Stitches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stitches

I was wondering how long it takes for stitches to come out?

I have dissolving stitches... And it's been about a month since the surgery. They are still in and haven't fallen off yet.
    Sandy
    23 year old female, Analyst, Maryland
    Diagnosed with scoliosis at age 11; wore the same brace for 3 years and never saw a doctor again until age 23
    65 degree curve reduced to 28 degree after surgery
    Posterior spinal fusion (T-2 to L-2) with segmental instrumentation and iliac crest graft surgery, December 4, 2006
    Dr. John Stinson, The Orthopaedic Center, Rockville, Maryland

Hi Sandy...

I've never heard of external dissolving stitches. (I am familiar with internal dissolving stitches.) Anyone else?

Edit: I did a search and found this:

http://health.howstuffworks.com/question611.htm

So, it appears that they can dissolve at different rates, depending on how they're manufactured.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

For my first surgery I had disolving stitches holding the incision together, although they weren't visible from the outside - the skin was rolled under, so essentially they were internal. This last surgery, the disolving stitches were internal, and I had staples externally. Can you see the stitches?
      Cena
      Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
      Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
      July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Comment

Friday will be 1 month post-op for me and one of the stitches just fell out last night. Also I had one to pop up under the skin and the doctor told me today that if it hadn't come out by the time I see the surgeon on the 19th to tell him about it. He will just have to remove it. Most of the time those that don't dissolve will eventually work their way to the surface. Nothing to worry about--just telll the doc.
        Linda G.

Comment

It's been 1 month post-op, and I haven't seen the appearance of my incision/scar yet... Around the neck, I was able to feel two fishline-like things sticking out. I asked my baby sister and she said that they looked like the stitches... So, maybe a stitch did work its way up to the surface of my skin. It's been a few days now, and I don't feel anything sticking out around my neck.

Thanks for the link...
          Sandy
          23 year old female, Analyst, Maryland
          Diagnosed with scoliosis at age 11; wore the same brace for 3 years and never saw a doctor again until age 23
          65 degree curve reduced to 28 degree after surgery
          Posterior spinal fusion (T-2 to L-2) with segmental instrumentation and iliac crest graft surgery, December 4, 2006
          Dr. John Stinson, The Orthopaedic Center, Rockville, Maryland

Comment

Hi Sandy,

I was so worried about everything after my surgery, but my stitches that didn't dissolve, popped out. Really nothing to worry about there!!!

Actually, my husband enjoyed looking for them, weird I know, he just wanted to pull them out. I was sorry there weren't more of them for his entertainment!!!

Shari

Comment

Working...
            X