summer camp...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• summer camp...

if there a summer camp for kids with scoliosis / a brace???
    my friend who has diebeties goes to a camp for that and
    i thought there should be like a back brace camp too !!!
    like an indoor thing because it gets REALLY hot in the brace.
    they better create one or i`ll do it myself. =] =] =]
    i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

OMG I think that is such a good idea! They could have some sooper coolio stuff to do that wouldnt be hard for people in a brace, or that have a bad back. They should offer massages, LMAO! Totally daydreaming now.
    I would hecka help out with that! it would be OOBER cool
    There are so many people that have scoliosis, but like none of them live in Cali. Seams like everyone who actually posts stuff on this site is from the east coast and the middle of the US. Poor me, I'm over here all alone

my name is molly
    i am 15 and a sophmore in highschool
    i got my back brace at age 13
    i should stop wearing it REALLY soon
    my curves are 38 and 43 degrees
    i've had scoliosis since i was 7
    my legs used to be uneven
    but now they look much more balanced!
    and hopefully my scoliosis will start to get better
    Oh, and i'm raising a lamb. her name is Violet and she's super cute!

Comment

molly.

i know! haha when i did physical therapy a HOTTTT guy gave me mausauges. he was MARRIED. ughh. and i am on the east coast but your not alone. =] i feel like im alone at times too. =]

Comment

omg that would totally be a good idea b/c i really was thinking about going 2 summer camp this summer but i no i cant cuz i have my brace and i figured that I wouldnt b able 2 do anything we did. someone should start that.
        I am 14

I love knitting, reading, dancing, singing, acting, etc.

I have a boston brace

My curves are 18 and about 9 in my brace

Originally my curves were about 15 and 30

I wear my brace 18-20 hours a day

Comment

If i were you, i would totally go to summer camp anyways and 'accidentally' leave my brace behind...oops!!! I did that one time...I went to my cousins wedding and i wasnt wearing my brace so that i could dance and stuff. I knew that i would end up going to my aunt's house, because that always happens. I just acted like i didnt think it would happen...and i got to go! i had to wear my cousin's clothes though, and she is 2 years younger than me so i had to wear sweats so that they would fit!
          I totally want a summer camp now, even though i wont have my brace much longer...Yay!

my name is molly

Comment

hhaa.

oopsies. haha. my parents would like makesure i had it on. they sometimes watch me like a HAWK with that thing. =p

SOMEONE START A BRACE CAMP PEAS?

Comment

My mom has been way less strict about me wearing a brace b/c i had this REALLY bad breakdown. Dont remember why though. It had something to do with being left out of something, like a party, b/c i had to wear my brace and couldnt do something. I dont remember...it was this summer. Or maybe i had a breakdown b/c of the UNBEARABLE heat. It was probably both! i had a lot of breakdowns....its not good. It sucks
              We should do a search for brace camps, or even scoliosis camps, that way i can go too :].
              Have you seen pics for the Spinecor brace? I did research on it and it looks WAY better. Its just a bunch of straps! It looks hard to put on though. Google search Spinecor brace for scoliosis under images...its freekin awesome!

my name is molly

Comment

Hey guys, I di a search for scoli camps when this thread first started, and sorry to say that it didn't look hopeful. So far as not having the brace on for all of the time set by your doctor, being out of the brace for a couple/few extra hours on a given day, and have it happen only oce in a while, probably won't hurt you too much. But going for many days to a week (or more) could potentially lead to problems. For one, if you do that often, you'll start kidding yourself that you're okay without it and get more and more lax about wearing it. There have been many, many stories of kids who have not work their brace as they should have and then ended up having surgery. Although wearing a brace is no guarantee that you'll avoid surgery, it will certainly increase the odds, especially if the curve was caught early. Try looking at things this way, instead of thinking about what you supposedly can't do in a brace, be thinking in terms of how to do the same thing, only differently. Yes, there are some things that you will be told specifically not to do in the brace, and you should follow those guidelines. But aside from those things, everything else may be harder at first, but once you figure out how to do it, and get used to it, things will get better. Remember that alot of things that are new to you are tough to do at first, but not after you've had the time to work it out. So far as having the brace off for days at a time, the other thing is that you just have to get yourself used to it again when you start putting it back on. If you are having problems adjusting, and you're fairly sure that not jus impatience, see if you can get a referal to a/your physical therapist form your doctor to get more advice. I suspect that the reason why there are no camps specifically for kids with scoliosis, is that there are not the special needs that are associated with physical challenges, obesity, diabetes, asthma, etc. In short, having a brace is an inconvenience/annoyance that may create certain challenges, but you should still be as average as most other healthy kids, who don't have to deal with diets, or medications, or need a camp that is adapted for the physically challenged. Here's an idea for you. It's not a camp, but see if you can find other kids in your community, or nearby communities that you can get together with (be sure to work with your parents on this). The key here is to be with other kids and share common experiences and there are other ways to do that other than a special camp. In some ways you are doing some of that here on the website (yeah, I know it's not the same as actually getting together). I want to stress to you the importance of getting your parents involved for your safety. They don't necessarily have to be around all the time, but you want them to help make sure that you don't get lured into a bad/dangerous situation. One thing you might do is talk to your doctor, or orthopod to see if they can help you get in touch with other families. It might be a good idea to see if you can get someone to sponsor a group, like a church, a local hospital or something like that. Sorry that this is so long.

Comment

Just wanted to pop in and say that Molly, you are not alone...I am from the LA area. Cali rocks!!! There are a few of us from the West coast, but not many.
                  Mandy

Comment

the_slice

heyy! good idea but no one around here has it really. i asked the nurse that works at both schools and she said the people that have it [ besides me ] dont have a brace anymore. =/

Comment

most of the people in my area dont have a brace, but there are a few that have scoliosis. I just dont think there is a big enough group to start something out here. I think it would be really cool if we could have a camp. but it is something that would be REALLY hard to get started, especially with the fact that everyone is spread around the WORLD. So yeah, that may be potentially problematic...

my name is molly

Comment

Originally posted by Scoliosis_Gal
                        most of the people in my area dont have a brace, but there are a few that have scoliosis. I just dont think there is a big enough group to start something out here. I think it would be really cool if we could have a camp. but it is something that would be REALLY hard to get started, especially with the fact that everyone is spread around the WORLD. So yeah, that may be potentially problematic...
                        yea they should totally start a scoliosis camp! they have cancer camps and stuff wat about us scoliosis people?! i feel left out too! i live in Sheboygan,Wisconsin! it's cold here but then again it's good for me sometimes cuz i get hot in the brace! he he he!
                        Hey i'm Nicole,
                        i'm 16, i like to write stories
                        and poems.
                        I never come on here so...
                        peace

Comment

omg that is a good idea about the camp i'll help you with it heather talk to ya later
                          Jodi Lynn
                          Milwaukee Brace from age 11-13
                          Surgery June 30th (age 14)
                          Now 16 and as happy as ever
                          *Brace Yourself*

Comment

ahaha. we need to have one. =) if theres a foundation, there should be a camp. xD

Comment

idea

okay do u guys think i should send a message 2 the president of the site and suggest the camp? do u think he could do anything about it?
                              I am 14

I love knitting, reading, dancing, singing, acting, etc.

I have a boston brace

My curves are 18 and about 9 in my brace

Originally my curves were about 15 and 30

I wear my brace 18-20 hours a day

Comment

Working...
                              X