Pilates is great!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilates is great!

Hey all -- I just wanted to give a plug to working out with a Pilates instructor -- I've been doing it for three weeks and can't believe the difference in my endurance and pain levels. As my stomach muscles get stronger and stronger, it takes more and more pressure off the muscles that are trying to hold up my lopsided spine.

Thank you Karen Ocker for talking about this so much on the Forum; it inspired me to give it a try.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

I agree with you - I also love how I feel from doing pilates. I am still having back pain now that I'm working out those muscles so much. I'm not sure if that really has to do with my spine, or maybe I'm just out of shape.

Comment

Pilates is wonderful! I did private sessions for about 2 years prior to my back surgery and I swear it really helped strengthen muscles and prepare for the surgery. It also helped with some pain that I had before the surgery, because it strengthed my abs, which support the back. Since the surgery, I resumed some private sessions during the first two trimesters of my pregnancy last year. Now I really cannot afford the private sessions (all money is going for diapers, baby food, babies are expensive!), so I tried the mat classes, but I found that there was not as much that I could do. One day, I will take privates again.
      Heather
      Surgery date: April 20, 2004
      Anterior/posterior surgery
      Fused T-11 to L-5
      Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
      Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
      Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
      Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

I have been doing standing pilates. I have 2 workout dvd's and they are good. I cannot do the mat portion. I have to modify some of the movements. I feel that it has helped my flexibility tremendously.
        surgery 9/06
        Rothman institute

Comment

That's great that you find Pilates to be helpful.

Comment

This is a stupid question but if you have a long fusion like I do (T-2 to sacrum) is it OK to do pilates? I'm not that familiar with it. I know I have trouble getting on the floor and am not flexible at all--can't do any bending or twisting at the waist. My abdominal muscles are so lax now a year after surgery that I look 6 months pregnant.

Comment

JudyK....you did not ask a stupid question...no one can ever ask a dumb question here. :-) I'm glad that you asked because I, too, am not flexible and cannot do any bending and twisting and don't know a clue about Pilates.

Thanks!

1975 Clear hard plastic body cast worn
              1976 Operated for high grade Spondylolisthesis; lumbar fused from L2-Sacrum and Harrington rods inserted
              1976 Wore regular type body cast and in bed rest for 1 year
              1977 Rods removed
              2006 Diagnosed with Flat back syndrome with sagittal imbalance
              2008 Scheduled for wide pedicle subtraction osteotomy, sooner if pain increases

My email is ahlan_warda@yahoo.com

Comment

pilates with long fusions?

I work with an instructor 1:1 and we work around my limitations. For example
                I can do the leg work on the reformer, long pull straps, magic circle, knee stretches etc. A lot of Pilates is isometric.

Naturally, I cannot "roll like a ball".
                Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Yoga was great too!

Hi...I can't do it right now, but before my surgery I had a great time with yoga as well. With fusion I obviously couldn't do some of the inverted postures, but found the stretching, muscle toning, and deep breathing really helped with the pain. The breathing in yoga also helped with stetching my rib cage, and seemed to make breathing generally that much easier. I went to classes and worked with an instructor who modified the "sun salutation" for me. Karen, how long did you wait after your revision before you tried pilates again? It sounds like something I would look at doing...some time down the road of course.
                  Cena
                  Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
                  Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
                  July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Comment

Working...
                  X