Brace AFTER surgery??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brace AFTER surgery??

My surgeon has informed me that I will have to wear a custom made moulded brace for 3 months after surgery, all the time except when lying down. Any one else do this? I've heard it can cause muscle atrophy...Did anyone experience this, and how/when do you start getting the muscles back in shape...
    48 yr old female. 80° thoracolumber curve. Surgery Feb 14 2007. Fused T3 - L5. Correction to 23°. Happy!

i will have to wear a brace also for 3 months but havent heard anything about causing anything.
    Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

Hi Mouna...

I think that when you read about muscle atrophy, it's from wearing a brace for a very long period of time. Usually, if an adult wears a post-surgery brace, it's only for 5-6 months at the most.

I wore a post op brace for a little over 5 months.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Mouna & trudy--I have the Jewett brace..it's a small brace. I was told by my surgeon I needed it for 2 months after surgery & then the 3rd mth 1/2 in & 1/2 out..I still go to P.T./exercise & still wear it to exercise on the machines. I like it for support. As far as I know though, I don't really need it..Ly post-op 5mos... http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
        Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 02-02-2007, 12:16 PM.

Comment

I got my brace before surgery and wore it immediately after when getting up. I have to wear it all the time except when sleeping or showering. I think I will be wearing it for about 4 months. Really it is strange how much I didn't want to wear it at first but have become addicted to it. It is now my security blanket. I also wear a bone growth stimulator for 4 hours/day and will do this for 9 months. I hope it works as I get tired of having to keep up with it and I have 8 months left.
          Linda G.

Comment

I also wore a brace for 2 or 3 months after surgery and it actually helped me feel a bit more comfortable...and not so afraid of others bumping or hurting me...strange...(after wearing a brace for 4 years - from 3rd-7th grade - I was afraid to go without I'm post op 20+ years and no atrophy that I'm aware of

Always Smilin'
            Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
            pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
            pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
            right thoracic 57
            lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
            revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
            unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Hi Mouna,

I wore the "turtle shell" brace for several months after my surgery. Make sure that what ever brace you have to leave the hospital with, fits you properly. I didn't and it was a mistake.

I was also told that I could go without it while sleeping and showering. The showering part was a no brainer, but I tried to sleep without it for the first 2 nights and I was scared to death that I would move or do something to hurt myself without it.

I ended up sleeping in it for months, it was like a security blanket for me. I honestly can't say that I made the right choice or not. It wasn't the most comfortable thing to sleep in, but I couldn't sleep without it.

Shari

Comment

Thanks...

Thanks for your replies...I feel better about the brace
                48 yr old female. 80° thoracolumber curve. Surgery Feb 14 2007. Fused T3 - L5. Correction to 23°. Happy!

Comment

I was supposed to wear a brace but mine did not fit properly after the surgery because of anterior swelling. They made me another but I was more comfortable without it. Because I had a lot of pain in the front it actually prohibited me more than it helped. Finally my surgeon told me not to wear it.
                  surgery 9/06
                  Rothman institute

Comment

I was fitted for my "turtle shell" the day after surgery. I did have to go to the company that made it to have it re-fitted because I was so swollen when they measured me. It took about 20 mins for them to fix it.

I wore it whenever I was out of the hospital bed but one morning my surgeon told me not to wear it when I was taken downstairs for x-ray. He explained that while he did want me to wear it often, he didn't want me to feel as though I couldn't go without it. I wore it whenever I was out of bed but after about 4 weeks, I began wearing it less and was given the official "release" from my surgeon shortly after 8 weeks.

Comment

Bra?...

Thanks for all yr comments. Can you wear a bra after surgery, with or without the brace? Does the brace cover your chest area?

Comment

Hi Mouna,
                        I didn't have a brace after any of my sugeries, however, I did find a bra that did up in the front really helpful! If you can wear a bra with the brace, you might find it easier if it does up in the front, rather than reaching around the back. Best wishes!
                        Cena
                        Cena
                        Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
                        Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
                        July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Comment

Hi

it all depends on what type of brace you have.

Im in England and had posterior surgery in aug 06. my brace is a solid cast at the back with material front that you fasten like a corset and padded arm bands..so couture!!!

where as one of the girls i met in hospital had a different type of surgery that was done from back and side and her brace was solid cast at front and back.

Its nearly 6 months since my op but im not out of my brace yet fully. im sort of attached to it now.

i started wearing a bra a couple of months a go it depends on how you feel your wound is healing.

hope this has helped

Comment

The top of my incision was right at the point where the back of your bra would be. I had no interest in wearing one. I wore an undershirt. I guess I started wearing one at about 10 weeks. Before that I couldn't care less.
                            surgery 9/06
                            Rothman institute

Comment

Hi Mouna,

My brace went from above my chest to my hips. And I always wore a T-shirt under it. I eventually ended up having my husband cut out the "boob" area of the brace because it was not in the same place my boobs actually were!!!

I was measured for the brace while I was lying down, and it just didn't fit comfortably for several reasons. I left the hospital before my brace was properly fitted and it was quite uncomfortable for a couple of reasons!!!

My advice is to get it fitted the right way before you leave the hospital!!!

Shari

Comment

Working...
                              X