Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rehab close to home or close to hospital??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rehab close to home or close to hospital??

Hi all -- I will probably go to rehab after my surgery, and my surgery will be two hours from my home. I'm wondering if it would be better to go to a rehab in NY -- close to the hospital and to Dr. Boachie -- or take the wild ambulance ride to a rehab near my home so my family (especially my daughter) can visit. My family will be taken care of as long as I'm gone, so I don't have to worry about that. What do you guys think?? -- Thanks!

I can't wait til the holidays are over because I have entirely too much time on my hands to think about all this stuff.....!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Chris:
    I took the ambulance ride to a place near home. It was much easier on my family and actually you would not need to see Boachie until a month later. They will give you pain meds before you take the trip; you will need it.
    The rehab hospital can check with Boachie about what you need. A rehab doc is on-site to take care of all your needs and you can leave the hosp sooner if you go to a rehab place. Ask around for recommendations. Most are covered by insurance.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi Chris...

Most of the people I know who have had to go to rehab, have chosen a rehab close to their home. Unless something really goes wrong, you will not be seen by Dr. Boachie or any of his residents/fellows, etc., so there's probably no compelling reason to stay close to him.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Chris,

I'm not quite sure if my response applies, but I had to go through PT before I left the hospital. And then I had a therapist visit me a home for a few weeks afterwards.

I have to agree that being close to home, family and friends will be much more comforting!!!

It's so very hard to put this impending surgery in the back of your mind, no matter what is going on in your life at the time. It does help to ask questions, even though it doesn't always ease the fear. We're all here for you!!!

When I think back, I often wonder which was worse, the waiting or the surgery? And I think it was the waiting, because I had good drugs after the surgery!!!

Shari

Comment

I was close to home when I went to rehab and was very glad. I was able to see my son everyday.
          surgery 9/06
          Rothman institute

Comment

close is nice & convenient for visitors..

It was extremely important to me to see my boys & husband & therefore be close by. The rehab was 10 minutes from our home so that was great! They could come visit me every day for short visits. Since I did'nt see my kids until the rehab, I was so excited to see them each day & other friends could drop by easily. It was very nice at that stage to have visitors. One a day was about all I could handle.. One day I remember having a friend visit in the morning & then my family in the afternoon & physical therapy & meals in between...I was absolutely exhausted......Ly

Comment

Chris, you are lucky you can choose! I live in Hawaii, and my surgery is in Oakland, Ca. I'm about to find out what my Kaiser insurance will actually cover, etc. I'm sure your surgeon has to "prescribe" rehab to have it covered. Anyone know about any of this? I also have to see if they'll cover my transportion!
              I now have my surgery scheduled, FINALLY!! It's March 29th, and that seems so far away, but I guess it's not. Linda says it will be here before I know it. Dr. Gorek at Oakland Kaiser will be my surgeon and he said to figure on about a month in the area. (one week or so in the hospital)
              And.....I had the pleasure to meet Linda Racine when I came for my consultation, and she's great! We met up for lunch in Berkeley. I think I have a lot to do meanwhile to get ready, plus we are moving between now and then!! (close by) OH MY!

berta
              Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Tnanks all. There is an excellent rehab about 15 minutes from my home...I guess I've been nervous about the ride to the rehab but...I'm sure I'll be anxious to see my family by then.

Berta, maybe the move between now and your surgery will be a good thing -- it'll keep your mind off things!! March will be here before you know it. I can't believe how quickly time is going now that I have an actual surgery date myself.
                Chris
                A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Chris, YES, moving should be a big distraction....but hard because I can't help as much as I use to be able to. I'm in so much pain all of the time, so I'll just be pointing fingers! I wear a lumbar brace (just one of those drug store kind with back stays and velcrose) but it helps so much when I have to be on my feet for long, and then I can do a few smaller chores. I'm lucky to have a couple of grown kids not too far that will help pack up stuff. They asked what I wanted for xmas, and I told them..."work" and that's what I got. Yea!

Does anyone have a list of what items to have at home post surgery, such as the grabber, etc.? Also how and what to set up your home? I know about some, such as situating items you use a lot at arm level. Any more?
                  Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Hi Berta,

When Linda R. sees this post, she'll give you a link to answer your questions.

Good luck with your moving, And I'm actually a litttle jealous you got to meet her!!!

Shari

Comment

Hi Berta...

I'm sorry, I didn't see your request for the list. This should help:

Regards,
                      Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you Linda! I knew there had to be a real list out there. I can't wait to read it and after my move, (should be all done by the end of this month) I'll start getting organized, since by then my surgery will only be 2 months away!
                        Oh my.....
                        Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Hi Chris,

Your waiting time will start flying by now that you are in the final stretch. I was told that I would probably go to a rehab hospital as well, but once the doctor knew that someone was going to be home with me for a week or so I didn't have to go. Maybe the same thing can happen for you. My husband or my daughter worked out their schedules where one of them was always here. I mainly needed them the first week only to help with my showers, and someone to talk to when I was awake.
                          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                          Fused T2 to sacrum
                          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Working...
                          X