PDA

View Full Version : Brace AFTER surgery??

mouna
01-27-2007, 10:32 AM
My surgeon has informed me that I will have to wear a custom made moulded brace for 3 months after surgery, all the time except when lying down. Any one else do this? I've heard it can cause muscle atrophy...Did anyone experience this, and how/when do you start getting the muscles back in shape...

gayle
01-27-2007, 10:59 AM
i will have to wear a brace also for 3 months but havent heard anything about causing anything.

LindaRacine
01-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Hi Mouna...

I think that when you read about muscle atrophy, it's from wearing a brace for a very long period of time. Usually, if an adult wears a post-surgery brace, it's only for 5-6 months at the most.

I wore a post op brace for a little over 5 months.

Regards,
Linda

lelc2002@yahoo
01-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Mouna & trudy--I have the Jewett brace..it's a small brace. I was told by my surgeon I needed it for 2 months after surgery & then the 3rd mth 1/2 in & 1/2 out..I still go to P.T./exercise & still wear it to exercise on the machines. I like it for support. As far as I know though, I don't really need it..Ly post-op 5mos... http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Linda G
01-27-2007, 02:23 PM
I got my brace before surgery and wore it immediately after when getting up. I have to wear it all the time except when sleeping or showering. I think I will be wearing it for about 4 months. Really it is strange how much I didn't want to wear it at first but have become addicted to it. It is now my security blanket. I also wear a bone growth stimulator for 4 hours/day and will do this for 9 months. I hope it works as I get tired of having to keep up with it and I have 8 months left.
Linda G.

always smilin'
01-27-2007, 07:44 PM
I also wore a brace for 2 or 3 months after surgery and it actually helped me feel a bit more comfortable...and not so afraid of others bumping or hurting me...strange...(after wearing a brace for 4 years - from 3rd-7th grade - I was afraid to go without:) I'm post op 20+ years and no atrophy that I'm aware of:)

Shari
01-28-2007, 03:45 AM
Hi Mouna,

I wore the "turtle shell" brace for several months after my surgery. Make sure that what ever brace you have to leave the hospital with, fits you properly. I didn't and it was a mistake.

I was also told that I could go without it while sleeping and showering. The showering part was a no brainer, but I tried to sleep without it for the first 2 nights and I was scared to death that I would move or do something to hurt myself without it.

I ended up sleeping in it for months, it was like a security blanket for me. I honestly can't say that I made the right choice or not. It wasn't the most comfortable thing to sleep in, but I couldn't sleep without it.

Shari

mouna
01-28-2007, 04:10 AM
Thanks for your replies...I feel better about the brace

dawney
01-28-2007, 07:51 AM
I was supposed to wear a brace but mine did not fit properly after the surgery because of anterior swelling. They made me another but I was more comfortable without it. Because I had a lot of pain in the front it actually prohibited me more than it helped. Finally my surgeon told me not to wear it.

HGD24
01-29-2007, 02:31 PM
I was fitted for my "turtle shell" the day after surgery. I did have to go to the company that made it to have it re-fitted because I was so swollen when they measured me. It took about 20 mins for them to fix it.

I wore it whenever I was out of the hospital bed but one morning my surgeon told me not to wear it when I was taken downstairs for x-ray. He explained that while he did want me to wear it often, he didn't want me to feel as though I couldn't go without it. I wore it whenever I was out of bed but after about 4 weeks, I began wearing it less and was given the official "release" from my surgeon shortly after 8 weeks.

mouna
01-30-2007, 01:54 AM
Thanks for all yr comments. Can you wear a bra after surgery, with or without the brace? Does the brace cover your chest area?

Cena75
01-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Hi Mouna,
I didn't have a brace after any of my sugeries, however, I did find a bra that did up in the front really helpful! If you can wear a bra with the brace, you might find it easier if it does up in the front, rather than reaching around the back. Best wishes!
Cena

sai
01-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Hi

it all depends on what type of brace you have.

Im in England and had posterior surgery in aug 06. my brace is a solid cast at the back with material front that you fasten like a corset and padded arm bands..so couture!!! :rolleyes:

where as one of the girls i met in hospital had a different type of surgery that was done from back and side and her brace was solid cast at front and back.

Its nearly 6 months since my op but im not out of my brace yet fully. im sort of attached to it now.

i started wearing a bra a couple of months a go it depends on how you feel your wound is healing.

hope this has helped

dawney
01-30-2007, 10:29 PM
The top of my incision was right at the point where the back of your bra would be. I had no interest in wearing one. I wore an undershirt. I guess I started wearing one at about 10 weeks. Before that I couldn't care less.

Shari
02-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Hi Mouna,

My brace went from above my chest to my hips. And I always wore a T-shirt under it. I eventually ended up having my husband cut out the "boob" area of the brace because it was not in the same place my boobs actually were!!!

I was measured for the brace while I was lying down, and it just didn't fit comfortably for several reasons. I left the hospital before my brace was properly fitted and it was quite uncomfortable for a couple of reasons!!!

My advice is to get it fitted the right way before you leave the hospital!!!

Shari

kazyn
02-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Hi

My brace is the same type as Sai's, I don't wear a bra with it at the moment, but then I have only had it for 4 days. I got it a week or so after my surgery and was not allowed to get up until I got it. It's not too bad. I suppose it's something you get used to.

Linda G
02-01-2007, 01:14 PM
I haven't even thought about wearing a bra. I am almost 2 months post-op and my brace is from the middle of my breast to the tops of my hips. I wear undershirts and it is not noticable that I don't have on a bra because the brace holds everything in place. Since my surgery was from T9 to S1 a bra would go right across the top part of my incision and I would think be very uncomfortable.
Linda G.

bonjour
02-02-2007, 04:49 AM
I have a brace for 3 month ,it was mesured the day after surgery and dilevered days after, its made in 2 parts easy to wear over cloths (and bra after 2 weeks),it has nice colors so i just try to adapt my t shirts coloring ,its most for protections against accidental bumps!!! .no worry for muscle loosing you not suppose to do anything to muscle up your back straigt away ,just legs minimum by walking what you can and no more :mad:

lelc2002@yahoo
02-02-2007, 07:18 AM
I had the Jewitt brace & had to wear it for 3 months(2 full & third month half in & half out...) really was'nt too bad at all..........Lynne
http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com