No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Everyone!
    I am sooo glad I found this forum. What a great group of caring and helpful people you are! I really admire those of you who are safely on the other side of this surgery and still take the time to help those of us in "waiting".
    My surgery is scheduled for March 20, an A/P fusion from the sacrum up to level ? There is some debate about how far up to go at this point. I don't know my curves. I am in the same situation that has been described on this site- in my sixties with an untreated scoliosis who has had rapid progression over the past year. I have a history of back problems, probable polio as a young child, two lumbar lams for ruptured L4-5 disc in the early 80's. I am a former critical care nurse, and now work in wildlife rehabilitation. I have had to curtail my activities, and take a medical leave from the job I adore.Each year I take home about 250 wild birds and mammals to rehab, and also work in the oldest wildlife hospital in the US. I want my life back!!!! We see the surgeon on 2/6 and will have many more questions thanks to you folks.
    Thanks so much for the advice and support,
    Julie B.
    Julie B. 65 (felt like 85...now feel like 55!)
    April 17, 2007 Anterior...replaced 4 lumbar discs
    April 18 Posterior..fused T2 to sacrum plus 2 long screws from rods out to ilium
    Great correction...loooong recovery!!!

Hi Julie,
    I had surgery 5 weeks ago and want to encourage you- the first few days are of course a little rough but I am amazed how "normal" I feel after just a few weeks. Not much pain , just tired and trying to get used to my new body. I am 45, and there are plenty of people on here in their sixties that have come through just fine. You will do great! And you will be so glad when it is all overwith. I had a very complex surgery-curve 100 deg. and a very severe kyphosis, my back almost looks normal now! Good luck!
    Cathie

Comment

Welcome, Julie!

I'm 57 and facing first-time surgery for untreated scoliosis myself. You've come to the right place. You'll find a lot of helpful information here.

Chris

Comment

Hi Julie,

Welcome to this incredible place!!! I still remember the first time I found it, and I shed some tears of joy.

I read for months before I actually had the guts to join in, was it the same for you?

To this day I still find it somewhat amazing that a bunch of people, that don't "really" know each other, can be so supportive and caring!!!

We are here for you,
        Shari

Comment

To the "welcome committee"

Thanks Chris, Cathie and Shari for the warm welcome In answer to your question- no, I only "lurked" for a few times until I registered. This is my first ...is it called a "blog"??? my dear husband has been on a site for Rams fans for years, but I usually just surf. About my husband...the love of my life happens to be BC ER doc who ran a busy inner city ER for 21 years and when I am asked about what kind of medicine does he practice...I reply..THE BEST. Here in lies the problem: if I have a cold....he thinks pneumonia. I can't imagine the ordeal for him (and the kids) while I am morphing away in the OR for 4 hours one day and then for 10 the next. Does anyone have any suggestions for those of us who literally know too much about all the things that can go wrong????
          With hope,
          Julie
          April 18 Posterior..fused T2 to sacrum plus 2 long screws from rods out to ilium

Comment

Originally posted by Gator
            This is my first ...is it called a "blog"???
            Nope, a blog is an ongoing monologue by one person. Forum entries are usually called posts.

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

New Poster Child

Ooops...sorry Linda (you Wonderful Moderator..I'm already a great fan...and you live close to me...and your own website has been my lifesaver in terms of preparation.)More thanks than you can know
              New "Poster" Yeah
              Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie. Where are you, and who is doing your surgery?

--Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Welcome Gator.

This forum has been so wonderful for me - as I have over a year to wait for surgery and my surgeon's final decision is taking place this March. I also have a medical family (not ER though), but unfortunately cannot offer any great advice. I've done so much research on this surgery myself that perhaps I already "know too much," but I'm glad I have done the surgery and I'm feeling at peace currently and working on my physical, emotional strength, and faith. I have found it useful to talk through the surgery with my family members (medical and non-medical professionals) to help them understand more about the risks and the realistic realizations.

Best,
                  Anya
                  "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                  Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                  19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Linda!
                    I live in Sunol, in the east bay. My surgeons are Drs Grant and Booth at the Northern Ca Spine Institute in Pleasanton.
                    Julie

Comment

Hi Julie...

You're in excellent hands. I've met Dr. Grant once, and know Dr. Booth fairly well.

Regards,
                      Linda

Comment

In Good hands...

Dear Linda and all:
                        I think that one of the best things that has happened to me during this "ordeal" is finding you folks, and then hearing from someone I have never seen but respect enormously..that my surgeons will put me in "good hands"
                        Blessings,
                        Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

When I found this forum, I felt such a strange bond, and I couldn't even explain it to any family or friends. And I guess I still can't, too them!!!

I have family and friends in the medical fields, but they have no clue! Unless you are dealing with someone that has scoli or a doctor that specializes in it, I have come to the conclusion that they have no idea. Sad to say, but that has been the truth for me.

If I hadn't found this forum, I would still be without surgery. And I think it's a shame that as children, we were told that after a certain age, we could not be helped.

Thank God things have changed!!! I realise that they are still learning about our condition's as we speak to each other, and I hope that in some way this forum can help!!!

I praise every medical professional that has made adult scoliosis a priority, but I also wish that they are connected in some way to this forum!!!

Am I wrong???
                          Shari

Comment

Working...
                          X