Grey's Anatomy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey's Anatomy

For those who missed it, a patient on tonight's episode of Grey's Anatomy had a severe scoliosis (and VETR) and had multiple surgeries that failed. You can watch the episode on the ABC website. Warning: They make it all sound WAY scarier than it is in reality.

--Linda
    Last edited by LindaRacine; 01-11-2007, 11:37 PM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

I do not know for certain, but this patient will probably be back next week because of the way the show ended tonight. Like Linda was saying... www.abc.com shows free re-plays after 2am on Friday morning for Grey's. They will have the last 3 weeks or so up.

Comment

Ok that was frickin scary. Is this form of scoliosis genetic? Where can I find out more about VETR? I can't find it on google.

Comment

Why was she bent over?

I was confused with why the girl was still bent over almost 45 degrees since she had already had several surgeries. Also with why the surgery using metal cages along her spine would be experimental, since people on this forum have had this done.

I do hope that they will continue with her story next week since they left it with the insurance refusing to cover the $200,000 surgery saying it was too experimental.

Deb

Comment

If I am not mistaken I think it was VATER syndrome.

Comment

Mandy is correct:

http://www.kumc.edu/gec/support/vater.html
            http://okok.essortment.com/whatisvatersy_rtkq.htm
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

i don't know if anyone else noticed, but when they showed the girl's x-rays she had kyphosis in her thoracic spine... but then when she walked she was bent over at her waist- it didn't make any sense! then when they showed her back, she didn't even have a scar from the surgery(s) she has had from before and it didn't show kyphosis, it showed scoliosis... it just didn't all fit... i was dissapointed personally- i know it's a tv show but you'd think they'd make more of an effort to make it more accurate...

Abbie
              aBbiE
              22 yr old F,KU college student
              Kyphoscoliosis...
              Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
              Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
              I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
              Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
              all smiles!

Comment

It's repeated tonight

Last night's episode will be repeated tonight at 8:00 pm. They said it after the show yesterday and I checked the website and it's mentioned there as well. It was a good one.
                1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                2000 Partial Rod Removal
                2001 Right Scapular Resection
                12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

thks for the info... I'll check it out..Ly

Comment

This episode hits home - Braydon has VATERS Association just like the 17yr old in the story. Some of the technical (Hollywood) errors include: VATER is an Association NOT a Syndrome; it is not genetic (genetic meaning hereditary); the patient had kyphosis in addition to scoliosis which caused her to walk facing the ground; the more up-to-date acronym in VACTERL; etc.

Overall, I think the human side of the patient was well done. They found a great actress who fit the anatomical role well - short stature, short neck, etc. Her spine sitting on the bed was NOT hers, obviously, and the xrays weren't either. Having raging teenage hormones to deal with besides the struggles of feeling like you are on parade when supposed medical professionals gawk is understandable. I liked how they softened her quickly when she realized that even beautiful doctors have hard lives.

Many parents I've heard from today all related well to the mother yelling at the insurance company on the phone. How many times have we felt like that? Too many to count. And, I'm sure Izzy's money will come in handy with this case, so no worries - LOL

There is a website for parents, families and adult patients who have VACTERL related issues: http://www.thevaterconnection.com

VACTERL is a dumping place for patients who don't fit into any other category or syndrome and have at least 3 of the anomalies listed in the acronym. There is no known genetic component, no chromosomal anomlies. They (the medical world) figure there is a glitch of nature during the early days of fetal growth that cause these mid-line defects. VACTERL patients range from very mild (lead very healthy, normal, active lives) to patients who are dependent on others for everything.

Since this is close to my heart, it's interesting for me to read people's comments and opinions. Thanks for sharing.
                    Carmell
                    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

The x-rays didn't match the patient at all. The patient walked as if she had a very bad case of flatback, which causes patients to bend forward at the hips, but the x-rays were of a patient standing upright.

I can't remember ever thinking that any of these medical shows were technically accurate. I can't remember which show it was, but sometime in the last 10 years or so, one show had a spine patient laying on their back, but everything else made it look like it was a posterior approach. I try not to get hung up on the details.

I can definitely identify with the insurance issue. I hope we'll be seeing more on this issue in coming episodes.

--Linda

Comment

Linda- I caught the rerun of Grey's Anatomy the other night...it did'nt seem that realistic to me either..except for the insurance part.. I never screamed at anyone but I felt like it....
                        As far as the show, I never started watching it prior to surgery because I did'nt want to imagine important hospital personnel making dates or discussing their personal business while they are working on me...I find the show very silly.....but I'm old....Ly

Comment

Working...
                        X