just wondering.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just wondering.....

im just wondering if you can wear toenail polish in surgery? i know you cant on your fingernails.also did anyone have to take a laxative a couple of days before surgery requested by the drs office? if so what is important about having to do that?
    Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Gayle,
    I wasn't sure about the polish, so I took it off. I was never told either way, so I did just incase. I had to give myself an enema the night before. They want your stomach to be empty for a few reasons.. one because they don't want you to get sick from the anesthesia. And after surgery, everything shuts down, so it will take a while for your stomach to start acting normal. Also, because the pain medication causes constipation and bloating, so you shouldn't have anything in your stomach for your own comfort. Believe me- it's still a constant battle for me between the pain meds and laxatives and stool softeners!! Not too fun! While in the hospital, I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything (not even ice chips!!) for the first 3 days, then I had ice chips for two days and then finally liquids!
    I hope you're feeling ok and not worrying too much! you'll be fine
    Lesly

Comment

Gayle,
      Yes you can, also fingernail polish. Years ago, before "technology" , the doc would look at your nail beds to make sure you where getting enough O2 (pink nail beds), now they have a machine that does that.

You proabally won't need to take a laxitive before your surgery. However what Lesly said about the pain meds is true.
      SandyC

Comment

gayle-I had to do the enema thing too...the night before surgery. I'll never forget my husband went out into the(New York) city a few blocks away that hot summery night & got the best Japanese tempura food I ever smelled ...He got me a bowl of soup with nothing but broth in it...I died!!!! I had a cream soda & that!!! I tried not to look at him & his food & almost kicked him out of the room! I could'nt have more than liquids/soups ...that day before
        I'm looking forward to our upcoming wkend in NYcity in Feb...then I can really eat....Ly
        ps. I did the nail polish thg since I never knew when I'd see my toes again....& it was a long time!!!
        http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
        fused T-11 to L-5/boachie/kim@ HSS in NYCity....95 curve..
        Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 01-27-2007, 07:22 AM.

Comment

i wore nail and toe nail polish with no problem and thank god had NO enema. happy about both.
          Stephanie
          T11 to L3
          1 rib removed
          June 5, 2006

Comment

i also have a cold or allergies, cant tell which.hopefully ill be fine in 2 weeks.its just my eyes want to water and i had a cough the other day that almost made me lose my voice..lol.its better now but they wouldnt cancel over allergies or a little cold would they?

Comment

Gayle,
              Im not sure how they are about cancelling surgery due to a cold or allergies... i was worried about the same thing, i had a pretty bad cough for 3 weeks and it stopped just a few days before my surgery. i called my regular doctor and made an appt, but ended up cancelling it, because i stopped coughing the day before the appt. (this was a week before surgery). Then, of course, it came back! When you go for your medical clearance pre-admission testing, they will check everything. I don't think I told the dr. that I was sick prior and she didn't find anything and said my lungs sounded clear, so I was fine.
              If you're concerned I'd call your regular doctor, but I wouldn't worry too much. I was told that they cancel surgery if there is any sign of illness, but I really don't know how often they do that for a cold.
              Lesly

Comment

nail polish when having surgery?

In my work(anesthesia) I place an important device called a pulse-oximeter on the finger nail. It measures a critically important parameter called the blood oxygen saturation. This works by shining a light through the finger nail measuring blood oxygen content as it pulses through the fingers. With some fingernail polishes and acrylics or if the nails are too long I have difficulty getting the best readings.

My suggestion/opinion: use a neutral, non-metalic type and don't let the nails be long because germs lurk under long fingernails.
                Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

hi karen ,does it matter with toenail polish?

Comment

Hi Gayle,
                    I was told to remove both - toe and finger nail polish...(it's always a nice excuse to treat yourself to a pedicure afterwards)! I don't know the reasons, but I know I did have a monitor on my finger like Karen said. As well, I had pressure cuffs on my legs, and I know that the nurses squeezed my toes afterwards when checking for my sense of feeling. As for a laxative - prior to my first surgery in a children's hospital, they gave me an enema the night before.
                    Cena
                    Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
                    Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
                    July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Comment

I polished my toes & fingernails....

gayle--I'm sure you'll be fine w/ polish!!
                      ps...I could'nt see my toes for months, nor did I care to after my surgery... I was way too tired!...Ly

Comment

hi

i was told to remove nailvarnish from both hands and feet-i dont know if they do things different here in England

If they do cancle cos of your cold/allergies it will be for your own good so dont feel too disheartened!! good luck

Comment

My toes were done and they were apparently not a problem. No enema for me although I wish I had one because I did not go to the bathroom for 27 days after surgery.
                          Brandi
                          Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
                          Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
                          L1-S1
                          Dr. William Lauerman
                          Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
                          Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
                          http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

27 days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's got to be some kind of record....and you lived to tell the story..!!!!!!!!!
                            Chris
                            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I lot of people talk about not being able to go to the bathroom. Do laxatives or stool softners work? Doctors know this happens why don't patients get something to help them before it becomes a problem? I had bad gas pains in the hospital after I had a c-section for daughter and I told the doctor - she told the nurse to give me a suppository and since I was able to put it in myself it wasn't embrassing.

Sue

Comment

Working...
                              X