was anyone able to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• was anyone able to?

wear pajamas in the hospital or had to wear a hospital gown the whole time?
    Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

I know once the catheter was out I was allowed to wear underwear, which I was really happy about...and I think on the last day or two I wore my own clothes, once all the IV's were out.

Comment

Same with me...as soon as the catheter was out, I was able to wear my own underwear and yoga pants. It felt great being in my own clothes!

Comment

Yes, once the catheter is out, you will want your own underwear, pajama or sweat pants, socks or slippers. You could wear your own nightgown, but it seemed easier to me just to use their hospital gown on top. I didn't want a bra until I went home, then a loose, comfy one is best. A robe is nice for cooler weather.

Deb

Comment

I thought underwear would be wonderful but the waist band was uncomfortable. I wore a hospital gown until I went to rehab then wore scrubs that the hospital provided. They were really comfortable. Now at home I am wearing gowns with nothing under which feels much better with the brace. My skin is so sensitive that I don't want anything touching it.
          Linda G.

Comment

How many days did you guys have your catheter and IVs in?

Sue

Comment

I had a catheter for 3-4 days and gradually had different IV's taken out (I had several)...all of them were out by day 4.

Comment

I had mine in for about 5 days. one of the screws went too deep and punctured the dura. (oucH!) When the catheter was finally out I was wearing my own pajamas. I always wore my own socks though. My husband or my mom would put them on for me until I got this nifty device from the phys therapy people. I wasn't able to wear a bra for the duration of my stay, it wasn't until about 6 weeks or so after surgery was wearing a bra comfy. Thank goodness for the summer and the makers of the spaghetti strap shirts with added support.
                25 yr old female =^_^=
                Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
                Lumbar curve 23 degrees
                surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
                Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Comment

I wore hospital gowns

I wore one hospital gown with the ties in the back and then put another over that like a robe with the ties in the front. That kept everything covered!

I did not want to wear my own clothes because I had drains, IVs that had to be relocated several times, blood work, and some leaking from my incision. I did not want to get all that on my own clothes. I was comfortable in the double gown arrangement the whole time. I brought one elastic waist, knit outfit to wear home and several pair of underwear and socks but no other outfits or pajamas.

I did bring a washable quilt that was comforting to cover up with and wrap up in. The hospital blankets and linens are not very comforting.

I also brought a stuffed animal to hug.

Joan

Comment

I had a suitcase of pajamas etc with me in the hospital in NYC & I wore nothing but the hospital gown until the day I left the hospital(10th day) to go in the ambulance to the rehab in NJ.. It was too much effort & I did'nt care... the ambulance ride was crazy, that I remember!
                    as far as the catheter, I remember someone saying they were going to remove it...same with the chest tube but it's all a wierd dream now! I honestly don't remember hardly anything of my first week after surgery & that's just how I'd like to remember it...it worked out great..thks to the drugs & how exhausted I was!!! Ly

Comment

Me too Cathy, I was so out of it and in so much pain for the week I was in the hospital that I went commando and didn't wear the pj's I brought.

My last surgery I wore undies the second day after sugery but only b/c I got my period.
                      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I was in the hospital for 2 weeks and wor nothing but the hospital gown. I did bring a robe to wear over it for when I went to pt. I wore pj pants and t shirts in rehab.
                        surgery 9/06
                        Rothman institute

Comment

Can you lift your arms to put on a t-shirt by rehab? I thought we'd need only button up tops. Since I have to be gone from home a month, including everything, I need to really pack what I'll need. Can you pull up elastic pants? How long after surgery can you dress yourself, take a shower without help, etc.?
                          Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Berta---by the end of my hospital stay (10 days), I was able to get dressed except for shoes/sandals... & man was I ready by day 10 to leave the hospital. I had make-up/ eyeliner & all on!!! By the time I was at rehab, I was dressing myself/ bathroom, all except for showering..
                            I had many button down pajamas but went right for the danskin/sweats for therapy which I had 2 times a day. So I was able to put the shirts on over my head, carefully, without raising my arms too much. Pants/ underwear etc, I put on lying down on my bed..it was easiest for me. I was there in the summer so did'nt need socks which would have been difficult...
                            I wish I had bought a pair of slip on sneakers before hand but I made do with my sandals..
                            showering took the longest to do by myself.. I had one shower in rehab. by the nurse.When they have an opening, you take it! That was such a highlight of this surgery!!! I felt like a million bucks after that!!! The next one was given to me by my husband end of the first week....& then by the 2nd or 3 week home I was able to get on the shower chair by myself but kept him close by. I was real nervous about falling. Better safe than sorry....good luck w/ your surgery imn March. I wish you all the best & will be thking of you!!!
                            Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 12-31-2006, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Lynne,
                              Thanks so much! That helps me a lot. I just read your blog and it was so intense to hear another person with the same issues, and seeing your positive attitude and how you came thru. The clothing thing.....so hard to find something to wear, for the holidays, any day actually, etc. etc. I can't wait to care again, and not have to wear black all the time to help camouflage my curve. I can't wait to wear a belt and hope so much I gain some of my 2-3 inches I've lost, and mostly, not be in so much pain, daily!! I feel like 3 months is going to take forever, but then it will suddenly be here! Thanks.
                              Berta in Hawaii

Comment

Working...
                              X