vitamins before surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vitamins before surgery

just wondering if there are certain vitamins that drs recommend taking before a big surgery?
    Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Naturepath...

As for vitamins, I took a whole wack of stuff before surgery. My mum is really into natural medicine and took me to a naturepath doctor (I think that's what it's called) and I was taking about 15 vitamins a day. I remember only a few of them (It was 6 yrs ago) there was definitley zinc, B12, and arnica. I would highly suggest going to a naturepath doctor, or herbalist even before surgery. I quit eating fast food/junk food and didn't drink any carbonated beverages (pop, etc) for almost a year beforehand and my recovery was fast and efficient. Just my opinion ofcourse! It was great for my skin, weight and overall morale as well, waiting for surgery can be very stressful and emotional and these things helped ease the pressure - family, friends & prayer helped ofcourse too.

Take care of yourself! All the best in your surgery.
    lisanicolegrace
    29/F/Canada
    Surgery - 11/10/2000
    80° curve to 19° post op.
    www.lisanicolegrace.com
    @lisanicolegrace
    facebook
    x-rays
    picture of my back

Comment

Supplements before surgery

I would highly suggest going to a naturepath doctor, or herbalist even before surgery
      .lisanicole

Not so fast!!!

Not everyone knows how these things interact with surgery and anesthesia. For example certain herbs cause bleeding or blood clots, heart irregularities, high or low blood pressure or have unknown interactions with anesthesia. Vit E can cause excessive bleeding; too much vitamin C causes diarrhea.

Does an herbalist know about anesthesia? I doubt it. Some of these peoples' recommendations are based on their wallet and patient gullibility.

Before my spine surgery my surgeon gave me prescriptions(supplements) for what he wanted me to take. I took them as directed and did fine.

Last week I had my gallbladder out. I was directed to take NO herbs or supplements for 5 days before. I was allowed to take a multivitamin, my calcium and Vit D. That's it.

Sometimes what we do not know can hurt.
      Last edited by Karen Ocker; 01-02-2007, 05:49 PM.
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

my doctor had me take iron and calcium before I had my surgery. I have osteopenia and low iron. But before taking anything I would check with the doctor to make sure that it is alright.
        25 yr old female =^_^=
        Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
        Lumbar curve 23 degrees
        surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
        Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Comment

It's usually Vit.C and iron together, and then hours later (or before) calcium b/c if taken with iron; calcium does not assimilate as well, and vice versa.

A multi vitamin is good too.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Sorry...

I had a list of everything I was taking approved by my doctor, and surgeon. I just thought that was common sense, sorry I forgot to mention it.
            lisanicolegrace
            29/F/Canada
            Surgery - 11/10/2000
            80° curve to 19° post op.
            www.lisanicolegrace.com
            @lisanicolegrace
            facebook
            x-rays
            picture of my back

Comment

Working...
            X