Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rotation rotation rotation

hey
    i am sure my consultant will tell me all about this when i see him/her on March the 15th (the date for my first consultation in years and years) but wanted to know from you guys as well:
    when they straighten the spine what happens to the rib rotation? does it stay the same (mine stick out at the back right and front left) or do they move back to a normal position or is it a seperate operation to get the ribs back to normal?
    what are ther peoples experiences with the rotation?

Having surgery wil fix most of the rotation, but depending on how bad or mild yours is and how flexible your muscles are. If you have a severe curve with significant rotation that can't be all fixed by surgery, your surgeon can do a thorascoplasty (spelling?) where they resection your ribs to help fix the rib hump further.

...hope that helps...

-abbie
    aBbiE
    22 yr old F,KU college student
    Kyphoscoliosis...
    Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
    Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
    I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
    Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
    all smiles!

Comment

Hi Optimist...

The amount of derotation you get will be dependent on the surgeon's techniques and the type of implants that are used. I've seen very large rib humps reduced to almost normal. I've also seen people who got almost no reduction in their rib hump.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Optimist,

My degree of correction was not as good as some others on this forum, but somehow they managed to correct my rotation. I still have a curve, but my very small rib hump is now only visable to me, and only because I knew it was there and I look for it.

I did take before and after pictures that I have not had the guts to develop yet. But when I look in the mirror, I see the difference!!! It's amazing to me what they can do for us.

Shari

Comment

hey shari
          thats really cool that they corrected the rib hump was yours on the front and back ?
          i am not really as bothered by the curve (or rather i think i am so used to it now ) as i am by my rib cage sticking out in all direction lol.

i started to get pain in my ribs recently and cant lay down in any old position like i used to be able to!

i am kind of excited to go and find out what my curves are now, its gonna be interesting ! although i remember how horrid it is having nurses with cold hands poking your spine, yuk!

i am so amazed by how brave eevryone who has had surgery is, well done, YOU ROCK!

Comment

Optimist,
            I had surgery 2 months ago and had severe kyphosis (rotation) and so of course had a large rib hump (that I hated!!) My surgeon fixed the rotation 100% and I have no hump at all-yeah!! But I still have a significant curve-it went from 100 deg. to 70 deg. Had I known before surgery that I would still have a 70 deg. curve I would have died but amazingly enough you can't tell I have a curve at all. So I guess the rotation is the reason for the rib hump, not the curve itself. I am 45 and am sure that is the main reason no more correction could be achieved, but I am pleased anyway. Hope this helps-
            Cathie

Comment

Hi Optimist,

My rib hump was on the left side of my back, and it was hard to hide in the last few years. Now it's gone!!! I guess I really should get my pictures developed and show them.

My Mother was in awe when she saw my back after my surgery, and so was I!!! But when I saw my xrays, and I noticed that I did not have the correction that I had hoped for, but I was stabilized, I still to this day wonder, how they corrected the rib hump!!! I can only assume that they were able to correct the rotation.

Shari

Comment

Working...
              X