Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimally Invasive Technique

Hi Everyone,

I've briefly read about this minimally invasive technique - where they deflate one lung and enter through "holes" in your side, instead of the traditional posterior approach. Has anyone had this done? I am going to ask the doctor this week about this, as I know he performs these procedures. I'm just not sure how effective it is, and what classifies someone to have this done instead of the traditional procedures?

-Jamie

I just realized there is another post recently on this... but has anyone had this done? Or is this very new?

Comment

MINIMALLY-INVASIVE SURGERY FOR SCOLIOSIS PERFORMED AT LENOX HILL HOSPITAL

Different Surgical Route Offers Less Scarring and Quicker Recovery

minimally invasive surgery for scoliosis, a sideways curvature of the spine, is now being performed at Lenox Hill Hospital. The procedure, which has evolved over the past five years, is performed endoscopically, through one-inch incisions, using video cameras and monitors.

Baron Lonner, MD, an Orthopedic Spine Surgeon at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York, is one of only a few doctors in the country to perform this minimally invasive procedure. Rather than making a long incision along a patient's back, Dr. Lonner enters the patient's chest through several small incisions beneath the arm. "Working on the front of the spine allows more maneuverability and allows a better correction than a surgery done through the back," Dr. Lonner says. "It also produces cosmetically better results, less scarring, and a shorter recovery period. Patients also require less pain medication following surgery and are mobile.

I coppied this from the hospitals web site

we are thinking of this surgery for our daughte
      VINNIE

Comment

Hi Vinnie. I would strongly advise you read a post by.... joeb-z..... under the heading of " going in for surgery- new method."

This is just my advice here, but if I were you I would get another opinion or two. Your decision though.

Macky
        Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
        Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Working...
        X