Question about when someone is done growing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about when someone is done growing

I've heard when someone is done growing,for example the doctor said my daughter is done growing,that there is no use for a brace.But isn't it true that curves can get worse?So wouldn't a brace still help even when someone is done growing.My daughter is almost 12 and a half and her curves are 35 upper and 25 lower.Does a brace work better when someone is still growing?What's the best thing to do?Thanks

I was told by my doctor over 30 years ago and my daughter's doctor 3 years ago, that once that growth plate in the wrist is closed, you are basically finished growing. A brace only helps the curve from getting worse while you are growing. Your curve can progress (grow) even though you are finished growing and the doctors don't know why this happens. Exercise to strengthen the back muscles may help to slow down progression, but don't be surprised if after a couple of years of watching the curve, they recommend surgery. It is also an easier recovery from the surgery when you are younger.
    T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
    2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
    3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
    Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

You're right in that once someone stops growing bracing will not help correct the curve. Your daughter's curves are pretty close to what mine were when I was that age, and after bracing for 3 years, I was still at the same curve. It's held (for the most part) for the last 5 years, so I haven't needed surgery. Doctors can determine if someone is done growing based on the Risser scale, which measures bone density in a bone near your pelvis on a scale of 0 (all cartilidge) and 5 (all bone). Twelve seems young for anyone to be fully grown, so I'd check with your daughter's doctor about where she is on the Risser and, if she still is growing, I'd strongly recommend bracing quickly to help avoid surgery. If she is done growing, then bracing will not help correct he curve simply because the bones are too "set" in place. Hope this helped!

Comment

There is a published article out there that gives the percentage chance of curve progression based on several factors. For instance, the younger the child is when diagnosed with scoliosis, the higher the probability of the curve getting worse. This study also said that if the curve is less than 50 deg. at the time they have finished growing, they are not likely to continue to progress as they age. If the curve is over 50 deg. when they stop growing, the chances are pretty high that the curve will continue to progress about 1 deg. per year.

Comment

I'm new to all this. My daughter is 10-1/2 and when I asked her doctor how long the brace would help her, he replied that the longer the delay in her menstrual cycle coming, the better. Meaning that if she doesn't get her period for a few years, she'll be in the brace longer while her body is still growing. He said that young girls have the biggest growth spurts the year before and the year after they get their periods. So, for example, if a girl gets her period at age 13, then from age 12-14 are her crucial brace-wearing ages, where the brace would do the most good. After a year or so after she gets her period, the curve could worsen, but wearing a brace wouldn't prevent it from getting worse.

Take care,
          Karen

Comment

When I was about 12 I was told I was done growing and there's no need for a brace because i wouldn't progress because i was done growing.
            My curve was about 20degrees.
            When i was 18 I had spinal fusion surgery for my scoliosis and it was 53 degress at that time.
            Hopefully that helps answer your question.

But...I would've gone to a chiropractor rather than get a back brace becuase braces SUCK!!!

Yes scoliosis can get WAY worse after you're done growing.

Comment

Working...
            X