Muscle Activation Technique helped me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle Activation Technique helped me

Excellant results shown in latest x-rays after 3 yrs of Muscle Activation Technique therapy.

At age 59, I'm still not facing surgery - only had brace as adolescent. I am tall (5'-9.75"), practiced yoga for 25 yrs and never got pregnant. Curves have increased since those early years due to aging and osteoporosis (as well as others things I'm sure). For the last 3 years I have taken Fosamax medication for osteoporosis; had deep tissue massages weekly/bi-monthly; and participated in Muscle Activation Technique therapy (including MAT exercises, yoga, resistance bands & stability ball).

Results:
    2004 x-ray: upper curve = 37 degrees -> rotation into lower curve = 47 degrees.
    2007 x-ray: upper curver = 39 degrees -> rotation into lower curve = 41 degrees.

I directly contribute the improvement in my lower curve from 47 degrees to 41 degrees to Muscle Activation Technique. My upper and lower curves are now more balanced (similar to my adolescent corrections). All pain in my hip is gone.

I strongly suggest investigation into this therapy. I know another NSF member is taking this therapy also but cannot locate that thread....pls stick with it for it helped me tremendously. Good luck - Cynthia

http://www.muscleactivation.com/main.html

Originally posted by harmoniesdj
    Excellant results shown in latest x-rays after 3 yrs of Muscle Activation Technique therapy.

At age 59, I'm still not facing surgery - only had brace as adolescent. I am tall (5'-9.75"), practiced yoga for 25 yrs and never got pregnant. Curves have increased since those early years due to aging and osteoporosis (as well as others things I'm sure). For the last 3 years I have taken Fosamax medication for osteoporosis; had deep tissue massages weekly/bi-monthly; and participated in Muscle Activation Technique therapy (including MAT exercises, yoga, resistance bands & stability ball).

Results:
    2007 x-ray: upper curver = 39 degrees -> rotation into lower curve = 41 degrees.

I directly contribute the improvement in my lower curve from 47 degrees to 41 degrees to Muscle Activation Technique. My upper and lower curves are now more balanced (similar to my adolescent corrections). All pain in my hip is gone.

I strongly suggest investigation into this therapy. I know another NSF member is taking this therapy also but cannot locate that thread....pls stick with it for it helped me tremendously. Good luck - Cynthia

Yes, I am trying it. It worried me at first as it is so intense and painful at times. It is also very expensive - I pay $100 per visit. I want to continue but I may have to decrease seesions as I cannot afford to pay these hefty fees!!

I am so glad it has worked well for you. It gives me, and others I'm sure, real hope.

Thank you
    Lucy

Comment

Originally posted by harmoniesdj

Results:

Your upper curve actually increased consistent with possible slow progression or both curves can be within the few degrees error measurement +/-. Also your curves are not considered large enough for surgery.

If it makes you feel better, great. But I do not consider your experience convincing enough.
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Karen,
        I'm confused... since when do others have to convince anyone else of their chosen methods of management? I don't think that was why she posted her experience... to gain approval.

How do we know that the curves wouldn't have shown greater progression without management? That's certainly possible. And with the +/- measurement error, isn't it possible that the lateral curve measurement was off in the wrong direction? If there could have been a 6+ degree margain of error for the rotation then there certainly could have been the same for the lateral curve in the other direction (+/-)....

And if she's still not a likely or willing candidate for surgery at the age of 59 then that is surely a testament to her will and drive and success at managing the condition. Whether it's the 25 years of yoga or the MAT, it doesn't really matter what others think, at least she has full use of her spine and leads a healthy life. Most of all, she's happy and pleased with the choices she's made. I can't help but wonder what her measurements/progression would be had she not taken an active role in her health all of these years.

Congrats Cynthia... keep it up!

structural

Comment

I agree with you Karen.

Macky
          Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
          Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Muscle Activation Technique

A prominent scoliosis surgeon in Sacramento, CA does MAT therapy & recommended it. I asked why others don't do it too. He said most don't want to do the work; they just want surgery to be the solution. I am ahead of my time in physical therapy. I was scoffed at for doing yoga 25 yrs ago.....now everyone is doing it! This will probably be the case with MAT therapy also.

But thank you all for your posts. Quoting: "Your upper curve actually increased consistent with possible slow progression or both curves can be within the few degrees error measurement +/-. Also your curves are not considered large enough for surgery." Are you a Doctor?? This statement is a layperson's attempt to diagnose a condition w/o viewing the x-rays. My Doctor yesterday was quite pleased with the results and encouraging me not to consider surgery.

I was told in 1994 that my curve progression was leading me to surgery w/in 5 yrs. My x-rays over the next 10 yrs showed significant progression....NOT slow progression. SO yes, my curves were significant enough to warrant surgery. And without MAT therapy I would be under the knife. Of course MAT is painful....it feels like a knife....but no pain, no gain....it's work & not for wimps.

I've always gotten feedback from surgical patients that is skeptical or negative but it does not bother me. (Perhaps my optomism & very proactive approaches is threatening) I'm just want to stay out of surgery. Whether the measurements are +/- slightly is not significant....I increased the upper curve by 2 degrees to compensate for decreasing the lower curve by 6 degrees. What is significant are the balanced curves & the improvement that I am not a surgical candidate anymore. Also I don't hold my body in tension anymore; I'm using muscles not activated before; and all hip pain is gone.

So my message will get to those who are proactive & willing to do the work. Each person will benefit from MAT according to their degree of disease & their intention. After all $100 a session is cheaper than surgery and not many sessions are needed if done correctly. LOL - Cynthia

Comment

If it works for you Cynthia, that really good, I am pleased for you.

I think that was not really nice though, that doctor saying that" most do not want to do the work". That is so unfair. I wish I didnt have to have surgery either, but obviously I had no choice.
              "So its not work for wimps" I am not a wimp I can assure you. I have had a perfectly normal life, have got 2 beautiful sons and everything has been fine, until 1997. OK now I am in a bit of pain, but my life is still ok. I didnt make it my lifes goal to focus on preventing surgery. I had too much living to do, so I had the surgery, and got on with life and as I said have been happy and done everything I every wanted to do, and had a ball doing it.

Now this MAT has worked for you and so far has kept you from not being put under the knife, well good. But Its a lot harder for people who have curves of 60 or 70 or higher, to say no to surgery.

I try and see it from both sides. Alternate therapy is fine for people that are suitable for it, but unfortunately and sadly other people have no choice. That is not their fault. Nor is it because "they dont want to do the work" nor are they "Wimps" it is just the way life is sometimes. It surprises me that at 59 you have not learnt that.

Macky
              Last edited by macky; 01-19-2007, 05:30 AM. Reason: typing errors
              Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
              Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

'Alternative' or 'complimentary' pain management therapies can benefit anyone, with any degree of curvature or past history of surgery/non-surgery. Having surgery doesn't necessarily mean that pain issues won't present in the future, they usually do. But more surgery to address the pain is not always the answer. Every surgery creates scar tissue, even those performed to address pain. Scar tissue can and will effect function movement patterns and efficiency (as do the implants/rods/fusions).

I think that all surgical patients should be sent through post-operative rehab and therapy as an integrative and comprehensive approach to treatment. But, it is clear that sometimes people aren't interested or willing to do the work, as expressed by some on this forum (looking for the 'no exercise' approach). That's fine, but for those willing it can be of help as a form of management.

Everyone has a choice to do something for themselves or not. It's not a question of "fault", but rather 'choice'.

I think cynthia has learned a lot... and applied it to her own situation.

Comment

All I have to say is that I amazed at the negative tone this topic has taken. I for one am so happy for Cynthia. i thought this forum was for people to trade success stories etc. What works for one may not work for another. It is healthy to be sceptical, especially as there are so many cowboys out there. But I am concerned this could get a little out of hand. I think Cynthia feels a little defensive now which is sad because she was only trying to share her story.

Sorry Cynthia if the wind has been taken from your sails a little. Keep positive.

Take care everyone - I hope you all find something that helps you
                  Lucy

Comment

Hi All

To try and tackle some of the issues raised in this thread

From a patient perspective i have to agree with what Macky is trying to say in patients with large curves (and i know some with curves well over 100 degrees up to 150 +) then surgery is the only intervention open to them paticularly from a cosmetic self esteem point of view its hard you know having to walk around with people staring at you its knocks every bit self esteem out of you and thats before the pain i could go on for hours on this subject from first hand experience. So its not black and white and people don't always get the choice they have that made for them.

I think both alternative and surgical procedures can sit side by side and complement one onother for example pre op exercise and PT are actively encouraged to strengthen muscles and again post op therpay is given to as part of the rehabilitation process often drs will refer patients for physio.

There is no right and wrong answer each individual patient is a human and as such we are all made differently no one human is the same as the next. Some curves refuse to obey bracing so we operate, some curves refuse to obey alternate therapies so we need to operate others respond well so surgical intervention is not needed which is brilliant.

What i am trying to say is each spine is different and reacts differently to treatment. If we were all the same then treatment would be easy and we would all be walking with straight spines and be pain free. Unfortunately we do not live in such euphoric state so out treatments are tailored to our individual needs.

peace

z

Comment

While all of you are arguing about this topic i would just like to ask Cynthia something.
                      With all your background in the situation, do you think that it would be a good idea for me to try and do this MAT thing? I am going to read the site when I am done posting this. It's just that I am trying to find an alternate route to surgery because I'm still in school and I have plans, many that are hard to work around, like school. Missing school, even if i go on independent study, would be really hard for me because i plan to take AP courses. My mom is set on me having surgery, but from what I've heard, my back isn't bad enough to need it, even if my mom thinks it is. My curves are 34T and 43L w/o any rotation or anything. I have a brace, and my back has gotten so much worse over the past 2 years in it. I just really don't think that I should have to stop my life and have surgery if i dont need it.
                      I would greatly appreciate it if you had some advice for me. Maybe I would be able to go to the same person you do, I only live about 45-60 minutes away from Sac. I just have to get my mom to take me there, and pay for it...that's going to be hard!
                      xo MOLLY

my name is molly
                      i am 15 and a sophmore in highschool
                      i got my back brace at age 13
                      i should stop wearing it REALLY soon
                      my curves are 38 and 43 degrees
                      i've had scoliosis since i was 7
                      my legs used to be uneven
                      but now they look much more balanced!
                      and hopefully my scoliosis will start to get better
                      Oh, and i'm raising a lamb. her name is Violet and she's super cute!

Comment

Hi Structural, that was a really good post. Dont faint as I am complimenting you. Just one thing I did have rehabilitation after surgery. I dont agree help "with any degree of curvature" either, but we are getting there.

Zuma, as usual you seem to know how to put things so well. I am trying to improve!

Lucy if you meant I took the wind out of Cynthias sails, I honestly did not mean to do that, and I am sorry if it read like that. I get really passionate and probably sometimes and only sometimes it may come across as not exactly what I am trying to mean. Honestly I really did feel sorry for you, that you could not continue with the amount of times you could attend and may have to go not quite as often because it gets a bit expensive. But dear if you are one of the ones that this may help, well good, that is so cool. Go as often as possible. If your curves are in between the not so bad and the bad situation it cant do any harm surely.

There are people though as I said ,that I am afraid have not alternative but to have surgery.

Zuma did say it so much better,and understands what I am trying to say.
                        Thankyou.
                        God bless,
                        Macky xx
                        Last edited by macky; 01-19-2007, 05:07 PM.

Comment

MAT treatment

Dear Cynthia,
                          Did you do MAT in Sacramento? How was the practitioner? I am looking for help with my 90 degree curve. I'm 59 and suffering. I am in the East Bay. How did you choose your person and what was the cost of training and how often? Please let me know. Thank you.
                          Toby

Comment

Working...
                          X