought it once I was in a regular hospital room. I did have my cd player/walkman while in the recovery/intensive care unit and it was a godsend to tune everything else out. I wasn't really brushing my teeth or anything until I was in a regular room. I did have one outfit that I wore when I was discharged. I had stretchy pants and a bulky top because I wore it over my back brace. I suggest bulky clothes, if you are going to have a brace, and maybe button down shirts if you will not be able to lift your arms. Oh, also you'll want a pair of slip on shoes, like sneakers for when you start walking, and I had a list of phone numbers of people to call.
    Heather
    Surgery date: April 20, 2004
    Anterior/posterior surgery
    Fused T-11 to L-5
    Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
    Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
    Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
    Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

It's probably ok to wait for your husband to bring stuff...you probably won't be able to do anything yourself for a couple of days...as far as clothes, something with a loose, elastic waist and a button or zip-up shirt-sweats, pjs, etc.

Anyway, best wishes for a successful & uncomplicated surgery and recovery!

Renee
      Last edited by flowerpower; 02-07-2007, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Trudy- My husband brought my small suitcase in with me when I checked in for surgery. Was'nt necessary at that time but brought it anyway. I don't even think I touched it the first week in the hospital. By day 7 or 8 I had the nurses looking for my magazines & stuff.. I had made up a small collage of pictures of my family & I wanted that close to my bed! I thought I would use my headphone set & cd player but only used it awaiting surgery to calm me on the way in....the only thing I was interested in when I came to after surgery was TV.... I did'nt use any sweats/pajamas until close to discharge time...had no interest & hospital clothes where easier. I was so glad I brought my make-up bag though, since by day 7-8 I was sitting up putting on my make-up. I remember a hospital worker who came in & brought me my tray of food..he said " hey, you look way better today!" I had to laugh even though it hurt....Ly
        good luck-we are thinking of you!!!
        http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

thanks for the question...

Hi Gayle
          My op is feb 14 and was just thinking about asking the same question! Good luck!
          48 yr old female. 80° thoracolumber curve. Surgery Feb 14 2007. Fused T3 - L5. Correction to 23°. Happy!

Comment

have a prelist here?
            i took finally just plain fun tshirts long enough because the brace goes over ,and you just need long cardigans and easy "tracksut" to walk outside or to kiné ,easy slippers or tennis or flat shoes that hold your feet correctly.
            spray of water,face cream and for dry lips,"lingettes" can come in verry yousfull if non allergic .plenty off face cloths ,nice smelley soaps and spray :always need to be refreshened the first 2-3 days.
            pencils and phone numbers come in very usefull when fealling had enough
            if you stand it powder dry shampoo,i only used it once and waitied 2 weeks for a shower
            a good book!
            Last edited by bonjour; 02-03-2007, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Trudy
              When you go for your pre-registration the lady will tell you what to pack. She has lots of good info for you. You will need two bags. One for the hospital and one for rehab when they move you. For the hosptial I just packed toothpaste, toothbrush, comb, chapstick, mouthwash and make-up. I don't remember needing anything else. You will be in a hospital gown most of the time. When you are transported to rehab you will need your second bag. I had sweatpants and t-shirts, underwear (no bra), and soft flannel pjs and robe. They will also give you scrubs if you don't have clothes that fit comfortable. They gave me a set of scubs to go home in because they were drawstring pants and they felt the best of any thing I tried to wear. Half the people at rehab were wearing scubs. In fact when I got home I bought two more sets to wear to my out-patients rehab because they felt best to me.
              Linda G.

Comment

Hi Trudy...

I can't remember if I've sent this to you before, but I have a list of helpful tips for scoliosis surgery on my website:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                X