Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery tomorrow

Hi everyone,

I originally posted in the "Adolescent and Teen Patients" section, but since I'm nearly nineteen now, I thought I'd say hello here. I'm have a forty degree curve which my doctor expects to increase and thinks would benefit from the surgery since it does cause me a considerable amount of pain at times. I'm having the surgery tomorrow. I'm not particularly nervous about it since I know I'll be in good hands. I guess I'll post back in a week or so and let everyone know how it went.

Robbie.

Hi Robbie, good luck tomorrow . You will be fine I am sure because as you said you will be in good hands.

I will be praying for you, and looking forward to your post to tell us what happened.

God bless,
    Macky
    Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
    Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

We are all thinking about you!

I will pray for strength for you and for those who take care of you during surgery and your recovery.

Keep us posted on your recovery. We will all be jealous since you are so young and will recover so quickly, I'm sure!

Joan

Comment

Thank you both for the replies.

I came home on Wednesday after five days in the hospital. The surgery went well. My doctor said he was able to get a much better correction than he originally anticipated. I'm not sure what degree it is now.

I'm not actually in as much pain as I thought I would be. I've mostly just been laying around in bed for the last couple of days. I think I'll start doing some short walks around the village with my mum tomorrow.

It's almost impossible to find a comfortable position to sit in. I'm sitting on a computer chair with a cushion underneath me which isn't too bad, but I can't sit on it for too long. Laying flat on my bed is pretty much the only comfortable place. The only problem with that is it's so boring, lol. Reading is only entertaining for so long, and I find television extremely boring most of the time. Ah well. Things will improve soon, I'm sure.

Comment

sounds like you are doing pretty well! I am interested to know how you continue to do, as we are the same age pretty much and have similar curves. I might be having surgery this summer because my curves keep increasing as well. Keep healing well!

Abbie
          aBbiE
          22 yr old F,KU college student
          Kyphoscoliosis...
          Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
          Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
          I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
          Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
          all smiles!

Comment

good luck 9 from some one who has had this done )

hi , I see that you are having surgury, well you have come to the right place at the right time. My name it taylor and no I am not 19 but merly 13 i have had spine surgury. it was about 4 months ago. but all you need to do I get better. when you get out of the surgury u might feel very funny and you also might feel like you are in another world. you might also get funny almost like visions but they won't come true this is because of the morfine. i am sure that you are in great hands an I am wishing you the best of luck I will keep you in my prayers.

best of luck your friend
            ~Taylor ~

Comment

Hi Robbie, wow how good is that eh!! Its all over and you are OK. I am so very very glad that things have worked out so well for you.

Also you got a much better correction that previously thought,that just great.

God bless,
              Macky xx
              Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
              Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Thanks.

I had the stitches removed today. The nurse said the wound is healing well. She was running behind in seeing patients, and ended up keeping us waiting in the waiting room for forty minutes. My back felt absolutely awful after that.

I've been going on some short walks around our village today and yesterday. I think I went a bit far yesterday and ended collapsing on my bed afterwards.

Comment

Slow and easy does it Robbie. Listen to your body and if it is telling you to go a bit easier do so. I has taken me many years to realise that.

Macky xx

Comment

I took a quick trip to the supermarket with my mother yesterday. It's only fifteen minutes down the road. The car ride went well, but my back started aching as we walked around the store. I felt kind of bad because my mum had to do all of the bag packing and stuff. In England you don't get people to do it for you.
                    She had a right go at me when I picked up some small things, lol.

I've been getting very little pain the last few days which surprises me. I haven't been taking hardly any of the painkillers I was prescriped.

Comment

You have come so far Robbie. I can remember when you first of all started posting. I just love your posts and am so proud of you. Your mum is keeping a very close eye on you eh!

Macky

Comment

Hi Robbie,

Congratulations on your recovery so far!!! There will be many people around your age that will gain alot of insight. Sometimes I'm a little jealous of you youngsters. Keep us informed on your progress!!!

Shari

Comment

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the nice comments. I haven't been doing badly at all the last few days. I've had very little pain, and I've only been taking one Voltarol a day. I can finally sit comfortably on this computer chair, and even the sofa feels pretty comfortable, but of course, my bed is the most comfortable. I went out with my mum and brother shopping yesterday. We were out for an hour or so and I felt fine. Only a tiny bit of pain towards the end. My mum's car is very comfortable - her seats are pretty straight, which is good.

I had a shower on my own the day before yesterday, which went well. We don't have a shower chair, so I had to skip washing my legs, lol. Next time I'll get my mum to help me with them.

I can dress myself perfectly well. The first few days when I got home, I didn't bother or just had my mum help me because I couldn't lift my arms above my head, but now I have very little trouble at all. I still have to sit on the edge of the bed to put on underwear and trousers, though.

I was FINALLY able to take my darned anti-embolism stockings off today. They wanted me to wear them for two weeks at home. Annoying things, lol. I'm glad they're gone!

I finally got around to scanning my x-ray:

http://www.robbieshields.net/x-ray.JPG
                          Last edited by Robbie; 01-24-2007, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X