Surgery date February 21st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery date February 21st

I have my surgery date for February 21st. As the date gets closer, I get more and more anxious. Any kind thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

Kkong

Our thoughts will be with you. I have not done surgery yet, but from what I've read on the forum, people suggest taking this time to do fun things with family/friends, and do something nice for yourself.

Best,
    Anya
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

KKong--many good thoughts with you on your upcoming surgery....do try a trip to relax you! I had lunches/dinners out with many friends & loved ones....enjoy food(if you like to eat!) because, at least for me, I was'nt to excited by many foods while on the painkillers..only lasted about 2-3 mths. Everybody's different on that. Make your bedroom your sanctuary..as Oprah says! Paint it, buy new lamps etc.. I spent a lot of time there & still do!!! Appreciate every day of your life..& know it can get better! Be positive! & Look past the surgery & visualize you recovering & getting stronger every day!!! you can do it..Ly
      ps. I practiced yoga & deep breathing exercises which helped a lot to relax me at sunset & sunrise...the worst times for me back then...

Comment

kkong-- my surgery is in about 4 or so weeks and im nervous also.for christmas i got my husband to get me a gift certificate for a massage and so i plan on going to do that at the end of this month to relax me.
        Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Comment

I highly recommend exercise -- as much of it as your body can stand. It will help you sleep and keep you on a more even keel. It's keeping me sane (relatively speaking )! It also helps you feel more in charge of your body, which is the scariest thing about this surgery, I think: the loss of control over what will happen.
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

kkong-
            I am 4 weeks post op and know how you are feeling-it is scary going into the "unknown". You will get through it just fine-this forum helped me so much because I could see how many people have gone through this surgery and were doing so well. I tried to read inspirational books every morning-my Bible, devotional books- it really helped me. We'll be praying for you!
            Cathie

Comment

Staying very busy with getting things all in order for your recovery helps. Do enjoy some fun times. Try not to go to the movies so much right now, make a list of movies that you want to see then rent them on DVD to watch during your recovery.
              Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
              Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
              Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
              Fused T2 to sacrum
              June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
              MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Kkong,

You have already received some great advice!!! I worked up until 10 days before surgery, then I spent my time off getting ready for it. Cleaning and preparing, what is referred to as nesting. What a huge mistake that was!!!

Do something fun!!!

Shari

Comment

Another thing I'm doing is planning a big party -- a "pre-op bash" with my wild and crazy musical friends. I don't care if the house is a big mess before I go in...we're hiring a cleaning lady during my recovery !
                  Chris
                  A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                  Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                  Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                  Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

As my surgery date got closer, I wasn't as anxious until the day of when I was actually on the stretcher... I was too busy trying to get things prepared for my leave at work and spending as much quality time with my boyfriend. My friends even suggested a 'Get Bent Before Sandy Gets Straight' party.

I cleaned my room for preparation, but my mom further cleaned it by throwing out everything. I'm glad she did because now, I really don't have anything to trip over and things are literally easy access with all my junk gone. I even got a mini-tv in my room since you'll be spending the early stages of recovery in bed...

Regardless, don't think too much about it but be focused on keeping healthy... I'm pretty thin and my doctor recommended that I eat and gain weight because calorie intake would help my healing process. Besides, you'll probably end up losing weight after the operation because of the side effects from drugs (constipation, loss of appetite, etc.).

Any questions, feel free to shoot me an email! Good luck!
                    Sandy
                    23 year old female, Analyst, Maryland
                    Diagnosed with scoliosis at age 11; wore the same brace for 3 years and never saw a doctor again until age 23
                    65 degree curve reduced to 28 degree after surgery
                    Posterior spinal fusion (T-2 to L-2) with segmental instrumentation and iliac crest graft surgery, December 4, 2006
                    Dr. John Stinson, The Orthopaedic Center, Rockville, Maryland

Comment

Sandy--that is funny as far as the party! & about the weight loss after surgery- I lost about 25 lbs & by mth 4(post-op) I started eating better & now I'm holding, at about 10- 15 lbs lower than my pre-surgery wt....I feel great. I never thought I'd ever in my entire adult life, have thin thighs... & now I do!!! My sisters are thinking of kicking me out of the family! Ly

Comment

Need to eat healthy

I'm having a lot of trouble with nausea. Don't know why I'm throwing up, probably nerves.

I will look for some new fitted clothes to wear. Maybe that will take my mind off the unknown.

KKong

Comment

Hi Kkong,

Don't spend too much time or money trying to find cloths that will fit you afterwards. You just don't know how your body will react after the surgery and what you will feel comfortable in.

That's just my opinion, but I lost 40 lbs and nothing fit me, but I was most comfortable in sweat suits and that kind of attire once I was out of my brace. It took me quite a while to gain the weight back.

Shari

Comment

Before my surgery I got a massage and a pedicure as a treat. To prepare I bought a couple of pairs of sweat pants and bras that did up in the front! The front fastening bras have been really helpful. I like what lelc2002 said - make your bedroom your sanctuary! I bought some novels for when I came home, and my husband set up a t.v. in the bedroom, and I got a tray that we placed next to me that held the phone, books, and remote, so I wouldn't have to reach over to the nightstand. Another really handy thing that my husband picked up was one of those extension switches for the lamp beside my bed - the cord was long enough (we tied it to the tray) so that I could flip off and on the lamp without getting up. I tried to keep busy....and like others have mentioned try to arrange fun things to do over the next little while.
                            Cena
                            Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
                            Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
                            July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Comment

shari-you & I are on the same wavelength....I totally agree on clothes...I only bought 3 shirts in medium the weeks before my surgery to try to keep me 'up'! I would not attempt to buy pants/jeans because I did'nt know what would happen with weight....Plus it was'nt until about month 4-5 that I was remotely interested in clothes. I did'nt feel too sexy wearing the 'brace'! Now, I have to watch myself since I now love to shop!
                              I have one side of the closet with new clothes for my new small size & the other with the big stuff......Ly

Comment

Working...
                              X