Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does anyone have herniated disk and stenosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone have herniated disk and stenosis?

Is surgery the only thing that can help me? I have only a 40degree lower and 31 upper however I am 43, and suffering from severve left side lower lumber pain, tingling in legs and feet and shooting pains. Sometimes I feel like I am splitting in two. The ortho thinks foriminal stensosis, has anyone felt this way? Will I progress and be worse off if I wait until 50 degreee curve? If I am over 50 years old doesn't menopause and aging effect my recovery? Anyone had this and had surgery? Please Help!
    43 year old
    30-upper
    41-lower
    ddd,bulging disks
    bone spurs
    osteoarthritis
    waiting for surgery

Help.....

Well, I am right here at 50 and I have gone through menopause. I have been going through some really rough days and nights. My left leg gets numb and it won't support my weight when it gets like that. So, I really know what you are talking about. I do have herniated discs and stenosis too. Your question about waiting until you are older to have the surgery made me stop and really think. I would say that if you fear that you need the surgery and cannot continue life normally the way that you are, go for it. Don't wait until you are my age and then think about it. The younger, the better, I am sure.

Comment

pain as only indication for surgery??? Cosmetic???

Pain is not the only indication for surgery. Painless progression is because sooner or later the pain will come.

I tend to see red when people talk about cosmetic as being the sole reason for surgery. Usually it's someone without scoliosis who makes the comment. Mild non-progressing curves are really not that apparent. As the curves get larger and larger and impact the health and well being of the patient they show more.

I remember a medical student, when I was 14 with a 100 deg major curve commenting that the surgery was cosmetic!!!! I could hardly stand.
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Same diagnosis

I have a similar diagnosis as you. I'm 42. I've been to about five doctors and all say something different but primarily the same. Surgery is necessary. I've heard disk replacement is the best thing if you are under 50. Since it is a new procedure they are not sure of long term problems, but they only do this on younger people in case the surgery doesn't work, they can then do a fusion. I wish I had better news. I've been on disability for a year and planning on a longer term disability. I was a Massage Therapist but my problem got worse in my position. Let me know what you hear.

Comment

karen,
          I feel the same way about scoliosis surgery being called "cosmetic" - I don't know about others, but despite my fusion and instrumentation, I still have a rib hump and uneven hips. To me, the idea was to deal with the pain and complications from progression. When I had my first surgery at 13, my "looks" were the last thing on my parents' mind.

Caromelheart...I had the surgery for stenosis (and flatback), and had similar problems with pain...they did a disc replacement too in my last surgery (along with other stuff), but I'm in Canada, so it wasn't an issue with insurance, which I've heard it can be, and it's no longer considered experimental here. However, I'm 31, and I had no other option, since that disc was almost destroyed. I got some relief beforehand from a physiotherapist doing light traction, as well as massage.
          Cena
          Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
          Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
          July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Comment

Working...
          X