Dr. Boachie and Dr. Schwab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Boachie and Dr. Schwab

Has anyone had any scoliosis surgery experience with Dr. Schwab or Dr. Boachie, both in NYC?

Dr. Frank Schwab

My surgery date is actually scheduled for December 1, 2004 and Dr. Frank Schwab will be the attending orthopaedic surgeon. I have heard some great things about him. Is there anything particular your looking for?

-Jessy

Comment

Hi Jessy,

I was wondering how you chose Dr. Schwab, what hospital will you be having your surgery and is this your first surgery?

Pearl

Comment

Pearl,

Don't know if you noticed, but Dr. Boachie has a separate thread - all his own - about 12 threads/topics down from this one.

Susan

Comment

Hi Pearl

Actually my Primary Doctor recommended me to Dr. Schwab. I actually broke down crying to her because I couldn't find a doctor who specailizes in scoliosis and I did not want just any doctor operating on my back to mess it up or God forbid end up paralyzed. From what I've heard and read about him, he's supposedly really good. This is actually my 3rd surgery but its going to be an anterior thoracotomy fusion; posterior revision with instrumentation, osteotomies fusion.

My two previous surgeries were posterior fusion of the thoracic spine, now he's going to fuse T2-L4/5. He works at Maimonides Hopsital and Hospital for Joint Disease. The surgery will take place at HJD. I also met his two other partners that will be in the operating room; Dr. Jean-Pierre Farcy and Dr. Lorenzo Gamez.

Surgery is scheduled for Dec. 1, 2004 and I've never felt so overwhelmed with so many doctors appointment for medical clearances and other miscellaneous stuff. I'm constantly on this website to read up on the posts to see if there's anything that I'm missing and to also gain some knowledge.

I hope this helped

Comment

JLozada1013,
            I wish you well on your surgery. I think many people here have used your Dr. so you will be in good hands.
            I was just wondering if this is not too nosy what the history is on your scoliosis and age?
            Why have you had "2" posterior surgeries and what did they fuse then?
            I am concerned bc my daughter just had the surgery and I am petrified to have to think of her going thru this again.

Why the anteriorsurgery?
            Thoractomy.. are you having ribs removed?
            Posterior revision..Why revision?
            Osteotomies fusion.. what is this?
            sorry if I sound ignorant, do you mind explaining.
            Good Luck, when is your surgery?!
            keep us posted, mamakay
            now 16 yr old daughter
            with worsen 65 degree upper curve
            surgery Nov 3, 04

Comment

Hi Mamakay

[QUOTE]
              I was just wondering if this is not too nosy what the history is on your scoliosis and age?

Your not nosey at all. I don't mind sharing I was diagnosed with scoliosis I think at the age of 14 or 15. I am 27 now. I wore the brace for almost 2 years, which it did not work; my curvature progressed rapidly. I had to wait for my skeletal system to mature prior to having surgery. My curvatures at the time were T-68 degrees and L-42 degrees.

Why have you had "2" posterior surgeries and what did they fuse then?

My first surgery was done in April '94, I had levels T2-10 fused with harrington rods. My scar is from between my shoulder blades down the my pelvis. He fused the Thoracic wishing that the lumbar would correct itself. After the surgery I felt fine, did not have pain. As years past by I started having really sharp pains in my back, which at that point I went to the doctor and the rods became loose at the bottom of the fusion. Therefore I had my second surgery, which is removal of some hardware-now the fusion is from T2-6.

What kind of surgery did your daughter have? Posterior or Anterior? What levels were fused? I'm sure your daughters surgery turned out fine. Its only natural to feel that way.

My mother felt the same way, because the doctor promised her that I would not have to endure any further surgeries, and 4 years down the road I'm having a second surgery for revision and correction. I knew what to expect with the second surgery, and boy did I not want to go through the torture and pain again. I thought I was done with it for sure (no more surgeries).

Why the anteriorsurgery? My back has progressed so sever that they have to go through the front. My curvature is T-88 degrees and L-69 degrees. Besides having soliosis, I also developed kyphosis and lordosis. That's why they are going through the front.

Thoractomy.. are you having ribs removed? I am having some ribs removed, and he is also going to "crack" my spine and put hardware in the front.

Posterior revision..Why revision? My lumbar has overcompensated with the thoracic and I have major rotation of some vertebraes. He is going to remove the old hardware that I have there and replace it with new hardware and have the fusion from T2-L4/5.

Osteotomies fusion.. what is this? The bone that they took from behind my pelvis, they used it for the fusion in my spine. They have to chizel out the bones surrounding the old fusion, remove the hardware and place new bone along side for the new fusion. They will probably use the rib(s) for the new fusion, and possibly bone from the other side of my pelvis as well.

Good Luck, when is your surgery?! My surgery is soon Wednesday, December 1, 2004. I should be use to all these surgeries, but honestly I'm not. I've had from mood swings, to anxieties, to even feeling stressed.

How is your daughter doing after the surgery? What's her name? Please feel free to email me (and your daughter too) if you have any further questions or just want to chat

Take Care,
              -Jessy

Comment

Working...
              X