Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 1/2 weeks post-op

Hi Everyone!
    I just wanted to give you an update.. I'm 2 1/2 weeks post-op. I'm feeling pretty good... I went to my brother-in-law's surprise 30th birthday party last night and I was able to stay for 2 1/2 hours!! Far longer than I anticipated... I felt like I had an extreme makeover- I dried my hair, put make-up on and real clothes and it felt great! I also noticed (and i haden't really before) that I lost around 12 pounds, and so when I was able to wear my sister's size 2 jeans I was very very excited! It was a great day!!
    I'm still in a lot of pain.. I was taking oxycontin 3 times a day and oxycodone every 3 hours. Now, I've been holding out every 4-5 hours for the oxycodone, and i'm still taking the oxycontin 3 times/day until the end of this week (then i'll reduce to 2/day). I'm having trouble with my rib pain. I find that sometimes its excrutiating-- and I have trouble breathing.
    Has anyone else experienced this?? I feel like the pain should be significantly less by now, and it doesn't feel like it's going away all that much!! I guess I don't realize how much better I am, because I am now able to sit at the dinner table for a little bit (usually not more than 20 minutes) and last night, I mingled and was able to socialize, so I guess that's good.... but i'm really concerned, because the pain in my ribs is so bad.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking maybe icing it (the nurse said I could try that..)
    Any advice would be great!! Thank you for everything
    Lesly

Lesly,

This is only my opinion but, if you are still in quite a bit of pain, I wouldn't decrease your pain medicine yet. It is still very early since your surgery. If you are in pain your body won't be able to heal as fast because it's trying to deal with the pain. If you want to try to extend the time in between try to wait til you start to feel some discomfort then take the meds. Don't wait until you are in pain. The rib pain lasted quite a while for me. I think it was like about 2 months. I also found it hard to breathe. Try to take it a little slower, you just came through a very brutual operation, as my doctor described it to me. Hope this helps you somewhat.
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi

I am happy to hear you are doing so well. Why does your ribs hurt? Did you have some ribs removed/cut down to reduce hump size?

Sue

Comment

Hi Lesly,

If you did all that in such a short period of time after your surgery that is a great achievement!!! I am amazed again!!! I think back on how I felt at that time in my recovery, and there is no way I could have done that!!!

Keep it up, and again, I have to thank someone for making me smile!!!

Wow,
        Shari

Comment

Working...
        X