teeth problems and surgery...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teeth problems and surgery...

my husband told me that his dad couldnt have knee surgery with a bad tooth because of chance of infection .i didnt know that if you had a bad tooth it would affect surgery or your teeth.does that sound right?
    Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Hi Trudy...

Sure, if the problem involves an infection, they surgery would have to be delayed.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Trudy,

I was told told not to have any kind of dental work so many months before my surgery. That included cleaning.

Of course I'm not sure if that is normal, who knows for sure??? But I didn't do it.

I'm sure this question will be answered by someone more knowledgeable than me.

Shari

Comment

what about if you need a filling replaced on your tooth but its not infected or anything?is it ok to have surgery?
        Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

Hi Gayle, As a registered dental assistant here in Cailf I will try to help with this question. As to your father-in laws tooth infection and his knee surgery when you have an infection in your tooth (Usually it isn't in the tooth it's in the gum tissue surrounding the tooth or at the root of the tooth in the jaw.) the infection can travel in your blood to other areas in your body. That is why surgery would be postponed. Having root planing (or it's also called deep cleaning) can stir up infection also. (If there is infection present.) People who have had mitro valve prolapse or transplants have to "pre med" which is taking an antibiotic before any cleanings as a precaution. As to having a filling, this is decay in your tooth that is drilled out and sucked up and doesn't have a chance to get in your blood.

Shari, I was surprised you were advised against getting any dental work done before your surgery. I think someone was not informed or way too cautious. Who wants to let cavities get bigger or wait while a broken tooth breaks more? I would recommend getting work done before your surgery because you won't be comfortable laying in a dental chair for some time post-op. I had to take a pillow to fill in the gap in the chair at my lower back when I went in at 4 months post-op.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
          X