Information to help me decide on surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information to help me decide on surgery

Hi! I'm a 25-year-old who is considering surgery to correct a mild-moderate thoracolumbar curve (46 degrees). I have surgery scheduled for June but haven't made my final decision. I plan on making my final decision based on the results of an MRI I am to have to determine the degeneration of the discs below my curve.
    I was hoping to hear from someone else who had a similar curve and had surgery to correct it in adulthood. I appreciate any help, info., and advice anyone can give.
    One of my biggest questions right now is how well did the surgery alleviate your pain?
    Thanks for any help!!!
    Lindsey
    T-12 to L-3 posterior fusion
    Surgery July 30, 2007
    Dr. Lenke St. Louis, MO

I'm in the midst of deciding on surgery (mainly for pain) too, so I'm interested in what people write here to respond to you. What kind of pain are you having? ...I've had lots of MRI's and tomarrow am getting a CT scan because my orthopaedic surgeon suspects a stress fracture at L4. I am getting bending x-rays in February to see, if I was to get surgery, how far they would have to fuse.
    My pain is withstandable, more obnoxious than anything- i mean, i don't really know any different than how my back feels now, so i don't know if surgery would just make the pain worse or not.

Thanks for asking this question... people, respond!!!

Abbie
    aBbiE
    22 yr old F,KU college student
    Kyphoscoliosis...
    Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
    Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
    I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
    Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
    all smiles!

Comment

Hi...

I'm not sure I can be of much help, but I'll try. My curves were somewhat larger (around 60 degrees each) when I had my surgery. The overwhelming reason that I chose surgery was because of my pain and loss of function. Without those elements present, I think the decision is considerably harder.

I have a totally non-scientific quiz on my website that might help you consider some of the elements involved in this huge decision:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/ShouldYouHaveSurgery.htm

Good luck!

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda I had a look at your quiz.

The time that you put into it, the excellent questions, the fairness of looking at both sides of the question, well done, This I am sure will be such a great tool to help people decide.

I am honestly stuck for words. That should be a first!!

God bless
        Macky xx
        Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
        Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Thanks for your kind words Macky.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda
            Thanks so much for the quiz link. I think it gave me important considerations for surgery and definitely pinpointed some of my hesitations to proceeding with surgery.
            My curve isn't progressing but I have a lot of back pain and I've always been extremely self-conscience about the asthetic aspect of my scoliosis. I just don't want to focus on the wrong reasons to proceed with surgery and end up getting myself into more trouble than when I began.
            Thanks for giving me some insight.
            Lindsey
            Lindsey
            Surgery July 30, 2007
            Dr. Lenke St. Louis, MO

Comment

Hi Abbie...I think you and I are in similar boats.
              My pain is in the thoracolumbar area...the majority of the time it's an annoying dull pain on occasion it's worse. At night it takes me about 30 minutes to find a comfortable position to sleep in
              My surgeon wants an MRI to check for degeneration of the discs below my curve to determine how much of my spine needs to be included in surgery
              Lindsey
              Surgery July 30, 2007
              Dr. Lenke St. Louis, MO

Comment

yeah i totally understand where you are coming from on the sleeping thing and finding a comfortable position. I am more and more leaning towards surgery... i think after i get my bending xrays feb. 12th and talk to my dr. about surgery i'll be more "for sure" one way or the other.
                I'm interested to know what direction you decide to take and why... I am so caught up in this and my biggest fear is just making my back pain worse...
                Abbie
                aBbiE
                22 yr old F,KU college student
                Kyphoscoliosis...
                Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
                Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
                I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
                Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
                all smiles!

Comment

Working...
                X