Question about 8 year old and her brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about 8 year old and her brace

My 8 year old daughter, Destiny, has been wearing a Boston brace for a couple months now. She absolutely hates it. She is the only kids at her elementary school that has to wear one. When she needs to use the restroom at school she needs help with the brace, taking off and putting it back on. The office staff has been very supportive and lets her use the office restroom and one secretary helps her with the brace. Destiny also has been very sensitive lately and cries at a drop of a hat. She has juvenile idiopathic scoliosis and her curve is 35 degrees. She wears the brace 20+ hours a day. Destiny has learned that when she doesn't wear it, takes it for a short break, her backs starts to hurt.

I have a couple questions that I hope somebody can help me with.

1) How can I build her up and make wearing the brace a more positive experience?

2)The brace has a tendency to push on the waist line of her pants causing them to slip. If she wears a belt, after the brace is put on the belt bunches up in the back causing discomfort when she sits down. Any ideas on how to help her keep her pants up ?

Cabann,

I can certainly understand what you're going through. My son wore a brace from before his second birthday until he was five and a half. The only things I know of that can keep the pants up are suspenders or wearing sweatpants with elastic. He could never wear jeans unless they had a fully elastic waist and even then certain fabrics would not stay up.

By the way, have you by any chance, read up on the stapling procedure? There are some posts here and info available on line. Just a thought since your daughter has so many years of growing ahead of her.

Best of luck,
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf
      Cabann,

I can certainly understand what you're going through. My son wore a brace from before his second birthday until he was five and a half. The only things I know of that can keep the pants up are suspenders or wearing sweatpants with elastic. He could never wear jeans unless they had a fully elastic waist and even then certain fabrics would not stay up.

By the way, have you by any chance, read up on the stapling procedure? There are some posts here and info available on line. Just a thought since your daughter has so many years of growing ahead of her.

Best of luck,
      Thanks for the info. I have never heard of the stapling procedure. I definitely will be doing some research on that.

Comment

It's actually called vertebral stapling or vertebral body stapling. It has mostly been done at Shriners Hospital in Philadelphia by Dr. Betz and his team for about the past 6 years or so. It is now becoming a bit more widely accepted and I've heard that a few other doctors are learning the procedure. But by far the vast majority have been done in Philly so I'd go there if you decided it's an option you wanted to pursue. You can always go for a free consultation (in case you weren't aware, the care at Shriners is not only top notch, but it's free of charge).

If you want to e-mail me, my address is mariaf305@yahoo.com. I can also put you in touch with some other moms whose kids have had it done.

Good luck,
        mariaf305@yahoo.com
        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

im 12 and i have a boston brace as well.

1) How can I build her up and make wearing the brace a more positive experience?

what my parents did with me they were like "this or surgery, pick one." not that supportive of them. =p but maybe try to comfort her in any way possible.

2)The brace has a tendency to push on the waist line of her pants causing them to slip. If she wears a belt, after the brace is put on the belt bunches up in the back causing discomfort when she sits down. Any ideas on how to help her keep her pants up ?

try sweatpants. thats what i did. or try a bigger pants size with a belt? thats what i do. =p

i hope i can help!
          i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

oh, in pants have ones with spandex, polyester, and something else i forgot.
            i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

Pantssss!!

I ALWAYS have problems keeping my pants from sliding off my brace, especially when i sit down. I never really found a way to deal with it, i kind of got used to pulling my pants up like every 2 seconds
              Sorry, I know that doesnt help like AT ALL. I'm still trying to figure most of the tricks to this thing and I've had it over 2 years!! All I can say is hang in there and do what you can!
              x0x0x0x0x0x0x0
              Molly

my name is molly
              i am 15 and a sophmore in highschool
              i got my back brace at age 13
              i should stop wearing it REALLY soon
              my curves are 38 and 43 degrees
              i've had scoliosis since i was 7
              my legs used to be uneven
              but now they look much more balanced!
              and hopefully my scoliosis will start to get better
              Oh, and i'm raising a lamb. her name is Violet and she's super cute!

Comment

I've had a brace since I was 8 and I'm almost 17. I still wear a Boston, but I had a Milwaukee for the majority of the time. The best thing I ever found for the pants issue were stretch jeans. They stretched up over the brace and stayed there. They came in normal brands like Levis or Lee or whatever she wears, and works perfectly!! I was also an overall kind of girl, so that worked so awesome. I also wore athletic pants (the swishy ones) which were "in style" and brace-friendly. As for making this any easier, the best thing is to let her know that you support her. The worst part about bracing is thinking that no one understands. Even if you don't actually physically understand how if feels, let her explain everything she's feeling and react in a way that won't make her feel silly or "dumb" but tell her she's so brave and amazing for doing this. That way she'll trust you enough and you might not have as many lovely "teenage girl vs. brace/mom" arguements in a few years!! Good luck!
                Scoliosis for 8 years, Milwaukee, Providence & Boston braces. 35T 42L Dx'd with Chiari Malformation 8/06, decompression surgery + duraplasty 11/24/06.

Comment

I wore a brace when I was in middle school and then my first two years in high school. I am now out of the brace program, but I did not find it successful. I absolutely hated the brace. So, I know exactly how your daughter feels. My only other option for correcting my back is via yoga stretches that I have to do for the rest of my life.

Comment

Working...
                  X