questions about shriner's phili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about shriner's phili

How do they handle parents at Shriner's in Philadelphia? My daughter will basically have 4 parents there since her dad and I are divorced and remarried.

They mentioned something about a "parent apartment" or something. What is this like? Is there a place to wash clothes? What type of bed is there?

Do they have wireless internet throughout the hospital?

Can 2 of us stay in the room with her? Can a parent stay in the room when she is in ICU (at Temple)?
    Thanks,
    Gayle
    Mom to Chelsea - 13yo with 60 degrees kyphosis due to Sheuremann's Disease. T8-T12 have fused together (on their own) anteriorly.
    Dr. Betz (Shriner's Philladelphia) states that she needs anterior release and posterior fusion

Hi Gayle,

I will tell you everything I can remember from three years ago when my son had surgery there.

The apartments you mention are just like hotel rooms. You can sleep, shower, etc. If I recall, there were two double beds. There is a separate area to wash and dry your clothes.

I believe that if the child is under 12 then one parent can sleep at their bedside which is what I did. After the first night, my husband slept at a nearby Ronald McDonald House. I'm not sure how many parents they will accommodate for sleeping. It may be just one.

When my son was in ICU at Temple they did not provide a cot or anything in the room, but you could basically stay as long or as late as you wanted.

I'm not sure about the wireless internet. I may have heard that they have that now but I'm not 100% sure. If I have left any questions unanswered, just call the hospital and I'm sure someone will be able to answer them.

Good luck. And let me just add that the care my son received, both at Temple and at Shriners, was amazing. They will take wonderful care of your daughter and since Dr. Betz is performing her surgery, she could not be in better hands. When is her surgery scheduled for?
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Gayle, One parent can stay with your daughter when she is in Temple ICU overnight. There is a recliner for you to sleep on. When my daughter was there my husband slept in the recliner and I slept upstairs at Temple in a room shared by another mom who's child was in ICU. When she was at Shriners I slept in a cot by her bed every night even though she was14 years old. As Maria stated there are hotel like rooms upstairs with 2 twin beds that you may have to share with a parent of another child. They are great places to unwind, shower and sleep. You have a locked closet in the room to keep your belongings. Full size washer and dryers are on that floor as well.You can sleep in your daughter's room or upstairs; it is your choice. However, the other parent ( parents) have to sleep elsewhere. Shriners provides a list of neaby hotels and the Ronald McDonald house. Internet is available in the hospital. Best of luck. Mindy

Comment

Working...
      X