Scared Of Surgery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scared Of Surgery!

As I get closer and closer to my next doctors appt, I get more and more nervous, because I know that my back probably didn't get any better. I know that he will tell me to start thinking of a surgery date, but its so hard! I'm a sophmore this year, and this summer I have so much planned, and then i am getting my liscence in November[finally], and then my mom wants to take me to NY for my 16th bday, but we probly wont go until February, and I really dont want to miss school, and I still have to get all me PE credits, and I LOVE swimming, and thats how i build my back muscles, and this is getting to be a really long sentence!! I'm just so worried about EVERYTHING that has to do with surgery. I've had some surgery before, so I'm not all that worried about the actual procedure[okay, that's a lie] but I am really worried about afterwards, missing the most important years in school. I almost wish I had done this last year! Plus, if i have it the summer before my senior year, i will have a lot of limitations, and I FINALLY figured out how to wakeboard, and i really want to be able to still do that. I guess I am freaking out about the after effects! Any words of wisdom or just help??

my name is molly
    i am 15 and a sophmore in highschool
    i got my back brace at age 13
    i should stop wearing it REALLY soon
    my curves are 38 and 43 degrees
    i've had scoliosis since i was 7
    my legs used to be uneven
    but now they look much more balanced!
    and hopefully my scoliosis will start to get better
    Oh, and i'm raising a lamb. her name is Violet and she's super cute!

Hi Molly...let me start by saying to slow down and just take a deep breath. IDK when your next appointment is, but everything should be okay. Remember that scoliosis surgery is rarely an emergency situation so you have time to think about it and decide when you want to do it. Your curves are still rather small so there is no need to worry yet. If you dont want to have the surgery the summer before your senior year you can wait until after you graduate. I had my first surgery the second day of second semester senior year. I missed 2 months of senior year and was homeschooled (tutored) during that time. I can definatly say that I missed lots of activities with my classmates, but was happy that I had the surgery and a straight spine.
    If surgery is going to be a necessity for you in the future you might want to think about when the best time for you to have it will be. Think about things like how if/how much pain you are in, school, work, marriage, kids, etc. I know that sounds weird now, but like I said before, scoliosis surgery is rarely an emergency situation.
    Take some time for yourself and relax. Cheer up and good luck at your upcoming appointment.
    Mandy

Comment

Well put Mandy. I'll add a bit more to that. Yes it's true that scoliosis surgery is not an emergency, but it's not something that you can put off for years as you curve could possibly continue to worsen. The sooner/younger you are when you have it, for the most part, the easier the recovery, and the better correction you'll get. Without sounding like I'm patronizing you, discuss it with your doctor, and your parents, and use them as a "sounding board" to help make the decision. Right now you are still quite young, and it is difficult to see much beyond what is happening right now. (It's why your school life etc. is so important to you. In some ways it is, but years from now, you'll look back on it and wonder why it WAS so important.) That has nothing to do with you as a person, but is part of the development of the human brain. Certain parts of your brain have not completely developed, and will need another couple of years to get there. These developing areas of the brain are involved in helping you be able process your thoughts better and better enable you to see the consequences of your decisions/actions. The bottom line here is that while the surgery is not an emergency, timeig is everything and getting your parents' input on this can better help you figure out when the best time to do it is. Don't forget that another factor in all of this is when the doctor or the hospital will be able to take you. So far as things like the P. E. credits, if need, be you will be allowed a waiver from the state. So far as swiming goes, i would imagine that as soon as the incision is healed, you'll be allowed back in the water. This will also be encouraged as it is a great way to exercise without trauma/physical shock to your back like running or riding a horse. If you have ther surgery early enough, there's no reason why you shouldn't be in fairly good shape to go to NY. Talk to your parents and let them help you put it all into perspective.

Comment

im scared too. i go back feburary 5th and i have like 2 40 degree curves that I KNOW worsened. =//
        i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

Hey I dont know the whole story obviously, but I was in a much worse situation when I found out I had scoliosis (my 13th birthday). All I can say is it came on quick, progressed fast, and never had an option but surgery. So my advice is... go in with a strong head realizing that surgery is a possibility and that alot worse things could be happening to you. Stay calm, dont freak out or assume to much (it might not have changed at all). Ask questions and even if you do get scared, dont be afraid to show it and express those concerns. Everyone there would be much grateful if you keep a level head and express what your really feeling or thinking. I had to have surgery, and I'm five almost six yrs post-op now. My life is great, but acting like I said earlier is what made everything go so smooth. If you have any questions email me. I'd love to answer any of them. -Ali K.

18 yrs old
          surgery~ Aug 2001, and three major curves.
          spinal fusion and metal rods
          but thats the past
          now~ Univ of Tenn freshman
          future~ something prime time!
          akitzrow@utk.edu (anyone email me with any questions you have!)

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm starting to get used to the idea. I still have some questions that you guys can answer. Is it hard to stay standing for a long time? I want to be a hairstylist and my mom thinks that it would be too hard on my back to be standing ALL DAY LONG. I am also really concerned about school. I'm in AP(advanced placement) and those classes aren't offered in independent study or home&hospital because of all the lecturing, thats all we do in the one AP class that i can take now(the only one offered to sophmores). I really would like to take a class that challenges me, rather than an easy class. Plus, i would have to be able to come in for test days for AP classes. I just have to really think about this, because i dont really want to wait forever to have this surgery, but i really want to take those classes. Only thing i could think of is having someone tape EVERY lecture. I feel like time is running out, because i have to know what my schedule is by march. I guess I better make a decision!

my name is molly

Comment

Hi Molly. Well dear I havent found anything too hard on my back , until 1997 I mean. I have stood all day in my employment, moved house at least 20 times and so on and so on, done everything and had a fantastic time doing it.
              Reach for your goals honey, if you want to be a hairdresser go for it.
              You sound like you a feeling a little easier about surgery, is that right??

God bless,
              Macky xx
              Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
              Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Molly, here again you can get help from your parents. (The school may be less likely to give them a run around.) Do some investigating on this as there may be state requirements for the school to help you with any AP courses while you are out, or for them to allow you to take the course(s) the following year. If the idea of taking a class with underclassmen bothers you, think of the alternatives. What you can do is figure out 2 or 3 approximate dates when you could have the surgery and then list the pros and cons for each date and see which is the best. If need be, you can choose more dates to start with, narrow those down to 2 or 3 and then work from there. Set your self up with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices, in case your doctor can't fit you when you want it. You may also get more specific dates from your doctor for the final choices, so that you know that a date you are picking is available. Good luck.

Comment

In my opinion.....get it done sooner than later

In my opinion......it's better to get the surgery done sooner than later (just as long as youe done growing).
                  If you get it done now...you might miss out on a year or even just one semester of swimming. From my personal experince with the surgery......yes you need to rebuild your back muscles....but I was able to swim 3 months after my surgery. Obviously not swim like a champ...but swimming only 3 months after such a surgery...that a REALLY good start!!
                  Then you can probably be back into it the way you are now, before you graduate

Get 'er done!

Comment

I'm not so sooper scared about the surgery anymore, i just dont want to have to stop everything to do it. That just seams like a lot right now. The whole thing with school, and all my classes, wakeboarding, and all the billion things i've always taken for granted. I'm going to look into that MAT thing, i just dont know how my mom will handle news of something expensive like that...

my name is molly

Comment

Hi Scoliosis gal. Look into the MAT thing, the only thing that is worrying me is the progression of your curvature over the past two years even while in the brace. You said yourself that it had gotten worse.

There are no magic buttons dear one can push, it just depends on so many things which your doctor has probably already discussed with you. I think your parents can see the whole picture and love you and probably are really finding it so hard themselves to think of you having to have surgery, that would be scarey for them as well.

Macky xx
                      Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
                      Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

=p if you need it dont get it until later?
                        i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

Originally posted by Scoliosis_Gal
                          As I get closer and closer to my next doctors appt, I get more and more nervous, because I know that my back probably didn't get any better. I know that he will tell me to start thinking of a surgery date, but its so hard! I'm a sophmore this year, and this summer I have so much planned, and then i am getting my liscence in November[finally], and then my mom wants to take me to NY for my 16th bday, but we probly wont go until February, and I really dont want to miss school, and I still have to get all me PE credits, and I LOVE swimming, and thats how i build my back muscles, and this is getting to be a really long sentence!! I'm just so worried about EVERYTHING that has to do with surgery. I've had some surgery before, so I'm not all that worried about the actual procedure[okay, that's a lie] but I am really worried about afterwards, missing the most important years in school. I almost wish I had done this last year! Plus, if i have it the summer before my senior year, i will have a lot of limitations, and I FINALLY figured out how to wakeboard, and i really want to be able to still do that. I guess I am freaking out about the after effects! Any words of wisdom or just help??

i had scoliosis surgery and im going to have two years this june but i am in high school too and i can swim and since i cant do any other stuff they are wavering it for me and for the next years its going to be a special pe where all you do is walk around the campus .. im not going to lie to you.. surgery hurts maybe the first couple of weeks.. i had my surgery on June 20 and i came home July 4 and i went to the mall to watch fireworks.. Its hard at first because you dont know wut will happen but to tell you the truth i dont even remember anything from the hospital only that i was really thirsty and i couldnt drink water but thats it! they give you alot of drugs so i couldnt remember alot of things.. Its going to be hard sometimes but you can do it.. If i did it you can too!

Comment

just another one who had scoliosis

I had a spinal fusion when i was 14 years old, back in 2001. i had an s curve as well...64 degrees and 36 degrees. The metal rods in my back are 14 inches long, but it really has no effect on me. I can still touch my toes and everything (and i dont even go off in metal detectors! haha) anyways, i remember my surgeon saying the only things I cant do now are play tackle football and do gymnastics. (Oh! Anddd by the way... i instantly grew an inch and a half! pretty cool, huh?) So don't worry about it. Yes it is painful for a few days while you're in the hospital and while recovering at home...but I know you can do it! If you have anyyy questions at all, feel free to ask. I'm a sophomore in college now and had the surgery when I was a freshman in high school. And I'm still extremely involved in basketball, tennis, and softall...and actually started yoga a few days ago lol. Good luck with everything, send me a message if you want to talk thru email or on aim or anything.
                            Hey, my name is Meg
                            Had idiopathic scoliosis when I was younger--it worsened to 64 degree curve
                            Had spinal fusion in 2001 when I was 14
                            Feel free to ask me any questions you may have!
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/store/scoliband.php

Comment

You younger members are just wonderful, I give you heaps of kudos. You should all be so very proud of yourselves.

Macky xx

Comment

Working...
                              X