Its Wednesday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its Wednesday!

I got the cancellation! I go in on Wednesday and have the surgery on Thursday morning.

I am so not organised! I wasn't expecting to get it.

Does anyone have a list of things that I will need to take with me or that you found useful to take? It would be a great help.

I am so nervous now. I am literally shaking.
    Anterior surgery 18th Jan 07
    Fused from T8 to T12 with 2 ribs removed
    Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
    Revision posterior surgery on 26th April 07 to remove protruding rib stumps
    No longer wearing a Stanmore custom hard backed brace
    Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Congrats. I didn't use much in the hospital except for toiletries. I didn't read or anything. Good luck and hope you have a speedy recovery.
    surgery 9/06
    Rothman institute

Comment

chapstick, facial wipes, slippers, comfy pjs or a robe...those are some things i remember my son needing the most. Best wishes for a successful, uncomplicated surgery and recovery!

Renee

Comment

Thanks Guys

I am so nervous now. I cannot sit still. Part of me is excited too, how wierd is that!
        Surgery was done by Mr Harrison and his team at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore, England
        Posterior surgery on 18th August 08 due to non fusion of first op and further kyphosis. Two rods from T2 to T12

Comment

Originally posted by kazyn
          Does anyone have a list of things that I will need to take with me or that you found useful to take? It would be a great help.
          Good luck!

Here's the list:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Good luck Kazyn! I can understand your excitement as I was a bit excited going into my surgery too.

In addition to preparing for your hospital stay, I would suggest having things prepared at home too. Meaning, that you rearrange your refrigerator and cupboards to put items you'll use the most within easy reach to avoid bending or stretching.

Good luck!!!!

Comment

Things I did to get ready

Here is an old post I made in November. It gives all of the preparations I did.
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did not have that much time before my surgery - about 6 weeks. But once I decided to do it, I got into full gear preparing for the needs I would have after surgery and in the hospital. I read the book The Definitive Patient's Reference: Second Edition by Dave Wolpert - which was written by a patient of my doctor (Kurt Von Rueden, Austin, Texas). He gives lots of tips on preparing for surgery and understanding the options prior to making decisions.

So, I started packing a hospital "kit" with comforts of home that I would want in the hospital. I started cooking simple meals like chicken soup and homemade spaghetti sauce that would be easy to freeze in small servings and warm up in the microwave during recovery. I organized my bedroom with a shelf/cubbie system by my chair that contained all of the things I would need within arms reach while sitting in my chair during recovery (puzzles, thermometer, medication, relaxation CDs plastic spoons and forks, paper towels, chapstick, TV romotes, movies). I set up a lamp on a remote control plug so I could turn the light off and on without getting out of bed or reaching around. I put phone chargers within reach. I got a little fan and a little heater so I could adjust my environment. I purchased small baskets to sort mail and keep checkbook and credit cards for people who did shopping form me. I bought a bunch of thank you notes and put them in a basket with stamps and my address book. I bought cups with lids and bendy straws at Sams. I stocked up on home essentials so I would not have to ask people to shop for me. I bought gowns and pajamas that button down the front so I would not have to reach over my head to pull on and off. I got larger than normal camis to wear under my pajamas until I can wear bras again. I borrowed a walker and shower chair from a friend. I asked my doctor to order a raised potty seat with handles. I moved the toilet paper from the wall on the side to a stand in front of the toilet. I set up support from my sisters and friends to come stay with me (I live alone with my 13 year old daughter) until I am on reduced medication and feel safe staying alone. I got a TV table that slides under my chair (The Perfect Chair - Zero Gravity) so that I can eat meals, write and set up my antibiotic IV treatments. I use my laptop on the table so I can check email and the forum whenever I want!

Yikes, I really went crazy but it helped me own the surgery and feel more in control during the weeks prior to walking in to the hospital.

I have used and enjoyed every one of the items I set up and they all have added to my independence and confidence during my recovery. I am now 5 weeks post op on my scoli surgery and two weeks post op on the infection surgery. So, I still have a long way to go and I use all of my items daily.

I wish you the best with your preparation time. I'll look forward to hearing about your own preparations. I know others have unique ideas on how to get ready during this important pre-op time. Use every minute!

Joan

Comment

Best wishes! I bought a couple bras that did up in the front - then you don't have to reach around and strain to do up the hooks (once you feel like wearing bras ). I bought a couple of pairs of sweat pants, and fastened a switch on a long cord to the lamp, so I could turn in on and off while laying down. I also bought several novels and kept them next to the bed (I've knocked off quite a few novels in the past two months!). I also was able to purchase a graber and a sock put on aid from the hospital, but if you can't get them from there, they would be handy to get ahead of time. Just a couple of ideas!
                Cena
                Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
                Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
                July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Comment

Thank you all so much for your support and suggestions. I have packed my bag and organised things at home. I have bought loads of frozen food to keep my other half going whilst I'm in hospital too. I can't have him going hungry lol

Thanks to you all, I am feeling much more in control.

This all happened so quickly. I was supposed to have the op in August last year, but my surgeon broke his hand and I was starting to feel like I was never going to get it, but now all of a sudden I have only 2 days notice (I was on the list of those who could take a cancellation)!

I have also booked to get my hair cut tomorrow. I think it might get in the way, it is down to my bum as it is lol.

I have given Mark, my other half, permission to post for me and keep you all updated and hopefully I will be back on here before to long.

Love

Karen x

Comment

Hi Karen...

Don't forget that you probably won't have the stamina to fix food for your family for at least 2-3 weeks from the time you return home. If/when friends and relatives ask what they can do, encourage them to cook and drop off food.

In case you didn't know, you can donate your hair:

http://www.locksoflove.org/donate_hair.php

Regards,
                    Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

That is such a good idea about donating my hair. I'm sure someone could make very good use of it, since it's so long lol

Comment

Karen

I wish you a safe surgery and a speedy recovery, I will say a prayer for you.
                        I am kind of nervous too, I am having surgery Feb. 7, 2007. I just made a few meals today and put them in the freezer for when I come home. Planning ahead gives you a sense of control so you won't feel so helpless when you come home.
                        Thanks everyone for the great tips.

Sue

Comment

Hey Karen,
                          Seriously good luck and a very speedy recovery. I am having my surgery in Feb 2007 so this was really helpful for me, especially Joan's. Didn't think about pjs that button at the front, silly really.
                          I am from the UK too where are you having your surgery?? I am planning to learn Spanish during my recuperation. I thought having a project would help keep me occupied.
                          Look forward to hearing your updates.
                          M

Comment

Working...
                          X