Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 weeks post op

Hi all

I am here with an update for you. I had my op 2 weeks ago today. I am now fused from T8 to T12 and had a rib removed from my right side for the bone graft. I only had anterior surgery.

I am told that the op didn't go quite as planned as my lungs kept filling up with blood and the chest drain wasn't draining properly. I was in intensive care for 2 days. I don't remember any of it, but apparently the team was on standby the whole time incase I needed to go back to sugery. Fortunately I didn't was able to go back to the ward. I didn't really have any problems after that. The drain didn't come out as soon as the doctors would have liked, but I eventually I was able to get my brac and come home. I was in for a total of 13 days.

I am now in a brace with a hard back and a soft corset type front. It's not much fun, but I'll get used to it. I only have to wear it for 3 months thankfully.

Karen x
    Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
    Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
    Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
    Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
    No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
    Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

I'm glad you made it through Karen! That sounds scary - is that common to have the lungs filling with blood, etc?? (anyone else know about this??). I'm glad you pulled through and are at home now.

Best of luck with your recovery.
    Jamie

Comment

hiya karen-ive just posted something on the other thread for you aswell.
      im in the same brace as you-with bunnies on it (i know im sad!!).

i was dreading wearing mine but its nearly 6 months now and i dont feel the same without it. ive been told to take it off now at 5 months but i just feel wierd without it.

for anyone reading any of this before the op-if anything does go not to plan then the whole team is on hand to resolve the problem so really dont worry.

Comment

I'm glad to hear that the surgical staff was so "on top of things" and that you are now at home recovering. I look forward to hearing more about your recovery process.

Keep your chin up,
        Anya
        "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
        Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
        19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Karen,

I guess we never really know what's going to happen during the course of this surgery, and that's always a concern. But you kept the faith in your doctors and came home.

We don't all have a great recovery at first and it makes it twice as hard, but you seem to be on the path of recovery, and I wish you nothing but the best!!! Keep up the good work, it's may seem very hard at times, but you eventually get through it.

It just shows what a strong person you really are, and I hope that you can see that sometime down the road!!!

Shari

Comment

Hi

Thank you all for your kind words. It has really helped me.

I am doing ok. I am so glad to be home. It is taking a bit of time to get used to the brace, but I suppose that's normal. The pain is manageable too. It was bad last night, but I just went to bed early, which helped.

My other half, Mark, is fantastic. He is such wonderful support. He has been doing everything for me. I really can't thank him enough.

Thanks again

Love Karen x
            Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
            Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
            Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
            Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
            No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
            Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Comment

Working...
            X