Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery recovery time?

Hi there,

I'm a 28 year old female with a 47/30 S curve, and my doctors are recommending surgery (rods in upper curve only).

They have told me that the recovery time is about one month, which seems very optimistic to me! Does anybody have any thoughts about this? I live alone, far away from my family, so if I had surgery I would have to make plans to have somebody be with me during the recovery time.

Thanks a lot! Laura

My 17 year old daughter is now six weeks post op from a fusion of both upper and lower curves (T4 - L2). She went back to school full time at four weeks post-op, but was still quite tired each day and napped when she came home. She resumed her part-time job this weekend with no difficulty. I wouldn't imagine that there would be just huge amounts of difference in recovery time between a teenager and someone your age, if your health is otherwise good. She needed almost no help from me whatsoever after about 2-3 weeks in terms of grooming, dressing, bathing, etc., but you would probably appreciate someone to help you with household chores and meal preparation just because you will be so tired. . You could probably handle it yourself with advance preparation, but the biggest problem is the exhaustion. She was off prescription pain medication at about two weeks, only took Tylenol for a couple of weeks after that, and now needs nothing for pain. You will not be confined to bed - in fact the opposite is true - the sooner you get up and around, the faster you will get better. Hope this helps!

Comment

post surgery recovery time--thanks!!

Hi there, and thank you so much for giving me that information about your daughter's experiences. It is very, very good to know those things about the time on painkillers, tiredness, etc., because it gives me much more of an idea what to expect. Thanks again--it's really appreciated!! Laura

Comment

Working...
      X