Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm scared, can you help?

Hi, I'm Hannah and I'm 11,
    I have an appointment on Monday and I'm really scared. I don't know if I am going to get a brace or not. I am reading a book and it really scared me. It was about a girl and she was in seventh grade she wore a brace for a year. Then when she went to the docter again she needed to have surgery. My curves are T-4 24, T8-9 23, and L1-2 12. I feel like one big S! Can anyone tell me what to expect at my first ortho visit? Thanks because I'm really nervous.
    jeannette

Don't worry! Your visit to the doctor is nothing to be nervous about. Your curves are fairly low, so don't start worrying about surgery yet. For most doctors, the curve needs to be in the 45-50 degree range for spinal fusion. A brace could be a very important step in preventing your curve from increasing.

At your visit you will meet the doctor. He will probably ask you about general health information. If its your first visit your parent will have to fill out some forms. Then the doctor have you change into a gown and he will look at your back. He will also see how balanced your back is by performing a test where your bend foward to touch your toes and he runs a plastic measuring device over your spine. This device has a little ball in the center, so if your torso tilts one way or the other the ball will move and indicate how large your curves are.

You may also be asked to take an x-ray. You keep your gown on and go into the x-ray room. Then a nurse inserts a large film package (about the size of a back pack) into a standing board. You put your arms around the board like you are hugging it and try to stay very still while the x-ray is taken.

Finally the doctor will talk to you about whether or not a brace is a good idea. If he recommends it, you will most likely have to make an appointment at a seperate location to have a mold made of your upper body that will be used to make a brace.

I hope I've been helpful! Good luck!
    Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
    L2 to T4
    Braced for 4 years
    Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Working...
    X