All over back pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All over back pain?

Compared to most of you I have mild/moderate scoliosis, it's thoracolumbar, 35 degrees. Unchanged in the last 30 years.
    In july this year I had an L3/4 fusion and an artificial disc replacement at L4/5
    due to degenerative disc disease. The surgery was technically successful.
    Problem is, while the disc pain is mostly gone, my scoliosis pain seems a hundred times worse! Every back muscle from neck to buttock is painful. The worst area is the thoracic where I either had no pain before or else maybe it was just overshadowed by the lumbar disc pain.
    I've tried trigger point injections which didn't help and go to clinical pilates every week. Massage is too painful to endure , even pushing a finger anywhere on a muscle hurts. Is it possible that this is all from the scoliosis? I suspect that my pain management doc is thinking Fibromyalgia, how can you tell? Is it possible to have the lumbar "fixed" only to have the heightened discs
    cause too much strain on the already compromised thoracic area?
    Sorry there's a lot of questions here but I'm getting very frustrated here.

I had some herniated discs in my lumbar region, not sure at which points. I had injections that didn't work. I went to see a neurosurgeon and he referred me to an orthopaedic surgeon because he said that fixing one or two levels where the bad discs were would make the rest of my back worse.
    surgery 9/06
    Rothman institute

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your increase in pain! While I've had surgery for scoliosis, I recently had stabilization surgery for my lumbar spine, which included a disc decompression, replacement, and more instrumentation in my L4-L5 area. I'm 2 months post-op now, and although my old rods and fusion go to T4, I've had significant pain now in my upper back and shoulders, although they weren't touched in the surgery. My physiotherapist says that I'm holding my upper back really tight, almost protecting the lower spine. I find that it's almost like my upper curve is re-stabilizing or formatting itself with the changes that have taken place below. If you are up to it, let us know what you find out. Take care!
      Cena
      Nov. 2006 - revision surgery
      Aug. 1992 - revision surgery for hook removal and pseudoarthrosis
      July 1989 - Cortrell Doubosett procedure - two rods and fusion T4-L4 (age 13)

Comment

Working...
      X