Being made fun of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being made fun of

Am i the only person out there that gets made fun of for my brace? It was mostly when i was taking PE and had to change in the locker room, but i still have random people at school that i have NEVER met before walk up and ask me what i am wearing under my clothes. I absolutely HATE these people.
    Maybe its just all the mean [and extremely ghetto] people out here in the Bay Area [also known to ghetto people and the YAY area...yeah i dont get it either].
    I was just wondering. Maybe i should move. LOL i wish, that's wont happen until i go to college in only TWO years [and a few months]
    Thanks for everything guys, it makes me feel like im not the ONLY person in the world going through this [just the only one in cali!]
    Molly
    PS i even had this girl that HAS scoliosis make fun of me. Her's isnt bad enough for a brace, but i bet it will be soon!

my name is molly
    i am 15 and a sophmore in highschool
    i got my back brace at age 13
    i should stop wearing it REALLY soon
    my curves are 38 and 43 degrees
    i've had scoliosis since i was 7
    my legs used to be uneven
    but now they look much more balanced!
    and hopefully my scoliosis will start to get better
    Oh, and i'm raising a lamb. her name is Violet and she's super cute!

WHOA!!!!!!! Slow down here. Are you sure that these people aren't just curious? If all they are doing is asking you what's under your clothes, that's not teasing. If they are teasing you, ask yourself why. Yes, they are being predjudiced and perhaps judgemental. You refer to some people in the area as the "ghetto people", could you be doing the same thing? So far as the brace not doing anything, it may not have stopped your curve from progressing, but it may have slowed it's progress. It's hard to say whether or not you'll need surgery, but if you do have surgery there's little doubt that wearing the brace will have an affect on the amount of correction that will be achieved. Here's the deal, there is a limit to how much a person's spine can be straightened with surgery, and that will also vary from person to person, but in general, the bigger the curve before surgery, the bigger the curve after surgery.

Let go of the anger that you have. It sounds as if you have alot of anger over having scoliosis, and about having to wear a brace. You need to learn to accept what cards life has dealt you and carry on. Staying angry about it won't change things, but what it will do is keep you miserable. It's not as if you are going to wear a brace the rest of your life. Remember that if people can't accept you the way you are, with or without a brace, that's THEIR problem, NOT yours.

Comment

Slice that was exactly what I was thinking but could not have put it as eloquently as yourself.

Scoliosis_Gal in the road of life you are going to come across a lot of bumps and sometimes there will not be a lot you can do about it. You just need to accept these things and get on with living.

My operation for Scoliosis, plaster for 6 months and a brace for 6 months, yes took 12 months for me to get it all done. I wasnt angry about it. I was 15 as well by the time I actually got to have it done. People at school asked me of course what was all that plaster for (from my neck to my hips) but they were only curious. I Told them and I found honesly that because my attitude was well its gotta be done, theirs was lets try to help her get on with it.

Sorry but name calling "Ghetto people" I didnt like that at all. Segregation is a terrible thing and obviously it is still going on in this day and age. That really breaks my heart. If people name call you, you are only bringing yourself down to their level by name calling them back.

God bless,
      Macky
      Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
      Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Thanks for all the help you guys, i guess your right.
        As for the 'ghetto people' thing, maybe i was a little out of line. Ive never really thought about it before, I've just grown up like that. Im sorry if I offended anybody by it.

my name is molly

Comment

what i do about PE is that i go 2 the nurse, take it off in the nurses bathroom, store it under the desk, and come back at the end. im always asked why im late for gym and the class after gym but it helps me participate in gym better.
          i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

Glad to hear that response Scolio Gal. It upsets me a little to think that kids who are different - say have scoliosis and wear a brace, or other problems that require a brace of some type, or something else that causes them to be different, feel that they need to try and hide it because of teasing, or ridicule. Perhaps schools need to do more to teach tolerance and acceptance so that these kids can have as normal lives as possible - that is things like being able to change in the locker room for gym, rather than having to go to the nurses office or somewhere else to take their brace off first. For all of you who are dealing with any medical issues, be proud of yourself and what you are achieving, and if you feel that you're getting grief from other kids go to a teacher, or the school principal, or someone else in the school system and "light a fire" under them to get a program going to educate other kids about kids being different and accepting them for who they are. You might be interested to know, that discrimination, is a learned behavior. Whether people/kids learn it from their peers, or from their elders, it's learned. Some times it's not so much a case of teaching them TO discriminate, but NOT teaching them tolerance and acceptance.

Comment

Scoliosis Gal,
              You are at a very difficult age.There are alot of pressures now,scoli and the brace being the easiest (believe that or not).My daughter is 12 in junior high.We live in Arkansas now I have NEVER seen so much racism in my life before.My daughter had the same attitude its"only those girls".My daughter is Bi racial,Im white her biological father is Half white,half black.So in social situations she is having to deal w/ the brace and her race.We are living in a community that does not accept difference.Im so proud to be her mom.From the time she was born I have reminded her daily not to hide or be ashamed of who and what she is.Jan 3 2007 was her first day back at school,and boy was she nervous going for the first time w/ her brace.She said whenever people looked at her funny , asked questions or made jokes,shed lift up her shirt and say I have scoli and have to wear this but isnt it cute its pink and purple w/butterflies.When people make fun of you its there own insecurities coming through.They cut you down to make themselves feel better.Hold your head up high!!! High school is such a small fraction of our lives and as far as the social part so unmeaningful.The other people are right by you making the "racial stereotype comments back" brings you down as a person.People are mean because of who they are and how they are raised,not the color of their skin,trust me I know first hand!!You will be a happy person in the end. Also try scolikids forum,my daughter gets alot of advice from girls her age in the same situation..It really helped her.
              Mother of Nichole 12yrs old and Madison 4yrs old

Comment

purple and pink with butterflies?

I WANT THAT ONE. i got this pink camo one but it has like pink, blue, and yellow in it. =p
                i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

DUDE! i want a colorful brace! that would be like the co0o0o0oliest thing in the WORLD! I didnt have any options. Whenever you can see the top of my brace it is so0o0oper white, and i tried to use some spray tan stuff that was lying around the house to make it darker. I tried it on my old brace, but it only made it gross and slimy Oh well.
                  Thanks everyone for all the great support

my name is molly

Comment

Scoliosis Gal, you probably won't be able to get a different brace (just for the appearance), but why not decorate your own? Look for things like decals/stickers on plastic film, not paper, and see if you can paint your brace. Before you use any adhesives (glues), or paints, check with the orthotist (the person who made your brace) to make sure that they are compatible with the plastic, and won't damage it.

Comment

I asked the guy that made my brace if i could paint it, and he said that he didnt know. I kept my old brace so that i can practice on it so that i dont ruin my new one. The guy told me that i would have to try it out, but he didnt think it would work because it is an oil based plastic, so an oil based paint wouldnt work. I guess I will just have to see how much longer i need to wear it. Last time i went my orthopedics doc told me i should be done around Feb, because i have stopped growing. Unfortunately I havent actually stopped growing, but i have slowed WAY down.
                      I think i might try to look for some of those stickers though!

my name is molly

Comment

WOW, that is such a cool idea. What wonderful advice to decorate the brace, it would make you feel so much better about wearing it and you would have something to show people( when you are getting changed for gym). I just know people would be really interested to see it all done up with stuff.
                        You would never offend anyone Scoliosis gal and sweety I am so glad that now you have come to realise how it sounds, you will think twice about continuing to do it, I am so proud of you.

My little angel, I think in life the adversities that we face really do make us stronger and I know you will agree with this. Your story still made me sad though but I am so proud of your daughter, every day she gets up to go to school tell her there is someone over in Tassie batting for her.

Yep, show it to them, up with the shirt, she has got what it takes.

God bless,
                        Mackyxxx
                        Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
                        Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Scolio Gal, I hadn't thought about the fact that the plastic used to make the brace might be oil based. Paint may work, but you'll need to make sure that the surface is not "glass smooth". It'll take a bit or work, but rough up the surface lightly with some sandpaper. You really just need to scuff it up a bit. It's a good idea to try a test on the old brace first. You might also want to try permanent markers, and paint pens. You can have one of your folks help you with this as you can find places online where they can purchase them for you. Just google "paint pens". I might be able to check a couple of things out for you but if you can get me a little more info, it would help a great deal, or you may be able to do it yourself. You might ask the brace maker, who they get their plastic from. If you get that, you, or your parents, may be able to contact the company that makes the plastic, to find out what kind of plastic it is. This way, you can find out what paints and other stuff are compatible and will not damage the plastic, but will stick. Good luck.

Comment

Macky
                            Thank you so much.I am also so very proud of her.I was amazed at how she handles her situation.Nothing has felt better than when she told me I made her this way by teaching her to be proud.Sad but tue the brace was harder on me than her .
                            Also for the others wearing the brace I am so glad to see spirits lifting over decorating your braces.Our Dr gave her a book of designs where her straps are pink and everything.Next brace it wouldnt hurt to ask!!!Also Walmart and Home Depot carry a paint specially made to paint plastic!!!If im not mistaken its by Krylon,you can grab some stencils and have fun!!!
                            Mother of Nichole 12yrs old and Madison 4yrs old

Comment

Working...
                            X