Question about Recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Recovery

Hey, I'll probably be having my surgery this summer (probably May). I am a 20 year old female. The only question I have is how much assistance do you need during your recovery time? I know everyone recovers/feels difference but I'd just like a general idea.

My dillema is that my mother will not be leaving for vacation for the entire summer at the end of June. So she will be there to help me the first few weeks of recooperation but the end of the summer she won't. My sister (who is younger than me) said she will be there to help out but she is not gonna wanna be cooped up in doors with me the entire summer. So I was just wondering exactly what things most of you needed help with during your recovery.

The first few weeks having your mom there will be great. You will be taking care of your own personal needs by the time she leaves. Your sister can then be there for you some of the time but she won't have to stay with you every minute. She could help with driving you places or running errands for you. She could prepare simple meals or keep up with light housekeeping. She can keep you company parts of the day but you can be left alone for several hours at a time. It would be good if your sister could spend the nights with you just in case you need something but she doesn't have to be there constantly after you are beyond the first few weeks. That was my experience anyway.

Take care. Best wishes.
    Joan

Comment

I agree with joan 100 percent. While not everyone is the same, you are very young and usually recovery time is quicker. When I came home my boyfriend was off for about 10 days and then went back to work. I made sure I had everything I needed on the first floor. Good luck.
      surgery 9/06
      Rothman institute

Comment

I had surgery when I was 30 and was fused T3-L4. I had help for the first 2 weeks that I was home and then I felt confident and comfortable enough to be on my own.

Comment

I had help the first 2-3 weeks after coming home from the hospital... My single aunt lives my family and she usually takes care of meals and housework while my parents are away at work. Regardless, the first 2 weeks was kind of rough... I needed assistance getting up from bed, having my meals set, and washing up. Also, you will need someone to take care of your bandages... For me, I was in bed majority of the time because of the effects of the pain meds (made me drowsy). By the third week, I had enough strength to get myself out of bed... And I would take breaks by walking around the house.

It's been more than one-month post-op, and I feel more confident in my recovery than I was during the time after getting out of the hospital. It was a little bit hard at first, but with confidence and support, you'll make it. I'm also really inpatient and I had to learn that everyone does recover at their own pace and time...

Good luck and best wishes!
          Sandy
          23 year old female, Analyst, Maryland
          Diagnosed with scoliosis at age 11; wore the same brace for 3 years and never saw a doctor again until age 23
          65 degree curve reduced to 28 degree after surgery
          Posterior spinal fusion (T-2 to L-2) with segmental instrumentation and iliac crest graft surgery, December 4, 2006
          Dr. John Stinson, The Orthopaedic Center, Rockville, Maryland

Comment

Working...
          X