Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg Pain

Hello everyone,
    My daughter Shelby had scoliosis surgery June 19th, 2006. She had serious curves of 44T and 64L. She is fused from T4 to L4. Lately she has been experiencing pain in her right calf and behind her knee. It is not consistent, somedays worse than others. Her doctor ordered an untrasound to see if she had a blood clot and thankfully she did not. Most medicine she tries makes her groggy so she won't stick with it. Her surgeon said the only other thing he can think of would be nerve pain from the screws. He says he won't remove her rods until a year post op but he would rather wait 2 years. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced extreme leg pain and if so did you find anything that helped?

Thanks,
    Kathy
    Daughter Shelby 13 y/o
    44T 64L Now 10T 10L
    Posterior Fusion June 19, 2006
    Fused from T4 to L4

Hi Kathy...

You've posted in the area of Adolescents and Teens. You may want to move it to the Parents area:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=105

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda
      I was actually hoping to get some reponses from teens like Shelby who had surgery and might be having the same pain.

Thanks,
      Kathy

Comment

My daughter, a Shelby as well, does have leg pain occasionally after surgery. It was worst after her first one. Eventually it went away. We believe it was more caused by the fact that she just got streched.
        You mentioned your daughter still has pain. I wouldn't want my daughter to be in pain for a few years till the doctor is ready to deal with it. I would look more into it. Having more than one surgery isn't a great solution for child or parent, but if it is the screws hitting a nerve, I would think it's worth it.
        Emily

Comment

hey
          after my surgery i had pain 4 bout 3 months afterwards in my thigh. it wasn realy a pain tho, it was more like id pulled the muscle except it lasted 4 months & i hadn dn any exercise. if any1 touched it, it felt rely sore & bruised. i mentioned it 2 my surgeon at 1 of my checkups bt he dint seem worried bout it. its gone now bt i neva hd 2 take medication 4 it.
          Becki
          16y/o girl
          42" thorocolumbar curve + rotation
          Had anterior surgery on 9th sept 2006
          www.myspace.com/curvesarecool

Comment

I had it

I also had the leg pain in the back of one of my legs. This started as soon as i started walking after my operation, and when i told my Consultant he dismissed it. A few months later at a post-op appointment i mentioned it to him again, and he looked at it and said my leg was fine.
            The pain was consistant and was also incredibly painful, and when i asked to be referred to him again (i had the appointment on Monday) he said it could be because of the screws are coming lose..which just means he can't have done the operation correct in the first place....

Comment

Working...
            X